SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#225431 - 01/29/08 03:23 AM PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
First off, this is a rather long story, but I want to alert others of what could happen if your keyboard needs repair. I also want to thank Gary Diamond, Dick Roberts, Dave Boyd, George Kaye, Larry Warner, and other members for their support, and advise.

OK here goes:

Oct. 31 2007: Dropped off keyboard at local music store, and paid $62 for them to look at it.

Nov 15: Called store for any updates...none

Nov 30: Receive phone call from store, saying the repair is beyond their capability, and will be sent to Yamaha for further evaluation.

Dec 15: Called store for an update...none

Jan 2 2008: Emailed store for an update...no response

Jan 14 3:00 pm : Called Harvey Casey, Yamaha Tech Manager U.S.A.
Explained dilemma with him. He calls music store for more info.

Jan 14 3:10 pm: Receive phone call from Music store...(mmm 10 minutes after Yamaha calls them). They tell me that they were just going to call me before they received Casey's call (yea right) They also tell me the computer in the keyboard is broke, and to replace the motherboard: $800.
I tell them that's crazy, and to forget it.

It's at this time, I decide to give up on the 3000. 10 weeks is frustrating.$800 is more frustrating.

However...

Today, Jan 28: I receive a phone call from someone at Yamaha USA(I'm sorry I didn't get his name, not Casey) and he asked me if I had the paper work for Yamaha. He told me there is no record of any keyboard from me to Yamaha, or from the music store to Yamaha.... In other words, the local music store may have NEVER even sent it to Yamaha.

Further the Yamaha rep told me that the price of a new motherboard does not sound correct. In fact, worse case scenario, that if the motherboard would need to be replaced, it would probably be maybe half that cost, and that many times, motherboards can be repaired at a much more reasonable cost. He also told me, that since the problem occurred while attempting an OS update, that it may not be the motherboard at all, but rather a much less expensive Flash Rom.

Bottom line... I feel the music store has deliberately misled me, in that they claim they sent the repair to Yamaha. They also misled me, that the repair from Yamaha would be $800 for a new motherboard, when if fact, I found out directly from Yamaha today, that it is about half that price, and motherboards can indeed be repaired, AND it's a good possibility, it may not be the motherboard at all!

So while it's too late in the day to call the Music Store (I STILL have not received the keyboard back from them !) Tomorrow, should bring an interesting phone call to find out exactly WHERE they sent the keyboard, and HOW they came up with a price?

I believe they flat out made up a repair price, because of pressure from Yamaha...it's evident... me finally receiving a phone call from the music store, 10 minutes after Yamaha called them. All of a sudden, they know what's wrong, and have a diagnosis?

If I had to do it over again, I would have sent the keyboard directly to Yamaha.
But then again, because this Music store was an official Yamaha dealer, I thought they would do that for me.

I know Yamaha USA, is not the main culprit here, but the Music store has a direct relationship with Yamaha. They (The music store) are an official dealer of Yamaha,and should be trusted with a repair, therefore I feel Yamaha, while being somewhat helpful should bear more responsibility

Now, I now need to make a decision on weather to pay shipment to Yamaha Calif. from here in Pa. and back. That would cost about another $100, plus the $62 for the original payment, plus the cost of repair.
I love this keyboard, and even though I can't afford another, I may just decide to 'FORGET IT'...it's all too frustrating.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#225432 - 01/29/08 04:39 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Larry ... that's too bad ... Have you told Yamaha the whole story? Hopefully they would not be happy with one of their authorized dealers treating a customer so badly ... and maybe you could at least get your $62 back ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 01-29-2008).]

#225433 - 01/29/08 05:15 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
lahawk Offline

Hi Tony,

Yes, I've told as many people that were willing to listen. Yamaha has been fairly supportive, but at this point, I may need to move on, as I'm tired of it all. Enough already...know what I mean?

Thanks for your support, and Go Giants...that from an Eagle fan

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#225434 - 01/29/08 06:14 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Larry, I would follow this thru, especially if Yamaha is willing to foot the bill. Not only would I follow it thru, I would push Yamaha to repair this at little or no cost.

