SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#234198 - 05/13/08 05:50 AM STYLES Boring you? Why not play on top of MIDI FILES?
Dnj Offline

There are some songs I like using SMF to get the perfect NON repetitive sound that most styles give you. To me as a singer its like playing with a real band where I'm the KB player. Lets you play with two hands also if needed. Of course there are pros & cons but mixing it up makes you very flexible & less repetitive. Your thoughts?
But If I went more SMF I would have to use a Roland KB they do it the best. Although I enjoy styles & sound play....My S900 is less then efficient in the SMF playback mode for many reasons, hand claps, excessive reverb, navigation, editing on the fly etc etc...in a live situation.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-13-2008).]

#234199 - 05/13/08 06:37 AM Re: STYLES Boring you? Why not play on top of MIDI FILES?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
There's no doubt that using SMFs gives a more realistic interpretation of the music - if that's what you're looking for. And Roland's COVER feature makes adjusting instruments in an SMF even easier and can make the midi file even more life-like. Having owned Y's, K's and R's I agree with
Donny that Roland is probably the easiest to work with SMFs.

As always, the major limitation to SMFs is the format and length. But most of the newer file players permit marking, jumping and looping of files so that playing extended or abbreviated versions is easier.

I also feel SMF are more for singers than instrumentalists. With the chords structured just like the record, it's sometimes harder to do instrumental solos because the comping chords are missing.

#234200 - 05/13/08 06:52 AM Re: STYLES Boring you? Why not play on top of MIDI FILES?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I never use SMF for arranger gigs, preferring the control of playing my own chords, and changing style variations when I want.

I do use SMF (my own) at home for practising my combo chops whilst using my P85 piano.

I'll sometimes use them on arranger clinics, to demo the fact they can be used in a performance.

I agree with Cassp in that they are more suited for singers than instrumental players.

Ian

#234201 - 05/13/08 07:14 AM Re: STYLES Boring you? Why not play on top of MIDI FILES?
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I mix in some of the better SMF files when singing, and playing over them. One reason I bought the Roland G70, was for it's excellent handling of midi.

Before that, I used to use my lap top with an Echo sound card, and Notation Composer(MidiNotate). I would arrange the file as a lead sheet with chords, mute the parts I played, and read right off the laptop.

Both ways have advantages and drawbacks. I think a mixture adds interest.

Bernie

#234202 - 05/13/08 07:23 AM Re: STYLES Boring you? Why not play on top of MIDI FILES?
Bachus Offline

I try to be as diverse as possible

Basicaly i still use styles, because they are very versatile in repeating chorusses and so

But when playing piano most of the time i only use background drums.

Sometimes i play along midi files or even audio tracks or Instrumental MP3 files

I even have some performances where i use a drum beat and use some arpegiator..

And i am planning on adding a lot of knobs and pads to my setup that would allow for a more Deejay like style....

I like to be as versatile as the music i like to play.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#234203 - 05/13/08 07:40 AM Re: STYLES Boring you? Why not play on top of MIDI FILES?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Lets you play with two hands

Which is enjoyable for me, being a piano player. However, playing over a SMF can sound very busy, depending on the SMF. In most cases, I'll strip much of what's there, often leaving only drums, bass, and perhaps chording guitar.

Two additional advantages, IMO, is having the freedom to keep my left hand on the pitch and mod wheels for sax and guitar solos. Also, spending less time looking for and punching buttons means better interacting with my audience.

Glenn

#234204 - 05/13/08 09:21 AM Re: STYLES Boring you? Why not play on top of MIDI FILES?
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
The nice feature on Qranger is also to use it for play standard midifiles/audiofile BUT with included up to 32 markers pointer: http://www.lionstracs.com/demo/qranger/Qrangermarkers.jpg

in this way you can LOOP some parts of the midifile/audio/mp3 like in one arranger system.

After we have loaded one media file on the session, we can just add the marker pointer where we like and save the session.
The Mediastation qranger engine will reload the same session like a normally styles, BUT under this way will be alble only to jump to the 32 markers, global transpose and global BPM change.
This is also a nice DJ GROOVE BOX features that a lot of DJ ask us, just for import some Mp3 files and loops the parts how they like.

With this features believe me that playing normally midistyles will be really so boring, the problem is that your keyboards there can not offer this features and then you have to use forever the styles only.
Pity..but maybe someday they will add this amazing features too.
enjoy what you play

#234205 - 05/13/08 11:50 AM Re: STYLES Boring you? Why not play on top of MIDI FILES?
Bachus Offline

Hehe

I am currently building a linux box (Pc) just to test out the linux giga sampler and Qtractor..

And to see if i can get some other musicall stuff working under linux (live-styler, fruity loops and some vst's)

Sure the mediastation is the most versatile music workstation, but it isn't finished yet... But when you can get the Q-ranger to play styles of equall quallity or better then simple hardware keyboards you have a true inspirator...

The mediastation tough misse one thing to become the most awesome deejay station, and that is knobs and pads....

[This message has been edited by Bachus (edited 05-13-2008).]

http://keyszone.boards.net

#234206 - 05/13/08 05:55 PM Re: STYLES Boring you? Why not play on top of MIDI FILES?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I have 20 or so midis I use and play on top of them. A few like the original recordings of Ray Charles, Steve Tyrell, Sinatra and a few others.

I hadn't done any in a while, but I have edited them in an old version of Cakewalk. For example: Turned the volume down on the lead part or deleted it. Turned the volumn up on some parts and down or others etc. I even copied and pasted a section or two somewhere along the line to make the tune longer.
I have them on my HD on the i30 and play them through it. Georgia, I Can't Get Started, That's all, The Way You Look Tonight really get the peoples attention where I play.

Donny gave me some of these. Donny send some more friend please.

#234207 - 05/13/08 06:46 PM Re: STYLES Boring you? Why not play on top of MIDI FILES?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Donny you are absolutely right about mixing it up. I do that with some SMF's. I also take others into the studio and record background vocals over them I've even been known to use a couple of MP3's now and then. For instance, tonight I did a Senior Citizen prom in an upscale retirement complex. There was a large crowd of all ages from high school up to the seniors. I put on the Cha Cha Slide, and Cotton Eyed Joe as well as performing the electric slide and other line dances I do and you couldn't move on the dance floor it was so crowded. You've got to use every tool at your command to make it happen.

Ciao,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online