SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#232265 - 04/14/08 10:57 PM Midi Palm software?
shim Offline

Loc: USA
I have a Palm Tungsten e2 and I thought I might use it to perhaps edit or at least play some MIDI files...

Anybody know how and if that can be done? Thanks. Meanwhile I'm looking into PalmGear...

Shim

#232266 - 04/15/08 12:16 AM Re: Midi Palm software?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Meanwhile, you are posting here most likely on a computer that is MORE than capable of editing some MIDI files...

Why do you particularly want to do it on a piece of kit that is NOT designed to do it, rather than use what you already have? Editing MIDI files even on the built-in sequencers of most arrangers is FAR easier than any Palm software, and a computer, with it's comparatively HUGE display, it's a walk in the park...

#232267 - 04/15/08 12:29 AM Re: Midi Palm software?
shim Offline

Thank you. I just wasn't sure weather the PC I'm using is good enough for editing... (512 ram)

If it can, what would be a good free program to start with? Can you gimme a link?

Thanks.
Shim

#232268 - 04/15/08 01:21 AM Re: Midi Palm software?
Diki Offline

You can edit MIDI on the weakest of computers. It takes no RAM (or very little, yours is more than enough) and no fast processor. An Atari from the eighties is just as good as today's fastest computer for just MIDI (in fact, my old Mega 1040ST had better MIDI timing than any current system)...

I'm a Mac user, so no recommendations, here. But I'm sure some of the SZ community on the Dark Side of the Force can make a recommendation or two...

#232269 - 04/15/08 02:42 AM Re: Midi Palm software?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I have a Dell Axim and have looked at the possibilities for Midi (about 3 years ago) with little success.

There is some limited midi-file edit and playback software out there.

However if you want to connect directly to a sound module or keyboard life is more difficult as there have been very few midi interfaces made and I'm not sure whether any are still available. I didn't find anything that would use the proprietary serial interfaces used by Korg / Yahama / others, nor anything that hooks up via USB, because these need special drivers that are usually only available for PCs.

I searched for "midi" here and some hits came up that may assist:
http://www.palmblvd.com/index.html

#232270 - 04/15/08 11:22 AM Re: Midi Palm software?
Diki Offline

Excuse me, but serial interfaces for Korg/Yamaha etc.?

How 20th century... No-one's used serial for quite a while now (maybe with the exception of Ketron).

I don't think this is the info Shim is looking for, Mac.

He just wants a reasonable MIDI sequencer/editor that will run on an older PC. Maybe a used copy of Cubase VST5 if cheap enough would be what I would recommend... I've used it since the Atari days, and it, IMO, is the best thing for MIDI, ever!

#232271 - 04/15/08 03:25 PM Re: Midi Palm software?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
powertracks pro is cheap and probably more than you'll need for a long time. Just do a search on google for powertracks pro or do a search for free midi editor. I've seen some free ones but they were old and not very good.

#232272 - 04/15/08 11:24 PM Re: Midi Palm software?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Most of the sequencers I know about I have listed at http://www.synthzone.com/midiseq.htm

Here are some free Windows MIDI sequencers you can try.
http://www.anvilstudio.com/
http://www.frieve.com/english/musicstd/download.html
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jazzplusplus/

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 04-15-2008).]

#232273 - 04/15/08 11:35 PM Re: Midi Palm software?
shim Offline

Thank you Nigel, and everyone.

I'm trying Music Studio Producer. but it seems I will need a more Professional program...

Here comes next question: Where and for how much can I find Cubase, Sonar, etc. for around $100? I.e, the SE or LE etc. etc. type of program?

There's the lexicon alpha that comes with Cubase, but as I now want to work with MIDI, I don't think I'll need the interface. In any case, do they sell such software for $99 or less? (I mean quality brand name soft. not like "Band in a box"...;-))

Thank you "...to everyone together; and each one in particular!"

Shim

#232274 - 04/16/08 12:33 AM Re: Midi Palm software?
shim Offline

I played around with the free program can't get a hang of it... I'm trying to import a MIDI file, (from a flash drive) and edit it.
Anybody know how to do it on this (or any program for that matter)?

And, is there some basic guide on the internet of how to record midi in a sequencer?

Shim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online