Right now, you have the eyes and ears of at least one major source of Yamaha income, SZ, and good or bad PR could make a dent in Yammie sales. I think manufacturers seriously want their customers to be satisfied with their product. See what Yamaha can do for you before hanging up on the 3K.

Once it's fixed you can always sell it to Fran as a door stop.

#225435 - 01/29/08 06:30 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
Beakybird Offline

What's the name of the music store? Did you get paperwork? Did you get your keyboard back? Demand money back. Complain to Yamaha and recommend that they have their Yamaha repair/distributorship taken away.

Beakybird

#225436 - 01/29/08 03:28 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
lahawk Offline

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support, and advise.

At this point, I'd rather not name the music store. I did notifiy Yamaha of all the repair details, including the store name.

It turns out the music store is an official Yamaha dealer, but not an official Yamaha repair center.

I've been in contact with Yamaha L.A. and they helped me get an answer from the Music Store, although I'm not satisfied with that answer. Again, where did they get the $800 price from? Why did it take nearly 3 months? If Yamaha has no knowledge of the keyboard being sent to them...where WAS it sent?

The whole situation stinks. 3 months without the keyboard, and then an $800 estimate. What?

Yamaha did offer to repair the keyboard, and is sending me a Return Authorization if I want to persue it. Yamaha also said the repair should be less than the $800 quoted by the Music store. As stated above, worse case would be $400 for a new motherboard. But, and a biggy, I would have to pay shipping, both ways, from Pennsylvania to California. Now the worse case is up to $500.

And No, I still did not get the keyboard back from the Music Store, and I didn't call them today, as I was way to upset to deal with them.

I need a break from this.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#225437 - 01/29/08 03:50 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Larry,
couldn't agree more whole heartedly.
Take a few days to consider your options.
You don't want to decide while you're feeling upset.

best wishes
rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lahawk:
[B]

The whole situation stinks.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#225438 - 01/29/08 05:07 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Larry what a story that's sorry to hear you were treated that way by the dealer. No way that should have happened especially with a dealer for major brand like Yamaha. Good luck Hmmm, $500 repair, I'd certainly take a few days to think it out.

#225439 - 01/29/08 06:14 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
cassp Offline

Larry, FWIT, I just sold my 3K for $825. They're not selling for much more.

#225440 - 01/29/08 07:55 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
this was my response to Larry's email to me:
This is really a sad state of affairs and an apparent effort for a big rip off.

I would advise you to forward this to your local Action Line, to Yamaha Corporate in Los Angeles, and to your local Consumer division of your country Prosecutor’s office.

I would then advise these jerks that you intend to file suit in Small Claims court on a day you pick (recommend 30 days out) if you are not reimbursed for your losses if you have any, such as loss of keyboard, gig income, etc.

I would then advise them also that you intend to post this in the Synthzone where it will be read by 16,000 musicians in 68 countries, and that it will be sent out to all 9 of bebop’s email lists.

I would suggest that you only do this in a certified Letter with return receipt.

You may very likely get your total repairs at NO COST by the time you have worked through these suggestions.

Best to you and let me know if and when you want me to Email this to my lists.

You can post it in the bar in the Synthzone and then in the other forums post a notice that it is in the bar and a brief description of what it is and ask people to comment to it in the bar. Then you can cut and past all of that and send it also to Yam and your local flake dealer.
I have now e mailed this per your approval to all my email list members.
I might add that I have owned most all makes of keyboards and equipment and have never had this kind of trouble with any manufacturer.
Larry responded to my reply to him and I replied writing him again as follows:
Usually a piano and/or organ store has an outside technician that does their work. Very few if any stores have a tech on staff.

So If you have such a store in your area find out who does their work and take the keyboard to them and get a firm price or not to exceed.

I would do that even if your town don’t have anyone. send it over to Philly. Ask Fran, Donnie who to use.

I am sending this out on the lists for any other musicians with a similar situation any time in the future. There are other list members in your area too.

Bebop

#225441 - 01/29/08 10:22 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Why don't you want to let us know who it is?

