SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#231718 - 04/10/08 04:54 AM Re: Who gigs with their Arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by TommyF:
Also a home player - clearly the minority here

Seems to be that way, Tommy...I thought there would be more home players, but SZ seems to be frequented by mostly pros.

Ian

#231719 - 04/10/08 06:27 AM Re: Who gigs with their Arranger?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
.... but SZ seems to be frequented by mostly pros.
Ian

Or those who like to THINK we are
t.

#231720 - 04/10/08 06:37 AM Re: Who gigs with their Arranger?
John DiLeo Offline

Are you considered a Pro if you get paid only? No matter how good or bad the act is....because I have seen some really bad entertainers in restaurants & bars & left scratching my head.

#231721 - 04/10/08 06:47 AM Re: Who gigs with their Arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by John DiLeo:
Are you considered a Pro if you get paid only? No matter how good or bad the act is....because I have seen some really bad entertainers in restaurants & bars & left scratching my head.

This is my opinion...I would say if you're getting paid for a gig...you're a "pro".

In other words, you are earning your living by your "profession", which in this case, happens to be a musician/entertainer.

Ian

#231722 - 04/10/08 07:15 AM Re: Who gigs with their Arranger?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Getting paid is what defines the pro--good or bad. Of course, the same holds true for all professions. Over the years I have made hundreds dollars in the entainment business.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#231723 - 04/10/08 08:19 AM Re: Who gigs with their Arranger?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by John DiLeo:

Not to me. Being a 'pro' also implies a level of competence. Airlines only hire 'professional' pilots......for good reason. Getting paid to perform at an amateur level only means that the guy that hired you is either a relative or an idiot...most likely, both. The same applies to those who would pay to see you.

chas

#231724 - 04/10/08 08:35 AM Re: Who gigs with their Arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Not to me. Being a 'pro' also implies a level of competence. Airlines only hire 'professional' pilots......for good reason. Getting paid to perform at an amateur level only means that the guy that hired you is either a relative or an idiot...most likely, both. The same applies to those who would pay to see you.

chas

Chas, there is a difference between being a "professional", and being a "competent professional"(or "incompetent professional", if you prefer), wouldn't you agree?

They all get paid.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 04-10-2008).]

#231725 - 04/10/08 09:44 AM Re: Who gigs with their Arranger?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Perhaps there are not so many 'home' players here because, instead of interminable posting, they are actually PLAYING their arrangers!

NOT making MP3's of their tracks, not filling out their MFDs, not slicing loops up to sync with the tracks, not arguing about key numbers, or PA types...

Just PLAYING. For fun, not to impress anyone, not to make some money, just for the joy of it.

Who knows...? I'd like to think so.

#231726 - 04/10/08 09:59 AM Re: Who gigs with their Arranger?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Perhaps there are not so many 'home' players here because, instead of interminable posting, they are actually PLAYING their arrangers!

NOT making MP3's of their tracks, not filling out their MFDs, not slicing loops up to sync with the tracks, not arguing about key numbers, or PA types...

Just PLAYING. For fun, not to impress anyone, not to make some money, just for the joy of it.

Who knows...? I'd like to think so.

Maybe we're in the wrong business Diki...they seem to be having more FUN.

Then again...don't you have fun on SZ?

I know I do...always a hoot!

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 04-10-2008).]

#231727 - 04/10/08 10:03 AM Re: Who gigs with their Arranger?
John DiLeo Offline

I would say that playing music & making yourself happy comes first. Then if you are talented enough to share that with an audience who appreciates you is second, plus if you can get paid to do it would even make it sweeter.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online