SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#223296 - 12/24/07 04:19 PM Re: Deciding on an arranger, really need help with regards to key feel?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Miden is returning a PA2X in this post http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/016678.html

In it he remarks on the PA2x having quite a different feel to the PA1X. You might want to check this out before you 'assume' that they are the same...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 12-24-2007).]

#223297 - 12/25/07 02:05 AM Re: Deciding on an arranger, really need help with regards to key feel?
Y0shi Offline

Loc: Staffordshire, England
Ahhh thanks a lot for that Diki, that puts a new light on things. If the PA2X key feel isn't vastly different to the PA800 it's not really worth getting one. Maybe they're both using the same keybed as the new M3's, which feel quite light (similar to PSR's but better). Any ideas anyone exactly what keybeds korg are using in the newer range?

#223298 - 12/25/07 11:16 AM Re: Deciding on an arranger, really need help with regards to key feel?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Y0shi:
Actually DonM i've had a bit of a rethink and slept on it. I think as long as the PA800 is well made and the keys are made to last I will still get one. If I bought a PA2X I would have to get rid of the TE76, because there would no longer be room for it. If I got the PA800 however I could keep both as it's portable and has it's own speakers.
Can anyone comment on the actual build quality of the PA800, are the buttons quite good and the keys feel like they will last (not loose or very cheap)?
Sorry to be a nuisance I just want to be sure , thanks again

Build quality of the PA800 seemed very good to me. I liked the key feel - very sturdy.
DonM

#223299 - 12/25/07 02:49 PM Re: Deciding on an arranger, really need help with regards to key feel?
Y0shi Offline

Thanks Don
I was a bit confused whether the light feel people had described was light and cheap feeling like a PSR, or light but well made. I'm pleased to hear it's the latter, these are sounding more and more like the board for me.

#223300 - 12/25/07 03:20 PM Re: Deciding on an arranger, really need help with regards to key feel?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yoshi, just be sure you are happy with the sound before purchasing. Good luck with your decision. All the new arrangers are great! Just in different ways.
DonM

#223301 - 12/25/07 03:23 PM Re: Deciding on an arranger, really need help with regards to key feel?
paulgee Offline

Quote:
If PA800 has the same cheap Fatar rubbish that they use in the lower end arrangers and synths I would not be interrested at all.

This probably won't help much, but the keybed of the PA800 is very similar (if not identical - I couldn't see any difference) to that found in the StudioLogic SL161 (i.e. a Fatar keybed) - except the PA800 has non-weighted keys as opposed to the semi-weighted ones on the SL161. Not sure if this is what you are referring to as the cheap Fatar keybeds.

The other closest comparison I could make is that it is similar to the keybeds in the PA80 and Karma keyboards. The quality of the keyboard is good but for me it is very different from say the PA1X-pro (76 key) or G70 keybeds.

When you say PA1X do you mean the 61 or 76 key version, because they both have distinctly different keybeds and consequently keyfeel but both are also very nice semi-weighted keybeds and again to my feel a notch above the PA800.

Paul.

[This message has been edited by paulgee (edited 12-25-2007).]

#223302 - 12/25/07 04:30 PM Re: Deciding on an arranger, really need help with regards to key feel?
Y0shi Offline

Hi Paul, you've answered my questions exactly thank you
When I said PA1X I did mean the pro yes, not the 61 key PA1X. The keybed you're describing is exactly what I was asking about. The Fatar bed from the Karma,PA80,Triton LE,N364 etc, the one I really hate lol. I was really hoping it would have the Triton/Triton Extreme keys which are very similar to the Tyros 2. I asked around and apparently the PA2X has got the same keybed as the PA1X pro, this is the one for me i'm sure. Many thanks again for all replies to my spamming, and thank you Paul for finally clarifying things for me once and for all

#223303 - 12/25/07 05:28 PM Re: Deciding on an arranger, really need help with regards to key feel?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Man am I glad that I am an organist. I can use any keyboard and not have a problem with 61 keys and any keyfeel. I can judge a keyboard by its sound and features and not care in the least about keyfeel.

Tom

Tom

#223304 - 12/26/07 06:15 AM Re: Deciding on an arranger, really need help with regards to key feel?
Y0shi Offline

For me personally Tom, I can play fine on any keys, obviously piano needs a more weighty feel though to be expressive. My issue is one of quality, over the years i've had a few Korg synths with the cheaper Fatar bed, and random keys either stop responding or get stuck at 100% velocity. When you are paying £1500+ for an instrument (which takes a lot of saving) you expect proper quality, otherwise you might as well make do with a £300 PSR. I wish Korg and especially Yamaha would realise this, and make a quality keybed a priority in their medium/high end range. I would never buy a PSR-S900 purely for this reason, although I think it's a fantastic board otherwise. I am probably just showing my age, I remember when everything was made to last, and a synth was built like a tank lol.

#223305 - 12/26/07 01:18 PM Re: Deciding on an arranger, really need help with regards to key feel?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Lightness, once it is better than PSR, is not too much of a problem to compensate for. But key SHAPE and lack of 'wobble' or bounce CAN make quite a difference to your playing.

Shape makes a big difference in that some synth keybeds have smallish black keys compared to a piano, some even have shorter white keys too... Shape also effects ease of doing smears and glisses if you play a lot of organ style. Keys with sharp corners and edges, and piano shaped white keys, with the little overhang that real piano keys have, can make palm smears much more difficult, your hand can get caught up on the corners.

And then lack of 'wobble' or any sideways play in the key really effects these smear tactics (!), and gives a clue to quality of construction, and likeliness of durability problems.

Finally, key 'bounce', or the tendency to repeat a note if the note is 'flicked' (such as a grace note) can be a problem. Many makers forget the key needs damping well at the TOP of the travel as well as the bottom!

If your skill level is high enough, all of these things CAN make a difference in how well you can actually play. Sure, you CAN sit down at just about anything with black and white so-called 'keys', and bang out a tune. But don't let anyone persuade you that it makes NO difference. For the better players, or those aspiring to improve, don't discount how well the action works as a factor in how well you can play... Ask any pianist, and the action, and how well it is regulated in a piano, is JUST as important as how in tune it is..!

Why should WE have any lower standards? You don't actually PLAY an arranger. You play it's KEYBED. It is where the 'rubber meets the road'. Don't dismiss it's importance...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online