You don't want this to happen to another SZ member who might be unwittingly going to the same dealer, do you?

#225442 - 01/30/08 04:42 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
lahawk Offline

First off, it is a local store, not an on line store, so unless you live in my area, you will probably never deal with them.

I am tempted to give the name of the store, as I know my fellow member friends would hammer them into doing something.

I shall give them one last chance to make amends, and if there is no change in the situation, I will announce the name of the store. I also am not happy that Yamaha has not put more pressure on them to compensate a customer.

If the problem is 'corrected' I will also let everyone know that too. So it will work both ways. It's now up to the store and Yamaha.

BTW...If you really need to know the name of the store now, and have any kind of detective abilities, you can track it down.

Again, thanks, I'm receiving so much support from SynthZone members, and I'm glad I have you all on my side.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#225443 - 01/30/08 05:58 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Larry, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. It's very unfortunate.

This REALLY makes me appreciate my local music store/dealer. They are an authorized Yamaha dealer and repair center. I've brought them two keyboards over the past few years; a Korg Triton and a Yamaha Tyros. The Tyros 1 had a bad DIRECT button on the LCD panel. In both instances, the repairs were completed in 2 weeks. The Tyros was done for FREE!!! AND both times, they gave me a loaner keyboard!!!!

The music store is Alto Music in Middletown New York.

------------------
Al Giordano http://www.arrangerworld.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland SPD-S.

[This message has been edited by kbrkr (edited 01-30-2008).]

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#225444 - 01/30/08 06:06 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Larry,

This is a sad story for you and for the store. For you - because you don't deserve this type of treatment...and for the store - I have patronized this store many times and am sorry to see them treat you this way. I hope that they will do the right thing so my faith in their integrity will remain firm.

I trust that when all is said and done, you will see how all this worked out for your benefit.

Best regards, your Allentown bud,
Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#225445 - 01/30/08 06:13 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
lahawk Offline

WOW AL,

That's a great story, and offers hope.

I checked out the Alto Music Web site.

Now that's a music store, that many in our area desire.

Thanks

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#225446 - 01/30/08 06:19 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
lahawk Offline

Thanks Tim,

This store [they have 3] has been around, and is suppose to have a good reputation, but in this case, they were just plain horrible.

I am giving them another chance. They still have my keyboard. I'm waiting for them, or Yamaha to call me with a resolution. The clock is ticking.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 01-30-2008).]

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#225447 - 01/30/08 07:47 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
Larry,
By the way, I can vouch for Alto Music. That is one great store. Chris at Alto's keyboard dpt. has been there for years and has his finger on the pulse of both the pro synth and pro arranger market. I purchased my S900 there. Chris was with me all the way through the 3 returns I had with my faulty S900s.

Even tho it's a 100 mi. trip one way, it's worth a visit if you ever get the chance. Plus their prices are very competitive.

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#225448 - 01/30/08 09:44 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Tim,

Yes, Chris is a great guy and a fellow gigging musician (even though he plays guitar). He understands, as do the owners, the importance of customer service to loyal musicians.

One thing that isn't very apparent is their prices; They pretty much beat all the web stores and big box chains on pricing. Most of their sales are for Studio and equipment rental to Major Acts visiting New York.

Next time you go to Alto, give me a shout and I'll meet you there and say howdy!!

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#225449 - 01/30/08 02:02 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
Diki Offline

Perhaps you ought to email this thread to the store, just in case they think this is not going to affect them...?

Any dealer in his right mind, once he sees how public his mistakes have become, is an idiot if he doesn't immediately correct the problem ASAP.

#225450 - 02/01/08 06:07 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
lahawk Offline

The store knows of this thread.
Yamaha knows of this thread.
I thank Nigel for the SynthZone, and I thank members who have responded.

I am still waiting for a fair settlement.
Exactly 3 months today...and counting.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#225451 - 02/01/08 11:28 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
BEBOP Offline

Larry,
People who wait don't get fair settlements.
People who push the envelope get fair settlements.
Hence my advice up near the top of this thread.
Take it from a lifetime business man.
Bebop

#225452 - 02/01/08 12:42 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Larry and Tim, Should Fred be worried..

