SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#230594 - 03/29/08 10:45 PM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
the previous band at this venue used a pair of Bose with subwoofers...and everyone, and I mean everyone..say the Yorkville out punches the Bose.....

Yes, larger, heavier, more powerful bass amps will put out more bass. The bass WILL be too loud, rattle the mirrirs in the bathroom, and leave you partially deaf each night and probably leave a few patrons with headaches on the ride home. The extra boominess that makes the bad dancers dance will not be able to tell if the highs and mids are proportionate because the volume will be so loud and in their face. You're right......modern technology just can't compete with the good old days.

I just did a sweet 16 party tonight with my L1 II system and only ONE Bose sub ..... the dance floor was never empty, I could hear every request that came to me ...even with my head only 12 inches from the tower.....which BTW, never fed back once even though my live mic was right there too.

The Bose is not for everyone. It's not for those resistant to change, or those who need to actually feel the bass rumble in their stomaches. It's a new and improved approach, and fill the bill 100% for it's target market. You'll never see some MTV rockers with Peavey gear, and you'll never convince an old school musician with hearing loss that this new, smoother system can do the job. Then again, just make him a cassette tape of the sound and have him play it back, while you stroll down memory lane........shouting at each other.

" So, Jeff.....I got a new hearing aid yesterday!"

"Oh yeah...what kind is it??"

"Hmmmm....almost 11:30 ! "

I love you guys....but not as much as I love my Bose.

#230595 - 03/30/08 05:57 AM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
zuki Offline

Funny

Why do people have to play the bass so loud? - to me it's annoying and non-musical.

The Bose has the perfect bass blend - extremely musical and balanced. Detail is for the music aficionato.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#230596 - 03/30/08 10:19 AM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
Uncle Dave Offline

I actually can understand why some people want to hear too much bass. It's the same reason stereo reccivers have a "loudness" control......more bass makes a fuller sound. It teases the ear into thinking it's thicker, better, more powerful. For a dancer, the bass is what drives the beat, not the drums, and if you are a bad dancer, like I am ..... more bass gives you a feeling in your gut that you're already in sync with the music. it's a lie, but hey - who's to judge?

The bass response in the Bose is more proportionate to any sub system I ever heard, yet the younger the crowd, or the more hearing loss ..... the more they need the bass to be grossly UNproportionate so they can "feel" the music.

I "feel" it at all levels, and my dancers seem to appriaciate the balance and reduced ear fatigue. It's a new way of thinking, and some people will never give it a chance. One thing is certain, at 53, I will never lift a 50lb speaker up on a stick ever again. If I need more coverage .... the venue will have to provide additional amplification. My setup is too, too efficient to even think of changing it.

#230597 - 03/30/08 10:41 AM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Another place I like a good bass response is when I play a very different kind of music: organ music. I play both theatre organ style ("cinema" organ) as well as some classical. I bring my keyboard and a MIDI pedal board, and my Meyer Sound sub is particuarly good here, as it gets down to around 30Hz, needed for 16' pipe organ stops.

It doesn't need to be LOUD as much as full and clear (not boomy). And ideally it would be great to have a setup that gets this powerful but not TOO loud bass, around a large room without blasting people out that are closer to the sub. . .

Jim

#230598 - 03/30/08 10:43 AM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
I If I need more coverage .... the venue will have to provide additional amplification. My setup is too, too efficient to even think of changing it.

Yep, good point, Dave...I use a small pair of Yamaha MS60S powered monitors...they work perfect in my type of venue, which is restaurant/dinner music...less than 25 lbs each...they use "Active Servo Technology" which gives a nice robust bass without being boomy...AND most of all...easy set up.

If I need more oomph, the venue rents(and sets up) additional gear, and I use my MS60S for monitors.

My days of lugging heavy gear are in the past...anything over 30 lbs gets tossed.

Ian

#230599 - 03/30/08 10:51 AM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Yes, larger, heavier, more powerful bass amps will put out more bass. The bass WILL be too loud, rattle the mirrirs in the bathroom, and leave you partially deaf each night and probably leave a few patrons with headaches on the ride home. The extra boominess that makes the bad dancers dance will not be able to tell if the highs and mids are proportionate because the volume will be so loud and in their face. You're right......modern technology just can't compete with the good old days.

I just did a sweet 16 party tonight with my L1 II system and only ONE Bose sub ..... the dance floor was never empty, I could hear every request that came to me ...even with my head only 12 inches from the tower.....which BTW, never fed back once even though my live mic was right there too.

The Bose is not for everyone. It's not for those resistant to change, or those who need to actually feel the bass rumble in their stomaches. It's a new and improved approach, and fill the bill 100% for it's target market. You'll never see some MTV rockers with Peavey gear, and you'll never convince an old school musician with hearing loss that this new, smoother system can do the job. Then again, just make him a cassette tape of the sound and have him play it back, while you stroll down memory lane........shouting at each other.

" So, Jeff.....I got a new hearing aid yesterday!"

"Oh yeah...what kind is it??"

"Hmmmm....almost 11:30 ! "

I love you guys....but not as much as I love my Bose.

Great night last night..dancers were happy..The sub woofer was cooking, and the mirror in the bathroom cracked..

My wife went with me too...when we got home...she said she had a headache...

#230600 - 03/30/08 06:58 PM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
zuki Offline

LOL Fran - great punch line

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#230601 - 03/30/08 07:27 PM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:

Well...no wonder !
( Doesn't that excuse get tired after a while? )

#230602 - 03/31/08 01:37 PM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
coca Offline

Here are some of the small sub come to mind:

1. FBT power sub(very expensive)
2. EV Sx series sub (passive)
3. Roland KWC-1 power sub
4. Bose MB4 (requires bose controller)

coca

#230603 - 03/31/08 02:21 PM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:

I've reached an age where I'm praying to hear those words now.

chas

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online