SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 19 20 >
Topic Options
#230238 - 03/27/08 07:21 AM Re: How many keys? DISCUSSION thread...
Dnj Offline

Pasa nice post....

I also feel when the Yamaha SA voice era Hysteria subsides people who think they need 76 keys will simply realize
THERE ARE "OTHER" GREAT CHOICES besides Yamaha to choose from that can certainly without a doubt satisfy their Musical Arranger Needs for sure.

#230239 - 03/27/08 09:04 AM Re: How many keys? DISCUSSION thread...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
What frustrates me with 61 keys is trying to do an arpeggio or a Glissando with the left hand Synchro turned on. You can't do it!! If you have a song like; I will Survive that has an Arpeggio beginning, you just cant do it with 61 keys without using the Octave button and losing a hand.

[This message has been edited by kbrkr (edited 03-27-2008).]

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#230240 - 03/27/08 09:06 AM Re: How many keys? DISCUSSION thread...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I'm a converted organ player, so I'm used the 61 note boards, but as stated early on I have problems with hand placement for some piano work. Often I find that I need to transpose an octave down to keep the sound in range and my hands from playing too low on the keyboard.

I simply like a larger keyboard as long as the size and weight are not prohibitive. As for piano-style square keys and weighting, that's another discussion altogether.

#230241 - 03/27/08 09:12 AM Re: How many keys? DISCUSSION thread...
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I performed professionally for many years without any problems using 41 keys.

The Accordion / Cordovox

Jerry

#230242 - 03/27/08 09:38 AM Re: How many keys? DISCUSSION thread...
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
If they made the exact same board in both 61 and one 76, like the workstations I still wouldn't care unless there was a big price difference.
Meaning I'd take whatever they had on the floor unless ,like I said, price were a big factor.

#230243 - 03/27/08 12:17 PM Re: How many keys? DISCUSSION thread...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Firstly, let me point out that the organ has 122 keys (two manuals). Don't try to tell me you never used the second manual...

I am still stunned at the apologia for Yamaha in the face of overwhelming support for the need for a 76 in Yamaha's product line up. Some of these arguments are so post hoc ergo propter hoc it isn't even funny! You are taking the end result, and using it as the cause...

Yamaha don't make a 76, therefore, Yamaha SHOULDN'T make a 76. That bucket doesn't even have a bottom.

Nor is comparison to a G70, which is a totally different arranger. If Ford make a BAD SUV, Chrysler shouldn't make one either, because it might be bad too? Not much confidence in your brand/religion, there, Ian...

But the clincher is, Yamaha DID make a 76. Therefore any argument is moot. They saw the need for one and tried to fill it. But the fact that it was a total disaster had NOTHING to do with how many keys it had. It was a disaster because the OS was a shambles, and it was put into production FAR too early (sound familiar? ). It was a loss of face that still has not been recovered from, because the NEED for the product hasn't changed, only the willingness to get back on the horse has changed.

It seems Yamaha haven't got much stomach for acknowledging where the TRUE culprit in the 9000Pro debacle came from. It was a 76, our other, more successful arrangers are 61-ers, therefore the 9000Pro's failure MUST have been due to that. It couldn't POSSIBLY be that WE screwed the OS up. Not us. We're YAMAHA, damnit!

And, once again, I remind you all that, were Yamaha to actually make a 76, Ian would be one of it's greatest cheerleaders. I guarantee he would not be shooting it down in flames as a bad idea. It's only a bad idea because Yamaha don't actually make one!

If Yamaha do it... it's good. If they don't... it's bad...

Baaaaaah....!

#230244 - 03/27/08 02:03 PM Re: How many keys? DISCUSSION thread...
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Interesting discussion, but so far I did not see the most important reason to choose for 76 keys instead of 61.
We are talking arranger keyboards!

So if brought back to the basic funtion of the arranger keyboard, left hand acc and right hand melodyline, fils etc...

It all depends how are you playing your left hand acc!

one finger or full chords!

To get most out of it you use full chords.

So 76 keys at least, since you need 2,5 octaves to bring in all the nuances.

So is it correct to say that the 61keys players don't play full chords, but one finger only...?

I am aware that this last sentence will steam up some but hey who cares...

Fred

#230245 - 03/27/08 03:03 PM Re: How many keys? DISCUSSION thread...
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
'It seems Yamaha haven't got much stomach for acknowledging where the TRUE culprit in the 9000Pro debacle came from. It was a 76, our other, more successful arrangers are 61-ers, therefore the 9000Pro's failure MUST have been due to that. It couldn't POSSIBLY be that WE screwed the OS up. Not us. We're YAMAHA, damnit!'

Do you actually believe what you type Diki ?? Are you seriously saying that yamaha did not put out another 76 key arranger purely because they produced a bugged out 76 keyboard before ???? do they believe that having those ectra keys might jinx the Operating system ??? Are you saying yamaha are too proud despite the gazzillions extra YOU think they would make in profit to just put out an EXACT COPY of the highly successful T1 or T2 ??? I mean there would be no bug issues to simply put out a 76 key replica of what already exists right ???

How naieve of the men in suits at yamaha !!!They should all be fired and i would totally agree with you but for the fact that they have the most successful arranger keyboard on the planet....That redeems their idiotic illogical stance somewhat....

If only marketing , productions and sales were as simple to do PROFITABLY as you appear to think it is Diki. Like i said i would love for yamaha to make a 76key keyboard just for you and the same for me with a built in genuine sampler ,sequencer and synth editor but for some strange reason yamaha are not likely to do it. Maybe people like you and me are not in yamaha's target market. Maybe , just maybe yamaha aim their arranger products at the home market, where 61 keys fits just right and samplers are not really priority, sound editing and sequencing are nice extras but not really necessary but great styles and CD quality sounds are....Wait a minute !!! doesnt that sound like a great idea !! Why dont Yamaha make a product just like that...oh darn it i just remebered something mate. THEY ALREADY HAVE.

I hope you know i am just sparring with you Diki . I genuinely respect your viewpoint on most topics but on this one your tunnel visioned.

[This message has been edited by spalding (edited 03-27-2008).]

#230246 - 03/27/08 03:22 PM Re: How many keys? DISCUSSION thread...
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
If you use chord inversions all chords with the left hand can be played within 1 octave

Bill

#230247 - 03/27/08 04:36 PM Re: How many keys? DISCUSSION thread...
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Inversions? I need transfers 4th-5th-6th-9th etc...smoothly...between full range of
chords
There's no way you can accomplish that without having octopus hands en fingers within one octave.
By the way you should read 2 octaves instead of 2,5..

Fred

Page 3 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 19 20 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online