SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#234952 - 05/30/08 10:51 AM Re: What is or was your favorite arranger of all time!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

Ian I hope Roland is READING & LISTENING to the public outcry on this and really looking into the weight issue & bring it down to a comfortable transportable unit for the everyday in the trenches performer. Otherwise they already have most features down pat!

I hope they are too, Donny...even though I wouldn't purchase a G70 for other reasons as well as weight, I'm sure there were many fans of the instrument that became frustrated with hauling it around.

Ah well, we'll see if they are listening if and when the new G-series arrives.

Ian

#234953 - 05/30/08 01:58 PM Re: What is or was your favorite arranger of all time!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I wouldn't purchase a G70 for other reasons as well as weight,
Ian

Ian please elaborate further ....what didn't you like on the G70?

#234954 - 05/30/08 03:32 PM Re: What is or was your favorite arranger of all time!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
In all fairness, the G70 isn't THAT much heavier than previous G-series arrangers. About four or five pounds over the G1000, if I remember correctly.

A keybed that good (read heavier) and a stiff enough case to support it that well (no flex is good on a heavy action) will dictate at least a certain weight, without any of the electronics taken into account. And lets face it, the 40 or so lbs. of the G1000 (and about the same for the G800) didn't stop it from being one of the most popular arrangers of it's day...

But, yes, shaving the weight back to the G1000 level would be welcome, but I would insist on NO compromise on the action or stiffness of frame, otherwise you are in the 'toy' quality that a lot of Yamaha products are. No offense, but I shudder at having to spend years on those things, despite the OS and SA voices. Just like a car, where the rubber meets the road is one of the most critical areas for high performance. Ask any real piano player... there's a huge difference between a good piano and a bad one, action-wise.

IMO, same thing applies to electronic keyboards...

#234955 - 05/30/08 04:36 PM Re: What is or was your favorite arranger of all time!
ianmcnll Offline

I love my toy!

Best money I ever spent, and worth every penny.

May you all be as lucky.

Ian the Smitten

#234956 - 05/30/08 06:32 PM Re: What is or was your favorite arranger of all time!
Dnj Offline

Ian but that doesn't answer my question on the G70....
I also enjoy the S900 to a point & make it work with workarounds & wish it had a few changes like a better VH & transpose Save MFD....but I was referring the G70 which is a killer arranger just a bit heavy...I really think Roland can trim down the weight without any loss to features/key bed etc & probably will add & change some more features on the next model for sure...there are a few lighter weight very durable plastics they can use for sure for the body.

#234957 - 05/30/08 07:25 PM Re: What is or was your favorite arranger of all time!
ianmcnll Offline

Let me put it this way, Donny...it all boils down to the sound...for the same reason there are those who love the sound of the G70, there are those of us who favor the Yamaha sound.

Don't get me wrong, the G70 is a nice arranger...but it doesn't have the sound that I want to hear...and conversely, Yamaha doesn't have the sound that Roland fans want to hear.

Just slightly different tastes, and all very subjective.

Ian

#234958 - 05/30/08 07:44 PM Re: What is or was your favorite arranger of all time!
Dnj Offline

Thank You for your thoughtful answer it is appreciated & solidifies the confusion.

#234959 - 05/30/08 07:47 PM Re: What is or was your favorite arranger of all time!
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Thank You for your thoughtful answer it is appreciated & solidifies the confusion.

Sorry to hear you're confused...I know I'm not...I know what I like, very definitely.

Ian

#234960 - 05/30/08 09:25 PM Re: What is or was your favorite arranger of all time!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think the main difference between Yamaha and Roland has a lot to do with what and how you are playing...

Yamaha, IMO, is exceptionally good at doing background music, music that isn't 'in your face', grab your attention stuff. Roland, OTOH, have a VERY 'live', 'look at me' kind of sound, and doesn't do polite, polished stuff as well.

How each of these work for you depends VERY much on the venues and types of music you play. I would certainly have a harder time playing background stuff with my G70, and (strictly my opinion) I would have a hard time getting the Yamaha to grab the audience's attention the way the G70 does. It isn't just a question of volume, it's just how much 'snap' and attack and dynamics the Roland's drums have. Great for forefront, not so good for background...

Different strokes....

Anyway, somehow we all manage to make them work for us, and that's what's important

#234961 - 05/30/08 11:44 PM Re: What is or was your favorite arranger of all time!
Bachus Offline

Its obvious to me that when you compare build quallity of T2 and G70 that Roland is aiming at live performers and Yamaha at home players...

You just can't compare those two things... Yamaha has a very clean naturall almost CD like sound. Roland has a phat[but still less naturall to my ears ] sound to cut its way on stage solo or in a band.

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online