SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#233236 - 04/26/08 06:22 AM Re: How do you define success...?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Should be interesting...
Russ

And it certainly is.......

time for the lock?

#233237 - 04/26/08 07:00 AM Re: How do you define success...?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
That's because he wasn't a member of SynthZone.

#233238 - 04/26/08 09:03 AM Re: How do you define success...?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

I just slapped myself in the face for thinking, at one time, this group consisted of one big happy, family. Funny how the penny drops one day. Still I get a lot out of reading these posts, but I’m starting to understand that musicians are a unique breed no matter where you find them.

BTW: I thought most of these responses were good (and sincere), but my vote, if it's alright with Simon Cowell, goes to Dan01 for the following:

“When I play at Church, success to me is the emotion felt by my congregation, by the music I provide.”

“When I play out, success is knowing I did my best to provide the best possible show I could.”

“When I create music, success is knowing I put my best creative thoughts, with the tools I have to create the final long and recording.”

It would be nice if we could remember we were given our talent from our Higher Power for a reason. That reason was NOT to bicker over who’s a pro, who’s NOT a pro, is 76 keys better than 61 keys but only 7/8 of 88 keys, who wants or doesn’t want to post their music, who has a legit musical track record, who’s a newbie on the Zone and not entitled to express an opinion, etc.

That reason was going out and making those who were NOT given the talent happy with what we WERE given. Sometimes I need to step back and look at how blessed I was to go through life with the ability to make music. I think many of us, INCLUDING myself, and particularly those who have played all their lives tend to sometimes fall into the “take it for granted” trap.

What do you think?

Lucky

#233239 - 04/26/08 09:22 AM Re: How do you define success...?
zuki Offline

You're spot on Lucky (and DanO). I am truly blessed to be in the position of not just bringing joy to the elderly, but also for the bliss of playing an instrument. Many people tell me they would give anything to play.

One resident caught me off guard. I was telling her the joy I have playing and that I was taught by my dad. She said "then you must know how much joy your dad had in his life". Reflecting back, it brought tears to my eyes.

So, go on, do your thing and be happy with yourself - I sure am, regardless of my level of competence or what I'm playing.

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 04-26-2008).]

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#233240 - 04/26/08 09:40 AM Re: How do you define success...?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
I just slapped myself in the face for thinking, at one time, this group consisted of one big happy, family.

Your half right, Lucky...it is a family...but, like most families, it's dysfunctional.

And, you're right...it is easy to forget how lucky we are...but isn't that basic human nature?

We all need to be reminded. At times our own light goes out and it's nice to have it re-lit by a spark from another person.

All most of us on this forum want is to be appreciated for what we do...pretty simple, eh?

Ian

#233241 - 04/26/08 09:48 AM Re: How do you define success...?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
I just slapped myself in the face for thinking, at one time, this group consisted of one big happy, family. Funny how the penny drops one day. Still I get a lot out of reading these posts, but I’m starting to understand that musicians are a unique breed o matter where you find them.

BTW: I thought most of these responses were good (and sincere), but my vote, if it's alright with Simon Cowell, goes to Dan01 for the following:

“When I play at Church, success to me is the emotion felt by my congregation, by the music I provide.”

“When I play out, success is knowing I did my best to provide the best possible show I could.”

“When I create music, success is knowing I put my best creative thoughts, with the tools I have to create the final long and recording.”

It would be nice if we could remember we were given our talent from our Higher Power for a reason. That reason was NOT to bicker over who’s a pro, who’s NOT a pro, is 76 keys better than 61 keys but only 7/8 of 88 keys, who wants or doesn’t want to post their music, who has a legit musical track record, who’s a newbie on the Zone and not entitled to express an opinion, etc.

That reason was going out and making those who were NOT given the talent happy with what we WERE given. Sometimes I need to step back and look at how blessed I was to go through life with the ability to make music. I think many of us, INCLUDING myself, and particularly those who have played all their lives tend to sometimes fall into the “take it for granted” trap.
What do you think?
Lucky

OF COURSE, we are one, big, happy, family ... and what family doesn't have some nonsensical bickering from time to time ?!? ...

t.

#233242 - 04/26/08 01:35 PM Re: How do you define success...?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
For those I've TRULY offended, I am sorry.

Yes, a few 'got it' and many didn't. That's my fault for having an underdeveloped skill with smileys (where DOES Ian get all those cool ones?)

I don't want to rehash old news, nor open new wounds, so I'll be brief.

To take the topic more seriously (from the initial post, I was under the impression this might be a lighthearted thread, my mistake!), let me say I already consider myself, and anyone who loves music, and music making successful. Many's the member here who now plays full time, and few look at previous occupations with as much love. THAT's success.

Success for me will be keeling over and passing on in the middle of a great tune! It might not be much fun for the audience, but 'apres moi, le deluge'!

But, if I linger a while, on my deathbed, my fondest memories will probably be of the great musicians I have had the privilege of playing with, and NOT what my favorite arranger was...

Heck, from some of these posts, it probably can't come soon enough for some

#233243 - 04/26/08 02:31 PM Re: How do you define success...?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
I just slapped myself in the face for thinking, at one time, this group consisted of one big happy, family. Funny how the penny drops one day. Still I get a lot out of reading these posts, but I’m starting to understand that musicians are a unique breed no matter where you find them.

What do you think?

Lucky

Thank You Lucky ...

The most successful people I know or who I have met, are humble and have class.

#233244 - 04/26/08 05:53 PM Re: How do you define success...?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Through my years I came to the word, “Contentment”.
Can you be happy without contentment?
Can you be contented and not be happy?

Happiness and Contentment seemed to be very closely related, and since contentment comes from within – I would say that contentment may very well be the source to the question, “Do I feel successful”, the origin being within yourself.

John C.

#233245 - 04/26/08 07:07 PM Re: How do you define success...?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
(where DOES Ian get all those cool ones?)

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online