#225453 - 02/01/08 05:37 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
lahawk Offline

I'll be the first to admit at being 'too easy' when it comes to situations like this. When I bought my last car, if it wasn't for my wife, I'd be paying a higher interest rate for more money It's a flaw I have, I'd make a lousy lawyer, I am way too patient. I'd also be a lousy salesman, I'd give stuff away.

Anyway, I talked to the music store rep, and he made me an offer that I didn't like. He offered a deal on a S-700 that took about $125 off the list price, or I could repair the 3000 for $600 rather than the original $800. Instead of me demanding something better, I asked him to let me think about it, and I'd call him back.

When I called back, I actually countered him (yes I did !)with a new offer, he said " I'd lose money on that deal'. So now it's no longer about making a dissatisfied customer happy, it's about the store losing money. (I didn't tell HIM that, but told myself that)

I explained to him that Yamaha could probably fix the keyboard for a lot less than what the music store quoted.

He wanted the phone number of the Yamaha rep that told me that (why would I make that up), to confirm that there was a less expensive way to handle this...soooo I called Yamaha, and explained the new story.
Yamaha is well aware what is going on, and they have issued me a case number.
side note... I just realized while checking the spelling...Why did I need to call Yamaha? Doesn't the store have the number to verify prices?

So Yamaha called me today, and I had to explain the whole thing over again for the umpteen time. The very friendly Yamaha rep said he would call the store, to work something out (again) The day is over, and I have heard nothing from anyone.

While this Yamaha rep had me on the phone, he told me that indeed, a motherboard replacement is not cheap, and that the store would not make money on the new repair deal (again it's the money, not customer satisfaction). He then said if the keyboard were sent to Yamaha, most of the time, individual circuits can be repaired, at a much cheaper cost.

At this point, all I'm asking is that the music store ships the keyboard from the music store to Yamaha, then from Yamaha to my home. I'll pay the cost of repair. the music store pays for the shipping. I asked the Yamaha rep to ask the store rep if they would do that. ( I was in no mood to talk to the store rep again)

I really want this settled next week. Either I'm getting the broken keyboard back, and I'll be done with this store, and will have lost some faith in Yamaha, or a more reasonable settlement is reached.

Is that asking too much for a 3 month (and counting)repair wait?

Edited for spelling

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 02-01-2008).]

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#225454 - 02/01/08 05:52 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
Dnj Offline

Larry is this worth it?....you can get a used good condition 3k between 700-800 bucks if you look around a bit!

#225455 - 02/01/08 05:56 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
Diki Offline

I guess we are beginning to see the lesson here...

If anything goes wrong with your arranger (or any other gear, for that matter), you don't take it to the dealer (unless it is still under warranty). You find out where the nearest Authorized Repair Center is, and talk to them.

The dealer, especially in these days of internet sales cutting brick and mortar stores' margins, is only interested in making a profit. Few of them even expect a repeat sale from a satisfied customer if they can't match online pricing. All they want is your money, and then outsource the work (sound familiar?!).

The Authorized Service Centers (you should be able to look these up online, or a call to the Headquarters will inform you) are the right people to make your first stop, one shop place to go. You'll generally find them to be honest and knowledgeable (they have to pass all kinds of tests to become Authorized), and usually have come across most problems before, so they know what your options are.

Here's hoping that this doesn't happen to anyone else, ever again!

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 02-01-2008).]

#225456 - 02/01/08 05:58 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
lahawk Offline

Don,

You're right.

I don't know why I'm going through this.
I'm real close to dropping everything.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#225457 - 02/01/08 06:03 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
lahawk Offline

Dikki,

You are absolutly spot on with this advise.

There is a huge difference in Authorized Dealers and Authorized Repair Centers.

I just assumed Yamaha Dealers would send Yamaha repairs to Yamaha Authorized Repair Centers.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#225458 - 02/01/08 06:06 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Larry,

My immediate boss, the Yamaha rep for my territory, just finished having a PSR-9000 fixed for a customer...it needed a new display...of course it was way out of warranty.

