SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#225994 - 02/02/08 01:34 PM First Impressions of Pa2XPro
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Well, my Pa2XPro arrived safely on Friday, and I have been playing it as much as my wife will allow me. I bought it from Frank (Audioworks)who gave me the promised special price for Synthzone member. I liked the way he took time to talk things through with me, was only to happy to answer questions and did exactly what he said he was going to do. I had auditioned the PA800 in the past and have been waiting for the Pa2XPro to give me the 76 key capability.

It's heavier than the Tyros, but just under the 40 pound limit my doctor suggested as a maximum for me (after inguinal hernia surgery 2 years ago). And indeed it felt fine (so far).

Firstly the look is excellent, very compact for a 76 note keyboard. The key feel is superb. Not as hard as a piano, but very sensitive. I realize that my years of playing Tyros has made my technique sloppy, so I'll be working on that for sure.

The operating system is going to take some work to understand, particularly how to save what, when and where. It seems so complete, it looks like you could do just about anything (if you knew how).

The sounds are superb, although I find the default volumes are not right for me, so I've been playing with how to create the balance that suits my style. I've heard mixed reviews of Korg piano but I really like the Grand Piano RX. The pipe organ sounds are far superior to Tyros. Haven't found a guitar sound I like as much as the Tyros ConcertGuitar, but I suspect it is a question of settings.

I really like the styles, very nice unplugged styles, soft ballad, soft 8 Beat, Brazilian Samba. I already know I'm going to miss some of the Tyros 2 styles, but Rikki and Donny have already helped me (thanks guys). But so far I have been able to find styles that work with all the pieces I have played, at least to start with, and I'm hoping the pads will allow me to enhance them more.

Happy days, I'm exhausted from concentrating so hard for too long, but thrilled with this new board.

Graham

#225995 - 02/02/08 01:41 PM Re: First Impressions of Pa2XPro
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
I prefer Pa 2x keys to G70.The best out there for the arranger.Pa2x is more like Fantom X8 without the weights.I do like how it bounce back in G 70 though.

G70's black keys has different feel(material)than white keys.Not so with pa2x which I prefer.

#225996 - 02/02/08 02:20 PM Re: First Impressions of Pa2XPro
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Graham:

Thanks for the review. I agree on all points you brought up about what you'll miss on the Tyros2 Likewise I'm with you on the unplugged styles on my PA800. Don't miss trying the Organ Bossa style, it's terrific. Your comments along with Jamman's on the action have really got me anxious to get my PA2xPro. Wow, even better than the G70. (loved the G70 action). Frank's comments on the action got me interested in the PA2xPro in the first place.

Good luck Graham, sounds like you're going to be busy getting acquainted with the new board.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 02-02-2008).]

#225997 - 02/02/08 02:30 PM Re: First Impressions of Pa2XPro
Dnj Offline

Graham congrats on your new Korg acquisition.....good luck with it......try to obtain the 3 DVD set "Arranger Secrets"....its a good tool to get you started also....the song book feature will allow you to save & setup all your songs on one custom list & is a terrific navigational tool for easy retrieval of your songs. Fave Fun exploring it!!!

#225998 - 02/04/08 07:20 PM Re: First Impressions of Pa2XPro
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Graham,
you may be able to pick up some additional styles on http://www.createsongstyles.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

I convert & tweak the occasional style, which I usually post there.

There was a link to a really large download the other day, it included PA1X styles & some earlier korg styles.
Not sure if the link is still working, I did manage to download them myself. Still sorting thru the good from the bad.

If they're no longer available, and you need some , let me know.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PraiseTheLord:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online