SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#2340 - 11/06/06 05:07 AM Which Synth?????
Anonymous
Unregistered

I want to buy either a Korg EMX-1 or an Alesis Micron for some synth sounds. I'm a guitar player and I want to expand my sound section. Are there any remarkable differences between these two? Positive or negative comments? What can I do with one that I can't do with the other? Sound quality and which will suite me best. Keep in mind that trying them is not an option for me.
Thanks for the help!

#2341 - 11/06/06 05:37 AM Re: Which Synth?????
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Can't try them eh? Ouch.. That sucks.

Hate to say this but unless you can try or at least listen to demos there is no way to know if you are going to like a synth or not. Synths aren't really picked for just specs and features nor they are picked based on some other peoples reviews.

I think unless you can feel the keyboard action, turn a few knobs and make some noise there's no way to tell if the synth is right for you or not.

Just my opinion. Try before you buy.

Also, I hope you aren't going to plug your synth into a guitar amp. Guitar amps are for guitars. Synths need to be hooked up to something that was meant for synths. If you knew that then I'm sorry for assuming you didn't but if you didn't know it then you do now I guess....

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 11-06-2006).]

#2342 - 11/06/06 05:56 AM Re: Which Synth?????
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Here's reviews for Micron:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Keyboard+And+MIDI/product/Alesis/Micron/10/1

.. And here's for the Korg:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revie...tribe%20MX/10/1

Both are marketed as *Grooveboxes* and not synths. Although both seem to have enough fun stuff and are indeed synths. Can't tell you which one is better. But check the reviews.

To ride figure eight here. Try to "Try before you buy".

cheers,

ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 11-06-2006).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online