He covered the parts, labour and shipping the instrument to the Yamaha Service Dept and back again.

The customer, a loyal Yamaha user, needless to say, was very pleased...and I'm sure he told his friends...and they told two friends...and they...well, you know.

This is not the first time my boss has done this...he tells me it goes a long way to establish customer faith in the product and the cost is small compared to the cost of bad public relations.

In my opinion, the store (if that's where you purchased it) and their Yamaha rep are making a huge mistake by not correcting your situation ASAP in some sort of way that YOU come away feeling you were treated as a valuable customer.

You have a lot more patience than I.

Good luck.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 02-01-2008).]

#225459 - 02/01/08 08:19 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
BEBOP Offline

Larry,
I just emailed you name and email address of my Yam contact in Los Angeles at corporate support that helped me with a couple problems the tyros 2 had when I got it.
Give him a try.
Bebop

#225460 - 02/01/08 09:26 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
Dnj Offline

I once had to bring in one of my my Psr9000 arrangers.. to a so called Authorized Yamaha Service person in a big Local Music store not too far from here to replace a worn broken keystrip Arggggg.....which if anyone knows who had this happen will when a certain Key is depressed will emit the Loudest sound at maximum loudness versus all the others because the key contact has torn thru the strip. Anyway....after 3 days of waiting thank goodness I was off....I picked it up from the store after a call saying it was ready......after getting it home and trying it before a big gig that night I notice that the key is repaired
and works as it should, BUT.....I now have NO Display!!! needless to say some how this idiot so called Authorized Service tech screwed up and didn't reconnect they Display Plug inside after the repair......
I could barley see the LCD lettering through the screen if I used a FLASHLIGHT as a reflective device.....and without exaggeration had to go to the gig and perform for 4 hrs like a blind man using the maglight flashlight to make all my changes & played the whole gig that way......the next day I went back to the store like a raving wild man to blast the crap out of this jerk.....he says "Just leave it and he'll get to it sometime this week " due to all the other work in front of mine....so I marched into the offices of the owners which I personally know and talk them the story of what happened......& that I had a full gig schedule that was being hindered by this nincompoop.......they were so angry....the owners went to the back of the store repair room and blasted this guy making him open the keyboard and see that he INDEED left the display plug terminal off causing the problem.....its was repaired......he was reprimanded....they apologized....I was happy.....& off I went into the sunset to make more music....

Dont always trust these so called AUTHORIZED service centers......its all about money not about your satisfaction most of the time....Buyer Beware!

#225461 - 02/01/08 09:44 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I had to send a keyboard back to Yamaha recently. They were absolutely great! They sent me a new one and then sent a pickup order for the damaged one, and promised me a gift for my inconvenience. My dealer was George Kaye--might have had a lot to do with it.
DonM

#225462 - 02/02/08 03:16 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
BEBOP Offline

Lets keep this thread on top so the Yam people don't accidently miss it when passing through
Bebop Bb

#225463 - 02/02/08 04:33 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
My last 5 keyboards have all been Yamaha. Only once have I ever had to contact Yamaha USA..and that was to find an authorized repair shop for, what turned out to be a minor problem.

After the purchase of a PSR 2000 they sent me a questionnaire offering to extend the warranty an extra year if I filled it out and sent it back, which I did. That was a nice gesture. It felt good.

And remember when Yamaha USA donated a PSR 740 to Robbie and Ryan, the young twins in need of a keyboard to compose music for films? That also made me feel good about Yamaha.

Over the last few years I have recommended various Yamaha products to two pros and several other hobbyists. All purchased the product that I felt best suited their need and skills.

The hobbyists all offered to compensate me to teach them the OS. It was a snap because they only wanted to know the basics re: music finder, registrations and in one case, making midi files.

The two pros are still playing Yamaha products and seem very satisfied.

I sincerely hope that Larry will end up feeling as good about Yamaha as I do. His dealer sure did not treat him right.

Eddie

#225464 - 02/04/08 07:11 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
lahawk Offline

I just got a call from the music store.

They are calling Yamaha today with my case#.

