Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#233103 - 04/27/08 09:09 PM Re: legato play
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
Ian,

I do a LOT of pitch bend. Are you saying one can do a useful range of bending with a foot volume pedal? There's a dedicated input for this on the 900?

I've been thinking about that new Ketron Audya but the position of those wheels is making me nervous. Then again, I'm wondering if Ketron also devised an external control for the "bends?"

I think if you're trying to sound like a whole band, you really need to work on each instrument sound and get a general idea of what distinguishes each one. And how to match the left and right keyboard sounds. One of my favorite combo's is French Horn on the right against deep strings on the left.

At one time I had a sound module MIDI'd to the left side of the split point with a swell pedal controlling it. This way I could control the volume separately and bring in the external strings at will. On the module I was using, I layered two string patches and detuned them against each other so it would sound fuller. The signal then went out in stereo from external left and rights. Incredible effect!

In the end, and probably after the Audya hits the market, I'll probably go with a 900 myself if I don't buy a Ketron.

Lucky

#233104 - 04/28/08 02:58 AM Re: legato play
Bachus Offline

So does anyone know any/more vst's that can be played like the Tyros SA voices?

I am looking for Sax, brass, violins, guitars and more...

[This message has been edited by Bachus (edited 04-28-2008).]

http://keyszone.boards.net

#233105 - 04/28/08 04:00 AM Re: legato play
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
Ian,

I do a LOT of pitch bend. Are you saying one can do a useful range of bending with a foot volume pedal? There's a dedicated input for this on the 900?

I've been thinking about that new Ketron Audya but the position of those wheels is making me nervous. Then again, I'm wondering if Ketron also devised an external control for the "bends?"

I think if you're trying to sound like a whole band, you really need to work on each instrument sound and get a general idea of what distinguishes each one. And how to match the left and right keyboard sounds. One of my favorite combo's is French Horn on the right against deep strings on the left.

At one time I had a sound module MIDI'd to the left side of the split point with a swell pedal controlling it. This way I could control the volume separately and bring in the external strings at will.

Hi Lucky,

I got used to pitch bending with a pedal a long time ago on one of my old Electone organs...and, yes you can do some decent pitch bending using an FC-7 on the PSR-S900....and also on the Tyros (1&2).

The S900 has two pedal inputs(the Tyros has three)and these can be assigned pitch bend.

You can also assign the volume of the sound in the left hand to respond to the volume pedal...handy for bringing in that strings voice.

I use the velocity sensitivity to bring in (and decrease) the left sound by repeatedly replaying the notes in the chord at increasing (or decreasing)levels of strength...it's a skill you need to practice...but it works well for me....also you can get different notes to stand out from the rest by this method.

Position of the wheels is terrific on the Tyros2/S900...reminds me of my old DX-7...and of course, the PB Wheel can be assigned to any or all voices...including LH.

Although many consider Ketron a maker of fine instruments, I have yet to play one....the dealers in my area don't carry the line....so I can't comment on them.

The S900 is a fine piece of work...I had the T2 for several months on my sample account, but the S900 got my vote...it's a lot of arranger for the money.

Good luck with your search.

Ian

#233106 - 04/28/08 12:30 PM Re: legato play
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just curious, but what would you ever leave permanently UP on the modulation wheel?

If you are thinking filter cutoff or something like that, you see, Roland use the SLIDERS for voice programming, no need for the mod wheel.

The lever basically just does vibrato (and a trumpet 'growl' on the E80), and other than Farfisa type organs, what sound needs constant vibrato? (and if it does, you can program the voice to have it permanently, or with a delay)

Yes, I spent years on Minimoog's, etc., and still have my DX7, and a few other things that have the two wheel system, and it's a great system, but I have had no problem over the years with the Roland system, either. Aftertouch and the sliders have always allowed me to achieve the same end result...

What I REALLY want is a pitch strip like Korg and Kurzweil... Hammer on/offs, trills, scoops, doits,, playing lines without re-triggering the voice (a BIT like SA), all of these are a snap on the pitch strip....

#233107 - 04/28/08 12:54 PM Re: legato play
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Just curious, but what would you ever leave permanently UP on the modulation wheel?

Vibrato...nice to have it variable as well as on/off...Leslie speed(variable) and yes, filter cutoff...real cool with the wheel...better than sliders IMO...your hand is already at that end of the instrument.

I like the strip too...it was on the Yamaha CS-80 and my old Polymoog...still, I do prefer the wheels...just seem more natural than the bender....awkward pushing ahead and sideways at the same time....yeah...wheels are better.

Ian

#233108 - 04/28/08 01:05 PM Re: legato play
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Roland's lever IS variable, you just have to be a bit subtle with your pressure. It's definitely NOT all on or off, like some seem to think.

Leslie on/off? Got an FC-7 assignment for that, why would I want to take my hands off the keyboard?

And voice programming..? Well in a WS or synth, yes, you've got time to hang out down at the left end, but arranger play doesn't give you that option, often (as I keep trying to say!). Having a slider in the middle allows the RH as well as the LH to adjust this kind of thing, and the RH may have the time more often than the left. It's not perfect, but it allows you to vary a variety of parameters rather than the ONE mapped to modulation wheel (it's called that for a reason!)

For synth playing, and non-arranger use, yes, I really like the two wheel system, but in arranger mode, it's a bit restrictive, IMO...

#233109 - 04/28/08 01:08 PM Re: legato play
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

I really like the two wheel system, but in arranger mode, it's a bit restrictive, IMO...

Yep, you're correct...that's why I use the FC-7 pedal...at least until someone makes a chord sequencer.

Ian

#233110 - 04/28/08 01:27 PM Re: legato play
John DiLeo Offline

I have seen many KB players Arranger & Synth who hardly ever use the joystick while they play & still sounded very, very good. So my question is.....is using the stick or wheel not that necessary if your a really good player? I have also listened to many who really make a mess out of playing while they use it due to abusing it, over doing it, bad timing jumping between LH chord changes etc. Who really notices all the bending anyway the audience knows its not a real sax or guitar or whatever anyway no matter how much joystick you try to use.
I rarely use it in my songs, although its very intriguing I wonder if its worth learning?

#233111 - 04/28/08 01:43 PM Re: legato play
ianmcnll Offline

The wheel is like any other performance enhancer...it can be over-used.

Judicious use of pitch bend can really bring life to a sax line, or a guitar solo...but it will depend on the skill of the user.

Pitch bending is an art in itself...guys like Jan Hammer and Jordan Rudess are masters.

Ian

#233112 - 04/28/08 02:20 PM Re: legato play
John DiLeo Offline

But Ian lets face it .....Masters are just that and far & few. The average gigging Joe is what I am talking about. It's hard enough to just play & control an arranger & all it's features & functions all at the same time. All this while jumping off to a joystick also. The pedal you mentioned could be a viable option for sure leaving your hand available to play & manipulate buttons, flip pages or whatever. Also, If I may, doesn't sometimes using a joystick etc conflict with the natural makeup of Yamahas SA voices?
BTW my S900 arrived & I'm in arranger heaven WOW!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online