SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#234166 - 05/11/08 03:13 PM DJ or Keyboard?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
There has been so much talk about OMB, Midi Files, playing live, and DJs.
Let’s take the view that all of the above is here to stay. Are we at war against the DJ? Are they going to win? Only if we do not change our image.

If we, no, let me change that if you are going to stay in the game, (I’m on my way out) You must use whatever it takes to win this competition.
Here’s my take – I would become one great DJ who plays one great keyboard who sings the hell out of a song. You can offer people the best of both worlds, but the image must change. If you play the right songs at the right time and you have talent you won’t lose. If the talent is not there it might be better not to enter into the competition.

Can you imagine advertising yourself as unique as a DJ - keyboard player?
I have seen some pretty sad keyboard player out there, and yes they did look like home players. You have to change that rep. I know there is the question of equipment??? I do not feel that this subject applies to musicians who play nursing and assisted living engagements.

Any other thoughts?

John C.

#234167 - 05/11/08 03:41 PM Re: DJ or Keyboard?
zuki Offline

Bruno,

I thought about this too. In fact, I'm playing a 5/22 gig where they originally wanted a DJ for a car show. They also wanted my live music, so they decided to have me do both. Should be interesting. I did a trial run at home. The PA800 is a snap with the built-in mp3 and it will go flawlessly, using the Songbook feature. I have 100's of songs ready to play....can even use "play all" and join the crowd -oops, no leaving the keyboard

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#234168 - 05/11/08 05:42 PM Re: DJ or Keyboard?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:
I would become one great DJ who plays one great keyboard who sings the hell out of a song. You can offer people the best of both worlds, Can you imagine advertising yourself as unique as a DJ - keyboard player?

Whats there to Imagine?.....John thanx for describing my act for the last 17 years as a Power Single, no mystery there, It's a necessity for existence. Do what you must to support yourself & your family.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-12-2008).]

#234169 - 05/12/08 07:58 AM Re: DJ or Keyboard?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'm lucky. When someone needs DJ service, I turn that over to my son. I own the company-equipment, etc. I stick to country clubs, jazz clubs, high-end restaurants and political/social events. I work as much as I want to and get a cut of the DJ work.

Would never consider doing DJ work myself, but that's because I have specialized in a certain kind of live work which is not compatible with DJ stuff.

I'm "old school" and don't want to change...EVER! If what I do is not successful, I'll quit.

Russ

#234170 - 05/12/08 12:00 PM Re: DJ or Keyboard?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'll try out DJ-ing as soon as I CANNOT get a job as a player...! (so probably never! )

One thing I'm kind of confused about... The term 'DJ' has changed a lot in the last twenty years or so. Most contemporary users of the 'DJ'ing word seem to expect some sort of turntable skills, or laptop software skills, combining beats, scratching, sound manipulation as well as the more traditional making beat-perfect transitions between different dance tracks.

How many of us are under the impression that being a 'DJ' simply means playing a few CD tracks (or MP3's for the audio challenged) in between singing a song or two, and maybe even playing, as well?

That's not 'DJ-ing' in the contemporary sense of the word... We simply call it 'putting on a CD while we take a break', where I come from!

Holy Heck! I've been a DJ all this time... and didn't know it!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online