The music store will pay the shipping cost to California, and back to Pennsylvania. I will pay the repair cost, hopefully at a much lower cost than the Music store quote.

For the record, the above was agreed upon by me and the music store, and at this point, I'll take it.

I also want to thank everyone for their support, some guys really went the extra step. Also thanks to Nigel for allowing me to use his forum as a help in settling this mess.

I had a hard time trying to decide to be more aggressive, as some suggested, or to just 'forget it', and move on.

I decided to be go the 'between route' and make a reasonable deal with the Music Store.

This could all be for naught if the repair estimate from Yamaha is as high as the music store estimate. At least then, I'll know for sure, and I won't have to pay shipping to find out, Then I'll move on.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#225465 - 02/04/08 07:54 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Larry,
I'm glad things are moving in a possitive direction.
I would like to add my two cents regarding some remarks Diki made about bringing in your keyboard to the dealer vs a repair center.
Many of my customers who bring their boards to my store first, find out there is nothing wrong with their keyboard that a factory reset or just pilot error was the reason for the problem. I encourage my customers to talk to me first. Most of the centers I send my customers to often call me to ask questions on operational issues because they don't know how to test the product to see if the customers complaint is pilot error. Just like a car, many problems don't show up when at the repair shop.
Again, each store handles things differently, but because I don't do repairs in my store, I feel it my duty to help out my customers so they get the best possible service. The stores that have their own repair facilities make a profit from their repair business, so I would suggest that a customer would need to be carefull regarding price quotes to make sure they are getting a fair deal.

The person at Yamaha that heads up the tech support team at Yamaha USA monitors this forum all the time and he and I speak frequently. I'm certain he has read these posts and will be monitoring this PSR3000's developments at Yamaha US.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#225466 - 02/04/08 01:47 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
Diki Offline

George, I am sure that if anyone had bought their arranger from you, they would know that you are the first person to talk to about any problems...

But sadly, you are the exception, not the rule. Most stores are barely even tolerant of polluting their fine store with these arranger 'toys', know nothing about them, and wouldn't know about a factory reset procedure if their children's lives depended on it!

Unless you HAVE purchased your arranger at George's, or another store you KNOW the salesmen are knowledgeable and honest, my above advice still stands...

At the very least, do the research, and find out if there IS an Authorized Service Center within driving distance. Save yourself some gas, and go there first (especially if you KNOW it is a hardware problem). All the dealer is going to do is refer you to there, or ship it (at your expense) across town. Might as well cut out the middle-man, unless you ARE dealing with someone as trustworthy as George...

#225467 - 02/04/08 04:02 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
lahawk Offline

Another update, and I hope I'm not boring you all, but it may be of some help.

I received two calls from Yamaha.(Steve and Elijah of Yamaha are unbelievably good with customer support).We agreed... Rather than ship the keyboard coast to coast, round trip, Yamaha is shipping all parts that could possibly be needed, to the store, to be installed by a certified Yamaha repair tech. And they are doing this at a cost that will drastically reduce the original estimate of the motherboard. The store has agreed to this. Both the store and Yamaha will not make money on this, but they both want this customer to be happy.

For Yamaha to get involved in a keyboard that is out of warranty, and is shipping parts at a reduced price...you can't beat that service.

And for the music store to acknowledge the mistake, and to work together with Yamaha shows me the store is truly sorry for the mix up. I appreciate that.

George,

Thanks for the advise, and can you open a store in Pa.?

Steve from Yamaha asked me to pass this on:
If a keyboard is out of warranty, contact Yamaha, and arrange for Yamaha to repair the keyboard. They fix first, and replace only if necessary. Unless you really know an expert, use Yamaha LA

Also a good point about a factory reset.
It's still hard for me to believe that while upgrading the OS, the motherboard would suffer a complete meltdown. There must be some safeguard built in that protects this expensive part. I'm no expert, but I heard something about the flash ROM, or a small circuit board that protects the motherboard...??

Dikki also has a great point...Homework is important with repairs, I know I have learned that in this ordeal.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#225468 - 02/04/08 07:46 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
btweengigs Offline

Larry...
Your posts on this matter are not boring any of us who are following this saga. We can relate.

