SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#231768 - 04/09/08 07:52 PM Banner for your band - what do you do?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
What do performers on SZ use to advertise themselves at gigs? I think it's very important to have a professional looking banner/s, and I'm wondering how others do it.

I've seen some bands who use foldable music stands with their logo. I've seen others who use a pull down banner on a stand which works kind of like a roll up curtain which they put behind them. Others simply put a banner in front of the keyboard.

What do you do? Do you have any pics?

#231769 - 04/09/08 07:56 PM Re: Banner for your band - what do you do?
John DiLeo Offline

#231770 - 04/09/08 09:14 PM Re: Banner for your band - what do you do?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
I've been thinking about this some, for a long time.

Currently we have a sign done by a traditional Sign writer (one of our regulars) that we tape to the front of the Korg.

Doesn't look quite as bad as it sounds, but I'd MUCH rather have a "Times Square" kinda dealie (like the one in the link), or even more impressive and unique, a "light sign" as in - the logo projected above us on the wall behind.

Only problem I have is - it needs to be VERY portable and robust.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#231771 - 04/09/08 09:36 PM Re: Banner for your band - what do you do?
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi:

I have been using the Beta Bright programmable sign for over a year. This works Very well for ME, I change the messages according with the Holidays, season, etc.
Is very easy to program it with the software that cames with, the ONLY suggestion I have, is that because does not "Save" the messages, you must enter every time your message, a save option would be so nice and time saver.
I purchased in Sam's Club for $199.00 and it certainly, has paid for itself several times over.
I put Velcro in my 2 Keyboard stands, the V-stand and the Quik Lok M92, and of course in the back of the sign, this arrangement is working Great since I got it.

------------------
mdorantes

#231772 - 04/09/08 10:15 PM Re: Banner for your band - what do you do?
chony Offline

Neon lights etc are interesting ideas for pubs and clubs, but I think it will be a bit corny for a wedding which is my cliental... Does anyone here use light signs for upscale events?

#231773 - 04/10/08 04:23 AM Re: Banner for your band - what do you do?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I work for caterers, planners and other clients that will NOT allow any visual advertising by me at all. They run the event, they get the Kudos. I once had a pair of speakers with my name painted on it ... a client insisted that I face them away from the audience. Tough lesson for a young buck....I never tried that again. I pass out cards, and do my shmoozing on breaks, but the "gig" belongs to the host.

#231774 - 04/10/08 05:09 AM Re: Banner for your band - what do you do?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I use a banner identical to Scott's I had it made locally where I live.($75) If you visit my home page you see the banner it replaced(lower right corner of my home page) http://steveonpiano.com

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 04-10-2008).]

#231775 - 04/10/08 05:43 AM Re: Banner for your band - what do you do?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
That's a cool looking banner, Steve...not too showy, but just the right amount of tastefulness.

How does it attach to the X-stand?

BTW, you have a great site....also tastefully done.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 04-10-2008).]

#231776 - 04/10/08 06:05 AM Re: Banner for your band - what do you do?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I post two high gloss signs 6 1/2 x 11 inches wide with the band name and web site address and a slot for business cards and I mount each sign with Velcro onto the Speaker Stands.

They are elegant, unobtrusive, easy to see, and setup/take down.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#231777 - 04/10/08 06:37 AM Re: Banner for your band - what do you do?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA

The sign is lighted with a strip light positioned beneath the laptop platform. It's all one unit that holds lots of unsigtly power supplies, wiring, etc... I created and printed the sign on the PC using Print Shop, and the sign is covered with a sheet of lexan.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#231778 - 04/10/08 06:39 AM Re: Banner for your band - what do you do?
John DiLeo Offline

Gary .....
Very classy look. Sign colors really stand out. No wonder why your the top entertainer in your area. Great Picture!

#231779 - 04/10/08 08:47 AM Re: Banner for your band - what do you do?
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
That's a cool looking banner, Steve...not too showy, but just the right amount of tastefulness.

How does it attach to the X-stand?

BTW, you have a great site....also tastefully done.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 04-10-2008).]

Ian gotta give Scott the credit for the banner design. I have the option of mounting the banner with industrial strength velcro which I do most of the time. I can also use a piece of wood similar to what you find at the bottom of the window shade. If using the latter method then I use a decorative style type rope. and can loop the rope over the end either end of the keyboard X stand.

Thanks for the compliment on my web site. I designed it using Microsoft's Front Page.

#231780 - 04/10/08 08:47 AM Re: Banner for your band - what do you do?
Stephenm52 Offline

double post

#231781 - 04/10/08 10:26 AM Re: Banner for your band - what do you do?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Uncle Dave, you touched on one of my pet pieves. The caterers and planners have entirely too much power. Thank God I haven't had to work for them for some time now. If I get a call from one of them, I tell them I'm busy. I will work those kind of events if I'm hired by the client giving the party. I consider planners just one more nail in the coffin of live music. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#231782 - 04/10/08 04:20 PM Re: Banner for your band - what do you do?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Joe,
Some of the best paying clients I have are "event planners". I also sub out for many other local performers, and when playing for someone else's client, you NEVER advertise yourself. I pass out thier business cards, their phone number etc.

If you cut out the protocal in this area (Philly/NY/NJ shore), you cut out a LOT of potential income. Music ( for me ) has always been a BUSINESS. In business, you follow certain rules, or you don't make much money.

More power to you for standing by your beliefs. I too, adhere to a code of work ethics. In many cases - I am a hired gun, and no more.

#231783 - 04/10/08 06:18 PM Re: Banner for your band - what do you do?
chony Offline

The caterers don't make me any problems about signs; but they're not the ones who hire me.
I used to put business cards on the tables, but they asked me to stop and I respected that.

Getting a meal is a different situation.
Some of the caterers are really good about feeding the band, and others are really lousy.
But I tell them its a two way street: if they want the band to make their best efforts to fit into the catering schedule,
they've got to make sure we're well fed. The logic normally works on them!

Chony

[This message has been edited by chony (edited 04-10-2008).]

#231784 - 04/10/08 06:19 PM Re: Banner for your band - what do you do?
chony Offline

I really like ScottYee's sign. Is it color printed to canvas? Where can I do something like this?

#231785 - 04/10/08 06:47 PM Re: Banner for your band - what do you do?
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
I really like ScottYee's sign. Is it color printed to canvas? Where can I do something like this?

Chony, it's actually a heavy duty sheet of black vinyl. The sign maker then put the yellow and white lettering with precut letters that he has in stock. Off hand I don't have the name of the business. I can get that info to you. I gotta believe that if you go to any sign maker they can do something very similar. The guy I had was great he sent me 3 different proofs before I finalized on what I wanted.

#231786 - 04/10/08 07:27 PM Re: Banner for your band - what do you do?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chony,

You can go to Kinkos and they can have it for you the following day. I believe this is where DNJ an dScott Yee both had their signs made.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online