SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#229831 - 03/23/08 03:03 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
BTW, I feel that things get a bit more confrontational at times here compared to other sites because you have owners of more than one brand all talking together... which you do NOT at brand specific sites like Korgforums, YamahaPKOwner, Roland-Arranger.com, etc..

But the dissemination of different viewpoints is a good thing, even if it occasionally gets testy. There's only one way to learn, and that's to listen. And if you only listen to those that agree with you, you never get all the picture.

#229832 - 03/23/08 03:20 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Spalding,
well said.

Makes one a bit nevous about sharing stuff in general, if it can get hijacked by another forum, & your work gets critized by outsiders.

I certainly wouldn't be happy to have one of my user styles put up for critism against a keyboard Factory style. I know they're not as good, but that's why the companies pay expert programmers to do theirs.

Users share because, maybe, someone else will get some use from what they've created apart from themselves,
you use it , fine, you toss it, the creators none the wiser.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by spalding:
and please gentlemen I know the guy thatdesigned that sax sound. He didnt do it for any other reason than to add another sound to the Korg library over at the Korg forum. It is a really healthy forum where members help each other and contribute music, styles and sounds ... maybe we should hold back on the critisism . He did not put up his work to be compared with anyone else and certainly has nothing to hide. We could learn and benefit from people who give of themselves like this.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#229833 - 03/23/08 03:26 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Spalding,
well said.

Please remember that the headline of this thread is: "Yamaha sax or Korg Sax - you be the judge." Nowhere in that post does it say anything about any individual musician - its just a comparison of two keyboards, not a judgement of anyone's performance.

#229834 - 03/23/08 04:36 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Chony,
I know, but it is still a user created sound being put up against a factory sound.
He's included the sample set, so I doubt he's just tweaked an onboard sax sound.
Some of the Korg users use the sample section of their keyboards an awful lot.

If one needs to do comparison's, between Korg & Yamaha compare a korg sax factory sound to a tyros sax sound. Korg's big enough to withstand critisism. Personally I'm not that big a fan of the korg sax sounds , but this guys sax "sound" doesn't deserve critism. He's sharing his work.
Maybe someone can provide a User created Tyros sample set demo to compare it with.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
Please remember that the headline of this thread is: "Yamaha sax or Korg Sax - you be the judge." Nowhere in that post does it say anything about any individual musician - its just a comparison of two keyboards, not a judgement of anyone's performance.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#229835 - 03/23/08 04:57 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
'No contest. The fact that the Korg had to be drowned in reverb, chorus and delay just shows how desperate this user was to made it sound good. That's what everybody does when they have something to hide...'

Chony read this to yourself outloud and imagine the guy who made this sound was in front of you. Would you look him in his face and tell him that he was desperately trying to hide the poor sound by drowning it in reverb ?

Be honest with yourself. Lets not dance around clever arguments about critisisms of Korg or Yamaha. What you posted was unnecessarily rude to the creator of the sound.Not Korg or Yamaha. If i did that i would expect to be pulled up about it.

And if you posted some of your work elsewhere and someone were to be unduly harsh to your work i would pull them up about it just as quickly i can assure you.

#229836 - 03/23/08 05:01 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
BTW, I feel that things get a bit more confrontational at times here compared to other sites because you have owners of more than one brand all talking together... which you do NOT at brand specific sites like Korgforums, YamahaPKOwner, Roland-Arranger.com, etc..

Excellent point Diki.....I agree...but here on the SZ separate manufacturers forums they are dead....go figure?

#229837 - 03/23/08 05:16 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
zuki Offline

The point I was making was to say Yamaha and Korg saxes are very good, but not with the representation given by the demos.

But I seem to get in trouble recently with posts, so see you later......

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#229838 - 03/23/08 05:38 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
This is all a moot and pointless thread. The comparison is incorrect. This isn't a comparison of the Yamaha Sax and the Korg Sax. It is a comparison of the Yamaha Sax and a sample that someone created for the Korg PA keyboards. It is NOT from Korg. You could actually load this sample into the Yamaha and then rename this topic:

Yamaha SA Sax compared to the Yamaha non-SA Sample.

I get the biggest kick out of the pissing contest that was generated just by mentioning the comparison of two manufacturers. That was precious! LOL

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#229839 - 03/23/08 10:44 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Spalding and Rikkis,

Now that I've read a few more of the posts on this thread, I can hear where you're coming from. Quite frankly I thought that this was a regular Korg Sax drenched in effects to make it usable. I didn't realize that this was a creation by a Korg user. Obviously in that case its not fair to compare.

Unfortunately the original post made none of this clear.

PS: Btw, even taking into account that I was "criticizing" how he drenched the sax in effects, my criticism wasn't of the user, it was of Korg that made a sax that only sounded good when drenched in effects. When I wrote "... how desparate the user was to make the Korg sax sound good" and that he has "something to hide..." that's what I had in mind, although in retrospect it was a very poor choice of words.

Trust me, I'm the last person on this planet to judge another person or another person's work. When it comes to professional companies and businesses whom I pay for a product however, I do expect the best bang for my buck.

Apologies if I offended the Korg user.
Chony

[This message has been edited by chony (edited 03-23-2008).]

#229840 - 03/23/08 11:16 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Ye Gods! Such wailing and gnashing of teeth over a few people expressing an OPINION! And a few of them even explaining their opinion... (bastards!)

What effrontery! How DARE we have ANY opinion about anything..? Don't you know that everything is equal, nothing is any better than anything else, and anyone that offers up (no matter where) something to listen to does so in the hope that no-one will comment about it at all (as praise is as bad as criticism if opinion is a bad thing)?

I feel like I'm in kindergarten... Better be careful. We wouldn't want to even SLIGHTLY dent anyone's self esteem, would we..? That plague virus has as much right to life as any one of us...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 03-23-2008).]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online