I am really glad that Steve (Demming, I presume) jumped in to help you and that everyone is doing the right thing.

Let us know how it all turns out.

Eddie

#225469 - 02/05/08 12:06 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
Diki Offline

I am glad this is starting to get resolved.

I believe this shows the power of, firstly, not just taking it, but complaining, and secondly, when you HAVE been ripped off (or attempted rip-off!) to vocalize here at SZ. This is virtually (at least short of litigation!) the only way to put pressure on a large corporation to rein in their greedy, stupid underlings. Public exposure, on a global scale. It's how they think, it should be how WE think.

Hopefully, this is a lesson learned for ALL our members. You DON'T have to take it when they treat you like this, and you have a LOT more leverage than you think you do. Just take a look at the first few posts, then take a look at this (hopefully!) happy ending.

The squeaky wheel DOES get the grease, especially if he has dozens of other wheels squeaking along with him.

#225470 - 02/14/08 10:33 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
BEBOP Offline

Larry,
Has your keyboard been repaired and returned to you yet.
Kindly keep us updated on this as it could very well affect our of our decisions on the next keyboard to buy.
After market service is every bit as important as the new gimmics that are installed.
Waiting to hear from you,
Bebop

#225471 - 02/14/08 12:19 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
cassp Offline

Larry, I think this has been a most interesting thread. SZ members really came thru for you in so many ways - that's what we are really about. And Yamaha and your retailer finally seem to be getting it right. Good for you.

#225472 - 02/14/08 01:47 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
lahawk Offline

That is so correct cassp
The SynthZone forum, and the awesome members really helped push this forward.
I can't tell you how much that's appreciated.

However...
It's still not completely over. The last I heard the parts were shipped by Yamaha to the store, on, or about Feb 4. So I'm waiting for...

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Map

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#225473 - 02/14/08 02:02 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Larry,

Glad to hear things are finally getting to the point where you'll soon be playing the 3000 again.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#225474 - 02/14/08 04:51 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Larry, I've only read this now that things look resolved. Man, you cannot let people walk over you like that. This won't be the last time this happens, and besides, what makes you think this story is over?

#225475 - 02/14/08 08:08 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
btweengigs Offline

Larry...
So..it seems like things are moving on the right track. But, it is not over until you have a KB that works the way it is supposed to.

It looks like Yamaha has done their part. I am am hopeful the retailer does his.

Keep us informed, please.
Eddie

#225476 - 02/16/08 08:28 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
lahawk Offline

IT'S OVER !

I picked up the keyboard, and it's home, and it's working great! A new Main PC Board was installed, and I swear, it sounds better than before the breakdown. Now this could be my imagination, or because it's been so long, I may have forgotten how it really sounds. But it appears to be a more 'richer' sound. Possible?

So one last time, I would like to thank Yamaha who went the extra mile to satisfy an unhappy customer. Because of them, the final repair cost was 1/2 the original estimate. They really had nothing to do with my 'long wait problem' with the store, but felt obligated to help. They have the best support system of any major company that I know of. It's a great reason to continue to use Yamaha.

I also want to thank Nigel, if not for this forum, I don't believe I would have made it this far. The members who responded with concern and advise was a HUGE asset in getting this done. Make no mistake, comments on the SynthZone get noticed by those in power. If you only knew how this helps...

I owe all you guys big time!

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Map

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#225477 - 02/16/08 09:28 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
btweengigs Offline

CONGRATULATIONS LARRY!!!!!!!

Kudos for YamahaUS stepping in and to you for your patience and determination.

Now Enjoy..and take good care of that "baby".

Eddie

#225478 - 02/16/08 09:51 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
Jørgen Sørensen Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Good to know your struggle was not in vain.

Regards from Denmark
Jørgen

------------------
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site

#225479 - 02/16/08 10:18 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Larry ... Congrats to you and YamahaUS ...
Enjoy ..
t.

#225480 - 02/16/08 11:13 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Whew! From now on - buy from a "Zone" dealer!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online