SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#232967 - 04/23/08 12:24 PM which arranger for solo work?
yogurt Offline

Loc: Greece
Hey guys,
I want to get a new arranger. I am not a pro and not have much time and mood for plugging and connecting to the pc all the time. So I want something that can "produce songs" in a tolerable quality. I play rock, pop and latin. I also like natural classical sounds.
I liked the samples and the features of yamaha psr s900. ANyone experienced in recording? Is the result good? Does the mic voice mixes well with the rest?
Also thinking of korg pa-500 that is also much cheaper in Greece where I live. ANy other proposals?
I make funny songs and remakes. I also try to persuade a very tough girl and hope that this will help me creating something that will touch her!!

#232968 - 04/23/08 12:59 PM Re: which arranger for solo work?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi Yogurt,

Using just an S900 and a laptop(or a PC), you can make very nice CDs.

The S900's Audio to USB is a doddle to use, and the resulting recording is in WAV format.

The vocal mixes very well with the rest.

I make my own CDs using an S900 and I'm more than pleased with the results.

The S900 also has the benefits of awesome third party support, so there are plenty of styles available.

If you like "natural" sounds, the S900 serves up a nice helping of SA, Mega, "Live" and "Cool" voices...nothing in it's price range can touch it for sheer sound quality.

I'm a Yamaha aficionado, and my view is a tad skewed...but my information is accurate...and it is the "best bang for the buck" available.

Ian

#232969 - 04/23/08 01:35 PM Re: which arranger for solo work?
Dnj Offline

I agree with Ian...Yamaha S900 should do the trick for you for sure.

#232970 - 04/23/08 01:45 PM Re: which arranger for solo work?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Mind you, if you are from Greece, Korg's have a LOT more features specific to ethnic musics. Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, Far East... Korg's tend to be the choice if these kinds of musics are going to be played, even if it's not your PRIMARY form...

#232971 - 04/23/08 02:16 PM Re: which arranger for solo work?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'm not sure, but I don't think the Korg PA-500 has Audio to USB...but Diki is right...they do seem to cater more to ethnic music...if that's your thing.

Ian

#232972 - 04/23/08 02:44 PM Re: which arranger for solo work?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Read his lips "I play rock, pop and latin. I also like natural classical sounds." Doesn't sound like he needs a keyboard that plays Ethnic sounds. The S-900 will do everything you want and then some.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#232973 - 04/23/08 11:15 PM Re: which arranger for solo work?
Diki Offline

Read HIS lips... "in Greece where I live"

You might play primarily oldies, but if ONE arranger plays country and western better than all the others, even if it isn't your PRIMARY music, you might chose it for how much better it does that, while other things remain equal... (let's pretend that every other arranger SUCKS at C&W, for this example)

What an ethnocentric view... 'classic' to YOU may be entirely different to someone from another continent...

#232974 - 04/24/08 04:55 AM Re: which arranger for solo work?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Diki,

The last time I was in the Mediterranian area, and in Greece, they were playing American music at most of the bars, clubs, etc.. The same was true in Spain, France and Italy. Granted, that was a long time ago, and I imagine things have changed a bit, but I would suspect the swing has gone even farther toward American and UK music. I would love to see a post from a member residing in the area pertaining to this.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#232975 - 04/24/08 09:59 AM Re: which arranger for solo work?
yogurt Offline

Loc: Greece
Thank you all very much guys for your advice and for the will to help.
I tend more to psr s900 allthow is 50% more expensive here than korg pa500. 1600 euro (offer price) vs 1050 euro consedering that in USA the price difference is very small. But yamaha seems to be what I want.
ABout your argue you all have a point. Korgs are the most used here indeed. And Greek music is played maybe more than western in no tourist areas. But Actually my style is not ethnic. I am not very intrested in ethnic styles and sounds. Of course I might play for fun sometimes and I would prefer having nice ethnic sounds than having nice country sounds but it's not a priority. Priority for me is the western sounds and styles and how easy i can produce and record. Also the Korg ethnic sounds, sound at allmost any Greek club/restaurant/etc with live music and I am bored of hearing them!
If the recording result of the psr is satisfying as Ian said, that makes things easy for me. Could I hear or download somewhere any sample or demo of your work?
Thank you very much again and any opinion and advice is acceptable.
Dimitris

#232976 - 04/25/08 12:03 AM Re: which arranger for solo work?
Diki Offline

Gary, sorry...

When I visit a foreign country, I make it a point to NOT go to bars and clubs that play the same music I hear every day back home, and try to avoid the tourist areas like the plague! This might have given me a different view on what most foreign musicians play..

But at least here you don't see me recommending what I use personally, over all things. I DO try to consider SOME of what another musician might need, and here I was mistaken. It is rare to find a musician from a country with a strong ethnic music flavor that wants to perform NONE of it at all!

My mistake...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online