SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#230614 - 04/02/08 05:44 PM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
I used to worship at the Shrine of Stereo. I would never even THINK of going Mono - live.

Thing is, the Stereo image concept only works if you're sitting in the sweet spot FOH. Move to the left or right, or significantly back from that spot, and you not only lose the Stereo field and any instruments painstakingly panned left or right, you get a biased listening field (too much lead guitar, too much backing vocals, or Strings, or Tambourine (!) or what have you.

Since we got the Bose, the clarity of not only the system itself (which deserves some discussion on it own) but the clarity of MONO (everyone hears the same thing no matter where they are) makes it all worthwhile.

Not only will I never play with a different system again, but I will never go back to stereo!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#230615 - 04/02/08 07:33 PM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
zuki Offline

I couldn't dump the L1 quick enough to go back to stereo, even if the field is narrown.

Each their own....

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#230616 - 04/02/08 07:40 PM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Zuki, I never owned an L1, but I am pretty sure I would have done the same as you..I love stereo and it works far better than most are stating..The worse scenario...when you stand back too far...you have mono..at least to the ear..Those that are close or near the "sweet spot", enjoy the stereo..as the performer does...

Mono is a sacrifice...why not use stereo and most will have the stereo experience...

#230617 - 04/02/08 07:51 PM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
hellboy44 Offline

Fran, you know that's simply not true.
Most will not enjoy the stereo experience.

If you're playing EXTREMELY small venues, then there would be a better chance that more than a select few could get some sense of panning/stereo imaging.

We often play larger clubs that have seating (and in some cases) dance floors that are unusually placed i.e. off to the side, widely spaced, non symmetrical etc, and the chances of any kind of pleasing stereo effect being conveyed to anyone not in the "zone" are nil.

(Ironically, the topic of this thread is Best/good subwoofer, and whilst I don't think it's veered too far OT - this is a worthy discussion - subwoofer bass frequencies are, of course, largely non-directional! lol)

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#230618 - 04/02/08 08:02 PM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
Fran Carango Offline

I do not totally disagree with you..Our band also play venues where only mono will work..very large[wide rooms] and out door boardwalk jobs are a couple venues that need mono..but a tight stereo set up in most rooms will work as I mentioned..

#230619 - 04/02/08 08:02 PM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
zuki Offline

Here's what I'm trying at the next gig:
http://www.mackie.com/products/srm450v2

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#230620 - 04/02/08 08:14 PM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
Fran Carango Offline

Zuki, did you already buy the Mackies?

Check out the Yorkville NX750p's..nearly twice the power and better bass response [15"]..about $100 more for each unit..

#230621 - 04/02/08 08:42 PM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
zuki Offline

Fran,

Yes, already have them. I did an L1 GC return anyway. The power is plenty for me and I want to see about the proposed wide field the new Mackies's offer. In addition, the weight is 20 lbs lighter (each).

zuki

#230622 - 04/02/08 09:43 PM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
hellboy44 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I do not totally disagree with you..Our band also play venues where only mono will work..very large[wide rooms] and out door boardwalk jobs are a couple venues that need mono..but a tight stereo set up in most rooms will work as I mentioned..

Fran I'm pleased you agree with me (to a degree) and I am agreeing with you also, in many venues (you say most - perhaps most meaning: most venues that *you* play) Stereo will work.

I'm guessing we play both play very different types of Venues in General.

I wonder how different the Clubs/Pubs/Lounge/Outdoor etc etc scene is in the U.S. compared to Australia?

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#230623 - 04/03/08 04:56 AM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
Dnj Offline

Zuki you returned the best sound system ever made judging by all the glowing reviews? ...May I ask why you didn't like the BOSE system, I'm sure everyone wants to know? I also sold mine after a few months ....Although many love them....it just didnt feel or sound right for ME.
I hope you A/B'd the two 450's Grey & Blue just to be sure ....I know the Grey are proven winners......good luck with them hope they work out for you.
Meanwhile I'm really enjoying my Roland CK100's thats all I'm gonna say at this point

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-03-2008).]

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online