SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#230883 - 04/02/08 07:04 PM Re: Korg PA800/PA2X : What Type of Styles Do You Wish You Had More Of ??
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Donny,
certainly hope you find what you're looking for with the next generation of keyboards.

best wishes
rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dnj:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#230884 - 04/02/08 07:23 PM Re: Korg PA800/PA2X : What Type of Styles Do You Wish You Had More Of ??
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Hi Rikki,
Have you had success developing styles based on the Band in a Box styles. I particularly like many of the styles BB offers.
Ciao,
Jerry

#230885 - 04/02/08 09:06 PM Re: Korg PA800/PA2X : What Type of Styles Do You Wish You Had More Of ??
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Jerry,
have worked out a couple of methods of doing it.
First method invloves using EMC's Song to style section of the program. Makes it a bit more automatic, than method 2.

Personally I prefer method 2 ie midi to style. I have more control over the style section I want to use. BIAB seems to randomly choose it's phrases ( based on certain criteria) when playing back a song.
ie I type in a C chord choose a style, & let it play for 16 bars or 32 bars whatever, (over time it changes.) I just save the song as a midifile, then use the import function on the PA800 to import the midifile into a style part, then use the edit function to cut out the bars I don't want. I do it for each variation of the style . Intro's I just use the automatic intro section of BIAB & just record the 4 bars. Endings are pretty basic ( 2 bars)unless one records their own.

Using EMC, I create a complete song ie intro , variations , fills etc in BIAB (based on just the c chord) Save it as a midifile & load it into EMC's Song to style function to create the style.

Neither method is automatic because unfortunately EMC doesn't convert BIAB styles.

I did a couple of them mainly for experimentation, I sent them off to AL earlier, ones's the Laura Swing style , the other is the Orch Arpeggio style 3/4.
Al should have them on site in a couple of days or so. I mainly wanted to see if it could be done.

I'd possibly be more inclined to do them if I couldn't find an existing style to suit.
EMC's Song to Style function makes it a bit quicker & easier.

If you're at all interested I could go into more detail, I'll just have to refresh my memory. I've been busy sorting thru all my old styles & working out Guitar Mode, so BIAB was put on the backburner for the time being.

I'm trying to think back, was it boogie styles or shuffle styles ? you asked about for the Ketron a while back?
I found some boogie ( boogie woogie?) amongst my old Technics files. They appear like they mayconvert reasonably well to Korg, haven't tried doing them for Ketron.
Just not sure I've got the right idea of the type of style you were after.

(Be no hassle running them thru to either format.)

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry T:
Hi Rikki,
Have you had success developing styles based on the Band in a Box styles. I particularly like many of the styles BB offers.
Ciao,
Jerry

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#230886 - 04/02/08 09:18 PM Re: Korg PA800/PA2X : What Type of Styles Do You Wish You Had More Of ??
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Hi Rikki,
I have EMC as well, and as I am going back to a PA1xpro (elite version) I will have to get to and convert some of the great Yamaha and Ketron styles I have kept form the units I have owned.

In a direct answer to the OT, i reckon we need more really solid rock styles as well as the hiphop and dance ones mentioned earlier. A lot have really good drum riffs and beats but the basses and guitars are woeful, so much so that when I use them I play bass and guitar from the keyboard.
Dennis

#230887 - 04/02/08 10:36 PM Re: Korg PA800/PA2X : What Type of Styles Do You Wish You Had More Of ??
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I'm spending most of my time, now, with Band In A Box, rather than my S900, since it has many more styles available. I'm a guitarist who gigs solo several times weekly and needs plentiful backing tracks across a wide variety of styles. Like the original post suggests concerning styles, I've found too little of what I need on arrangers, or too much of what I don't need or will use. Plus, a laptop is easier to transport than a keyboard. At present, BIAB seems to be a better choice. What would be great if one of the major arranger manufacturers could collaborate or buy-in with BIAB to have its styles tweaked for arranger play and available for purchase. Don't imagine that will happen soon, if ever.

#230888 - 04/03/08 06:31 AM Re: Korg PA800/PA2X : What Type of Styles Do You Wish You Had More Of ??
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Thanks Rikki,
You're the best!
Ciao

#230889 - 04/03/08 04:09 PM Re: Korg PA800/PA2X : What Type of Styles Do You Wish You Had More Of ??
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dennis,
nice to hear you're heading back to Korg.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by miden:
[B]Hi Rikki,
I have EMC as well, and as I am going back to a PA1xpro (elite version) I will have to get to and convert some of the great Yamaha and Ketron styles I have kept form the units I have owned.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#230890 - 04/03/08 04:25 PM Re: Korg PA800/PA2X : What Type of Styles Do You Wish You Had More Of ??
rikkisbears Offline

Hi J. Larry,
tend to agree. The range & variety of BIAB styles is amazing. If all I wanted was backing tracks, I don't think one could go past BIAB. It has a more diverse range than most of the keyboards.

Somehow I don't think we'll ever see the BIAB styles on our keyboards, they work differently. Keyboard style tracks just loop, wheras BIAB styles are more random. You basically don't have the same repetative 4 or 8 bars playing over & over.

Actually thought it was going to happen with EMC's Style Factory software. BIAB was mentioned in some literature. 2 years down the track I'm still waiting.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by J. Larry:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#230891 - 04/03/08 06:39 PM Re: Korg PA800/PA2X : What Type of Styles Do You Wish You Had More Of ??
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
I would love to devout the time ..... but I do not have any to spare!! Full time job 60+ hrs a week, on the road?? Lucky to have several hrs a week to play! I will gladly purchase "Quality" styles from Korg or anyone else! I'll give it six months and if styles are not coming than .... that new Tyros3 might be very attractive!!!

#230892 - 04/05/08 05:01 PM Re: Korg PA800/PA2X : What Type of Styles Do You Wish You Had More Of ??
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Al,
thanks for putting the styles on site for me. http://www.arrangerworld.com/dl.asp?cmd=2&cid=9&sid=32
My personal favourites are the
Orchestra Swing ( Ketron conversion, luv this style on my sd1) ( my latest)

& Beguine ( PSR/PA800 Hybrid conversion) ( my first attempt on the PA800)

Look forward to getting some of yours.

best wishes
Rikki

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 04-05-2008).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online