SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#233256 - 04/28/08 08:36 AM Re: How do you define success...?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Success in the music field, at least in the way I would define it, didn't happen because I couldn't make the commitment. I may not have had the talent, either.

I was hooked on hard-line jazz at an early age...way before I was good enough to even try playing it.

I met a lot of the jazz greats in LA in the early 60's and they had a hard way to go.

I liked communications, film-making, publishing and other things, too, and took the safe route.

"Suffering for my art" is a concept I understood but wasn't able to do.

Luckily, I was able to play for the cash when I needed it raising a family to support my corporate income and incorporate music into a lot of the projects I do in my company.

I sold out. In that respect, I wasn't successful.

I made the choice, and in my "heart of hearts" I regret it a little every day.

Russ

#233257 - 04/28/08 09:47 AM Re: How do you define success...?
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
NOT achieving all your goals and STILL being happy and content is success.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#233258 - 04/28/08 12:46 PM Re: How do you define success...?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Lot of 'successful' potheads out there if THAT'S true...!

#233259 - 04/28/08 02:35 PM Re: How do you define success...?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by John DiLeo:
I really enjoyed your website & songs.
You are truly a Pro player & Vocalist.
How long have you been playing?

John, thanks humbly for such kind words.
Been playing piano & keyboards since I was 4 and first incorporated arranger keyboards into my act about ten years ago.

Quote:
Originally posted by John DiLeo:

Are you looking forward to a new Tyros 3 also?

John, I assume from your post that you are ALREADY PLANNING to purchase a Tyros3, right? I myself am of course excited about what Tyros3 will bring, especially because I was hired by Yamaha Corp, thru an independent consulting firm, to discuss with them, in their early stages of Tyros3 development, my personal desires, needs, and wants in the Tyros2 follow up keyboard. That said, for now
I remain quite content with my current setup (Tyros2) because it still continues to satisfy my gig requirements & playing style. That said, I plan to wait till Tyros3's specs are officially released by Yamaha Japan before making any kind of upgrade decision.

btw: John, noticed your profile isn't filled out. If you don't mind sharing: curious what arr keyboard(s) you're currently playing and what Country/Region you reside. Welcome to the Synthzone John.

Scott

------------------
Scott Yee Entertainment

#233260 - 04/28/08 02:36 PM Re: How do you define success...?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I guess I must be successful. I've made hundreds of dollars playing music and entertaining people, I'm always happy, every day is a good day (some are better than others), I've never been content (but that's something different), I could retire (but I don't want to because I'm having too much fun), and after nearly a half-century I'm still married to the same woman. (Guess I must have done something right! ) If this is a measure of success, I suspect I've been somewhat successful. Oh, and the kids turned out OK too.

Cheers,

Gary

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#233261 - 04/28/08 02:49 PM Re: How do you define success...?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I've made hundreds of dollars playing music and entertaining people,

Yep...me too.

I figure, if the money continues at this rate, I should be able to retire comfortably at age 153.

Ian

#233262 - 04/28/08 03:07 PM Re: How do you define success...?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Most of you know by now that I'm always going on about the exchange of "musical ideas." But I found this thread very extremely refreshing as most of you were candid with your thoughts, dreams, ambitions, blessings, failings, areas of content and discontent, etc.

I've been playing a lot of years and I can truthfully say I've never met another musician who sounded "human" enough that I could share what's inside of me. I never got to express my own emotions and dreams and regrets and all the other stuff you hold inside of you to another musician. After all, they’re the only ones that truly understand our business and the effects it has on us.

After reading these revelations from many of you, it's nice to know that it's possible to do the unthinkable: express internal dialogue and be viewed as a human being as compared to the stage entertainer that we are. I can visualize how cathartic it would be to do so.

Perhaps someone would like to start another thread that explores what all of us experience on the inside as musicians dealing with what goes with the turf: emotions! I already said we’re a unique breed.

Lucky

#233263 - 04/29/08 02:22 PM Re: How do you define success...?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

....left to join the circus!

#233264 - 04/29/08 03:28 PM Re: How do you define success...?
Dnj Offline

After all is said & done all we're trying to do with an arranger keyboard no matter how you look at it is sound like more then one person playing.....& add to that playing many songs that were primarily created & produced with computers & electronics versus real live players also.......so its all a facade & smoke screen under the auspices of live music we try to create in our minds & make people believe it too when they only see ONE person playing some kind of keyboard in their eyes. As computers progress the harder & trickier it gets to do the above

btw the ground hog can kiss my A$$

#233265 - 04/29/08 03:56 PM Re: How do you define success...?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The moment someone steps away from the keyboard whilst it is still playing...it's Millie Vanilli time!

No amount of smoke and mirrors will ever cover that kind of move.

No more "player" credibility beyond that point, in my opinion.

Sure, there are some here who can pull it off, but they are the exception.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 04-29-2008).]

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online