SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#234116 - 05/10/08 11:29 AM What type of Musical SOUNDTRACK would you use with this?
Dnj Offline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM

Watching it all the way through....
I'm trying to decide on....
Orchestra & Bright Exciting!
or Serene Sad with a MINOR foundation!
Doing my first background project.

#234117 - 05/10/08 11:57 AM Re: What type of Musical SOUNDTRACK would you use with this?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The thing about film music is that the emotion changes all the way through.

Suspenseful at the start, menacing after that, pounding pulse after that... and so on. One emotion doesn't reflect each section. Orchestral music offers a wide range of colors and well learned emotional responses to it, but it takes a deft touch to do right. Electronics can also do the job well (look at Carpenter's work, or Vangelis) and may be easier to pull off. Tying it all together is the REAL art.

Me... I'd look at African percussion to make this work - a lot easier to change up and down the intensity, and electronic (or orchestral) ostinati to add the tonal element.

We'd love to hear it when you are done...

#234118 - 05/10/08 12:08 PM Re: What type of Musical SOUNDTRACK would you use with this?
Dnj Offline

Diki....Its a pet project I'm trying out.
It always intrigued me as to the process of Sound Tracking Film, just watch TV with your eyes closed and you'll notice there is MUSIC behind everything be it Movies, Commercials, news, etc, etc, ...someone has to be producing it & I'm sure many talented people make it all happen. Musical Instrumentation combined with Computers is a very interesting procedure with some astounding outcomes. Its almost like conducting an orchestra. As far as ever posting it here I doubt it....wouldn't want to break the egging aura which surrounds us. Doing it privatly makes more sense.
Thank you for you reply I will surly look into some of the things you mention.
http://www.zoom-in.com/tutorials/soundtrack_1_5_creating_audio_for_video_part_1_of_2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/create/default.mspx

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-10-2008).]

#234119 - 05/10/08 03:02 PM Re: What type of Musical SOUNDTRACK would you use with this?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Best of luck...

Doesn't Russ do video work? He might be a good person to pick his brains...

Fun-nest video work I ever did was for a company that had made a video of the aftermath of Hurricane Opal (which badly damaged my area), real low budget, so I brought in my old Ensoniq SQ2 (high tech for it's day!) and a couple of modules, and called up some REALLY complex patches, lots of splits and layers, vel-triggered percussion, that sort of thing, then basically improvised the entire thing in about three or four sections.

No re-takes, no editing, no MIDI, just straight to tape! Talk about pressure! It came out very well, sold gobs of copies, everyone went away happy (except me, who to this day never got a copy! But I got PAID! Boo-yah!).

Mind you, that's basically the entire music for film and video ethos. It's always the last thing to go on (unless it's a cartoon or musical), the film is basically finished and cut when you get it, so EVERYONE is screaming down your neck to get it done ASAP so they can release it. A VERY high stress/pressure gig. The top composers EARN every penny they make!

Have fun taking your time, but don't think for one minute that will ever happen in real life!

#234120 - 05/13/08 01:25 PM Re: What type of Musical SOUNDTRACK would you use with this?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Donny, my company is on track to complete 10 industrial video projects this year. We do everything...scripting, shooting, editing, and the score. These are either communications vehicles aimed at the financial community or internal training projects. I basically hire myself to do the scores, and believe I have a leg up, since I intimately know the "hard" content of the production. Nothing is produced for public broadcast.

Video production is about 10% of our work (the bulk is associated packaging, brochures, web content, trade show displays, training projects, etc.). Sound score creation is about 10% of the video production.

I don't take on "stand alone" recording projects of any kind. It's pretty hard for an independent score producer to make it, but the good ones do very well.

I budget about $1000.00 a finished minute for the score, and, depending on the complexity of the production (travel, amount of cameras, edits, amount of animation, etc.), the final project bills out at up to $10,000 per finished minute.

My focus is not just the score, in fact, it's not just the finished film. It's the entire communications effort, which includes all projects needed (communications budgets, MARCOM plans and more).

The ability to be able to supply the score is a big plus for us. In fact, we turn down tons of score work (more than we actually take on) because of our rule not to do "one-shots".

Ours is a very narrow, extremely lucrative part of the market.

It would bore the hell out of most folks as stand alone music, but I'lm really glad to be able to concentrate on a combination of my main passions...communications processes, design, copy creation, film production and music.

The combination has been very good for me.
You should give score production a try. I approach it a completely different way than most, but there is a market for real talent, who understand that the score is the "glue" that holds a film together, and the "frosting" needed to really tell the story.

Good luck!

R.

#234121 - 05/13/08 03:32 PM Re: What type of Musical SOUNDTRACK would you use with this?
Dnj Offline

Thank you Russ for the information.....sounds like you have a good handle on the business for sure. For now I'm just getting my feet wet & we'll see where it goes from there.

stay well

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online