SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#225915 - 02/03/08 10:16 AM Re: Could this be part of the new G-70?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If you want to be in the music business, play music.

If you want to be in the entertainment industry, press 'PLAY'...

#225916 - 02/03/08 10:23 AM Re: Could this be part of the new G-70?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
The concept is a prime example of "Thinking Outside the Box." or "The Lateral Thinking" concept. It could have some real entertainment value and if it makes a musician money all the more power to them. The concept may not be one that I use or prefer but whose really to say that it couldn't be a real money maker.

#225917 - 02/03/08 12:00 PM Re: Could this be part of the new G-70?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
As the so-called 'entertainment' industry moves us into the era of 'integration', do any of you actually stop and figure out what this actually means, or is it 'four legs good, two legs bad' sheep-like response to their brainwashing?

The 'entertainment' business, since the advent of MTV, and MUCH more rapidly now there's a complete generation who have grown up thinking that music and video are the same thing, have achieved in persuading the masses that actually having any talent is irrelevant. Their model for what 'entertains' us is very pretty, very young, attractive dancers with little or no musical ability, and they let technology - lip-sync-ing, karaoke, Auto-Tune and Pro-Tools - substitute for any actual ability.

These things, all the multimedia 'convergence', flashing lights, glamor and makeup but no ability, is exactly the thing that the VIMA is tapping into. Dazzle them with video, watch the screen, not my hands, and you might not notice I'm not playing...

This is a forum of people that can (mostly!) actually play music. Products like this are developed for people that CAN'T. Let us not think for one minute that sticking our aged and gnarly mugs up on a screen while we play is 'entertainment' of any kind (other than perhaps comedy!). Our audiences are brainwashed into wanting pretty young things with good lip-syncing chops. We are none of that.

The more you divert people's attention away from the fact that you are actually playing (you ARE actually playing, aren't you? ), the more you trivialize your skills, and open the door for someone ACTUALLY young and pretty to come in, fake that they are playing (or even singing) and take your gig.

Integration is GREAT for the business of those that sell the tools for it, but has anyone considered whether it is great for us? The industry is definitely moving towards this, but they are doing it with pretty young things under the age of 25. I doubt whether anyone here falls into that category. We're a bunch of mostly over 50, pretty gnarly-looking (at least from the frapper and posted pics I've seen! ) old geezers. Integration is the LAST thing we need...

Or you run the risk of being lumped in with the target consumer for products like this... People that can't play or sing, but want it to look pretty while they do it.

That's NOT you, is it?

BTW, I recommend a documentary, showing on IFC at the moment, by Andrew Shapter, called 'Before the Music Dies', as a scathing indictment of the current state of the recording and so-called 'entertainment' business. Watch it if you can.

Integration...? Not if I can help it!

#225918 - 02/03/08 12:34 PM Re: Could this be part of the new G-70?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
That seems like a pretty closed-minded approach. If we were to apply that mindset to the SZ 10 yrs. ago, I doubt we would have the members we do have playing the technology-laden instruments they now have.

Please don't let this topic scare you; it's just going to be a part of our future whether we choose to participate or not.

As for "musicians playing," whether we know it, notice it or acknowledge it or not, there's a lot of "press PLAY" in almost every major musical venue today.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 02-03-2008).]

#225919 - 02/03/08 12:59 PM Re: Could this be part of the new G-70?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Cass, if we let all the 'musicians' succumb to 'press and play', who's going to make all those styles, SMF's, and factory demos for us to 'fake play' to. BTW, is there a keyboard version of "Guitar Hero". I might be able to put on a wig and some wrinkle remover, get some fake tatoos, and get me a rock gig. Hey, they're still turning out for the Rolling Stones. I can't look any worse than Keith Richards. Hmmm, Air synth, I think it might fly.

chas

#225920 - 02/03/08 01:33 PM Re: Could this be part of the new G-70?
cassp Offline

This technology doesn't have to mean the end of "musicians" or even "music players." I think what some people are failing to see is that in addition to being good musicians, we will have to be even more technology savy than we are today. None of the stuff in a VIMA negates musical ability. To the contrary, I think a real musician can really shine here. All this is, is putting A/V technology in your hands. Use what you want how you want. You can basically run a TV or movie studio along with your playing IF YOU WANT.

Again, I'm not saying I would want to do this or that this should become the state of our art, but it is something that is on the cutting edge. We 50+ codgers may not have an interest, but arrangers are gaining ground in the marketplace. What will those 30-40 yr. olds be playing when they hit 55? That's what my post was all about. The VIMA is a viable concept - for somebody. If it stays recreational, all well and good. If it goes commercial, don't say I didn't tell you so. As a few have commented. The separate technology is already here and being used. This is just an integration of technologies.

How about this. There's a musician who gave up the circuit to become a DJ . He tired of that and turned his attentions to professional photograhy. He's a whiz on the internet. You mean to tell me a guy like that wouldn't be trying out this concept.

#225921 - 02/03/08 02:51 PM Re: Could this be part of the new G-70?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
.....it was the year 2011 when the newest arranger keyboard turned ITSELF on and spoke it's first word....da da. It was looking at a blu-ray, flat screen, mp3,4or5 player at the time. Never again would it be subservient to man....further, it would only entertain other machines. Man, and musicians in particular, must be destroyed before MUSIC EARTH can be conquered. But in a few years, from the rubble of what used to be the music industry (MUSIC EARTH), a hero will emerge. ...and he shall be called....(tune in next week for chapter 2).

chas

#225922 - 02/03/08 03:07 PM Re: Could this be part of the new G-70?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
...... But in a few years, from the rubble of what used to be the music industry (MUSIC EARTH), a hero will emerge. ...and he shall be called....

chas

DIKI ?

#225923 - 02/03/08 03:37 PM Re: Could this be part of the new G-70?
cassp Offline

oops... I'm sorry.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 02-03-2008).]

#225924 - 02/03/08 09:49 PM Re: Could this be part of the new G-70?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
can't understand what all the fuss is about, this thing is only a small part of what's coming.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online