SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#229821 - 03/23/08 09:18 AM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Sounds like a Wersi Tenor Sax to me...not bad...quite expressive...nice growl.

Ian

#229822 - 03/23/08 10:26 AM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
JIMSAX Offline

Loc: Baltimore MD USA
Hi Guys, I've played sax in Baltimore clubs for the last 40+ years. No sax player sounds the same. I beleive the sax is the toughest sound to reproduce. There are many variables such as type of mouth piece, type of reed, even the horn manufacturer makes a big differance. For my money the tyros is as close as it gets.

THERE THATS SETTELS IT!!!!

jIM

#229823 - 03/23/08 12:49 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
and please gentlemen i know the guy thatdesigned that sax sound. He didnt do it for any other reason than to add another sound to the Korg library over at the Korg forum. It is a really healthy forum where members help each other and contribute music, styles and sounds ... maybe we should hold back on the critisism . He did not put up his work to be compared with anyone else and certainly has nothing to hide. We could learn and benefit from people who give of themselves like this.

#229824 - 03/23/08 01:04 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
TommyF Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by spalding:
It is a really healthy forum where members help each other and contribute music, styles and sounds ... maybe we should hold back on the critisism.

Very wise words. The completely different reactions to the same user created content here at Synthzone and at the other forum clearly demonstrate why many of us would never dare to post anything here.

Kind regards,
Tommy

#229825 - 03/23/08 01:39 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TommyF:
Very wise words. The completely different reactions to the same user created content here at Synthzone and at the other forum clearly demonstrate why many of us would never dare to post anything here.

Kind regards,
Tommy

Many of the same people frequent all these kb forums using many other alias user names...so I dont understand what your getting at Tommy......If someone says something good or bad people take offense.....if people dont comment they get offended...the one thing SZ has is REAL people that Help each other on or off the forum for many years as did you Tommy which I still appreciate to this day as have many others....& as I have tried to return the assistance when I can to whomever asks....it has certainly changed my Musical life......so dont knock a good thing SZ just does it differently..

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-23-2008).]

#229826 - 03/23/08 01:52 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
TommyF Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Donny,

I think it has a lot to do with how you formulate the criticism. Like many others I do value constructive criticism, but try to reread Chony's and Zuki's entries in this thread. They might be right in their criticism but as I see it the sole purpose of these statements are to offend and provoke.

Kind regards,
Tommy

#229827 - 03/23/08 02:17 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by TommyF:
Donny,

I think it has a lot to do with how you formulate the criticism. Like many others I do value constructive criticism, but try to reread Chony's and Zuki's entries in this thread. They might be right in their criticism but as I see it the sole purpose of these statements are to offend and provoke.

Kind regards,
Tommy

Definitely not. I was comparing the Korg keyboard to the Yamaha keyboard, not the guy who performed on the Korg. (In fact I thought he was pretty good.)

In my opinion the Korg sax sucks compared to the Yamaha. In my opinion as well, the Yamaha drums, pianos, and bass, suck compared to the Korg.

Why do you take personal offense to this? Why should I have to post a disclaimer "I'm not here to offend anyone" / "Just my 2c", etc. We're not in kindergarten...

To sum up: In my opinion Korg is great at certain things, and Yamaha great at others. At the same time Korg sucks at many things, and Yamaha sucks at others. And I do not judge anyone here on their skills and / or preferences. In fact I think that many of the people who I disagree with are better musicians than I am. But I still think the Korg sax sucks...

Could I be clearer?

#229828 - 03/23/08 02:19 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I wonder how the breath sound is triggered between notes on the Yamaha demo.

#229829 - 03/23/08 02:20 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Dave,

A footswitch activates the breath sound.

Ian

#229830 - 03/23/08 02:57 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
And, to be honest, the SA sax is NOT the 'best sounding' sax out there...

But it IS the best PLAYING, and the only one with any degree of realism once you actually PLAY a line. Which, in my book, makes it the 'best'.

The degree of legato control you have in your technique can go a LONG way towards making sax emulation with non-SA saxes more believable. But most of the time here at SZ, I hear everybody making the same basic mistake of holding a note fractionally too long while the next one starts. A sax CANNOT make more than one note at a time, but the slightly long release time (to prevent single notes chopping off unnaturally) causes great problems when playing a legato line. VERY fine control of legato can make this less apparent, but it's never totally successful.

The SA saxes are the only thing that change this note off behavior depending on how you play. All automatically, you just play... It's amazing to hear.

One can only hope this isn't patented technology, and eventually Korg and Roland (who we see have something like this in the pipeline on their Atelier organs) can incorporate it on to the already excellent SOUNDING (but not playing!) sax sounds...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online