SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#230584 - 03/29/08 07:34 AM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
People have to stop thinking of the Z-5500 as a "computer speaker system" ... I realize that's what they sell as, but there is NO ONE who would use these speakers to their FULL potential in a 'home' environment !!! ... Would they be adequate for a 'dance' gig for 500 people?, I can't say because I haven't played one ... BUT ... I have used the sub in a large outdoor setting, and augmented by a couple of 'slaves', they certainly were MORE than adequate ...
They ONLY way to find out is to try them !!!
t.

#230585 - 03/29/08 08:14 AM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The Z-5500 5.1 Surround Sound System is based upon NEW TECHNOLOGY. It uses speakers that have a very long throw, and the sub delivers a full 188-watts RMS--not peak power.

Some of the older, extremely heavy subs used inch-thick cabinets made from particle board, which anyone that has been in the construction industry can attest, is extremely heavy. While it provides excellent accustic characteristics for the older, heavy-magnet speakers, the weight is brutal. Keep in mind that most sound system manufacturers are slowly but surely headed toward utilizing newer, lightweight materials for the cabinets, and they're switching to smaller, long-throw, space-age material speakers. I anticipate we will all see some dramatic changes in sound systems in the next few years. Some folks, however, will continue to struggle along with heavier gear. I just will not be among them.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#230586 - 03/29/08 08:30 AM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
Dnj Offline

The word "BEST' in the subject title will always cause attitudes to fly aimlessly here on any topic & Without getting into the weight argument again.....just go out and look at what top DJ's are using as Sub Bottoms to couple with their top FOTH sound reinforcement gear....NO WHERE have I ever seen a Z5500 in any way shape or form....it simply cannot cut the mustard sound wise. If you want to fool yourself into thinking it can then Godspeed to you, If you want to skimp on YOUR sound be my guest.....sure they are just adequate for a OMB arranger act in small venues or back yard shindig, or in your living room but not at all appropriate for a 500 person affair....
But what do I know

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-29-2008).]

#230587 - 03/29/08 09:10 AM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

But what do I know
[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-29-2008).]

Donny, to use YOUR oft quoted statement - "Have you TRIED them" ?
And please, don't be so condescending to those of us that use them to say "If you want to skimp on YOUR sound be my guest", because believe me we are NOT ... Nor did I say that the Z-5500 used with the standard sats would suffice for a 500 person gig ...
The fact that the Z-55 subs may not be used by DJ does not MEAN that they couldn't be ... and how many DJ's sound sytems are 'over the top' just for the sake of trying impressing the public with more sound and gear than they ever need to USE ?!?!?
t.

#230588 - 03/29/08 11:25 AM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
Dnj Offline

Tony.....
Yes, I've heard the Z5500 before....
my buddy has them for his giant HD Plasma TV in his house....in that scenario they sound ok. That's what they were intended to do for not professional sound reinforcement. There just not something I would use.

Enjoy them.

#230589 - 03/29/08 03:08 PM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Gee Whiz guys..I have heard many smaller sub woofers and they are just that "smaller sub woofers"
Nothing to do with manufacturer..Heck even the Roland sub woofer is a great smaller sub woofer...but even at 200 watts..it will not do the job the "BIG" boys can do...

All my experiences have shown the larger, heavier sub woofers are always superior..BTW: I recently checked out the monster Vega sub woofer [2200 watts]...unbelievable power...and they weigh a ton..

Tonight my 300 plus dance floor will be happy with the Yorkville system...besides the break DJ pumps thru a 20,000 dollar house system...guess what system sounds better.. ...that's right, the consensus of patrons say so...and the house system is no slouch...

I also believe the plastic housings not to be adequate for sub woofers...The construction makes a difference as they did 20 plus years ago....

#230590 - 03/29/08 03:11 PM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I forgot to mention...the previous band at this venue used a pair of Bose with subwoofers...and everyone, and I mean everyone..say the Yorkville out punches the Bose.....even the band members that use the Bose...So much for modern technology..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 03-29-2008).]

#230591 - 03/29/08 07:46 PM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
So much for modern technology..

Ah yes--Antiquity! Hmmmmm! I wonder where that G-1000 is now?

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#230592 - 03/29/08 09:04 PM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Fran...
Just curious. The place you mention above sounds very big. I'm guessing a commercial bar similar to ones I was familiar with in Sommers Point and Wildwood - wear I played while in college. What is the predominant age group at the above venue?

While I can't imagine the gear you are using would add anything for the audiences I play, and in fact, could even turn them off, I concede that the Bose (and maybe the Logitec Z's) does not pump out the bottom end that is almost mandatory at some of the venues that cater to younger crowds than I play to.

Even if I was younger and could wrestle the additional weight, the performing space that I am given has diminished where there is hardly room for a conventional setup.

But, I am interested in your description of the venue and the age group that patronizes it.

Eddie

#230593 - 03/29/08 09:25 PM Re: Best / good subwoofer?
Dnj Offline

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online