SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#223175 - 01/10/08 04:50 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bernie,
don't know if it's of any interest to you,
but I did an article for the Create A Song forum on options of using the 2 together.
( Some step by step examples also)
You use the harmonizer?? if so, you'd want the SD2 sound going to your sound system rather than using the inputs on your PA800
like my setup.

You'll be surprised at how good a controller the PA800 actually is, gives you the option of all 4 L&R melody voices played either
internally by PA800, ( you choose sounds via the sound buttons)
externally by SD2 only, ( you use bank & program change messages just like controller keyboard) and it gets saved to sts's.
or a combination of both ( you again choose sounds via the sound buttons but sd2 & PA800 will both layer a similar sound.)

You can even have the sd2 play style parts which may come in handy should I decide to convert some of my SD1 styles across to PA800.
http://www.createsongstyles.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=104&Itemid=34

I tried the setup last night with my SD1+.
Sounded sensational.
Hate to say it, but for melody voices, to my ears, the SD1+ sounds better than the PA800. The sounds are fuller.
Fortunately I'm only using it at home , so now I have the best of both worlds.
I think they'll be permanently midied together.
Now all I have to do is find a way of adding the psr1500.hmmm Who says you can only play one keyboard at a time haahaa.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie9:
[B]Rikki
You are the only one I know of to have both, but for all I know, it may apply to any modern keyboard.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223176 - 01/10/08 05:10 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Bernie,
don't know if it's of any interest to you,
but I did an article for the Create A Song forum on options of using the 2 together.

http://www.createsongstyles.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=104&Itemid=34

best wishes
Rikki

Bernie, I tried Rikki's set of instructions, she's done a great job with them. Very simple to understand and got me to the point I needed to be at to use the SD2.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 01-10-2008).]

#223177 - 01/10/08 07:27 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, I am surprised....no I am shocked that you can play more than one keyboard at a time. I guess I must eat my words!!!!

Now with this new midi approach, Rikki can just keep buying keyboards ..... there is just no end to this.

#223178 - 01/11/08 06:44 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thank you both for link. I rather knew I was just scratching the surface. I will dig into it.
Bernie

#223179 - 01/11/08 08:01 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Bernie9 Offline

I went through Rikki's tutorial and I think it is great that one can direct the midi to call up the exact instrument from the SD2 tables. I am sure one can make some killer programs. Don't forget the line in gain adjustment on the PA-800, if it it set to the lowest setting. You may want to increase it and handle the balance with the SD2 slider, as well as the PA800 balance slider.

However, for quick changes in performance, I find that, as a rule, the PA800 automatically calls up a like instrument and will bolster the PA800 sufficiently, as I originally reported.

Thank you Rikki for showing us a way to obtain the exact sound from the SD2 . That part was a mystery. Good work.
Bernie

#223180 - 01/12/08 11:48 AM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I found the same to be true with my Sonic Cell and Tyros combo. I can layer the Tyros' R1, R2, R3, and Left voices with the Sonic Cells sounds of the same category (bank) in Performance Mode and of course choose specific sounds from other banks, whether GM, Preset, or SRX expansion cards if preferred. I can also turn off local control for R1 on the Tyros and play just the Sonic Cell sound in Patch Mode (part 1) and then layer R2, R3, and Left voices of the Tyros to create rich layered sounds combining both the Sonic Cell and Tyros' sounds together. The Master volumes of each can be adjusted to give you that perfect blend of sounds from each one and there is also the volume adjustment of each of the individual tracks that can be adjusted as well of course. There is also the option to route specific parts out through either the Main Outs or Sub1/Sub2 outs of the Tyros and the possibilities expand even further with the other set of Tyros MIDI In/MIDI Out ports.

I can do the same with the Style parts and the Tyros' Multi-Pads too. Also, when playing a 'song' through the Tyros the sounds are played back through the Sonic Cell in Perfomance Mode and can utilize up to all 16 tracks of the Sonic Cell essentially doubling the effect and also adding additional nuances while at the same time enhancing the songs sonic palette and capability in my opinion.

Here is a song demonstrating the effect. Note: This song has only "10" tracks but I still think you will get the idea.

All Of My Days

Best,
Mike

PS: One for you Aussies!

BTW, I think the Ketron SD2 is a great bang for the buck sound module and also an extremely portable sound solution.

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 01-12-2008).]

#223181 - 01/12/08 03:02 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
Bernie9 Offline

Mike
It sounds like you have all the bases covered alright. My PA800 can do all except the last paragraph. I read the Sonic Cell is a fine module except for a limited playlist. I think it was Fran that had one and sold it for that reason alone.

My audio on my computer just went out, but will hear your rendition on my laptop later.
Bernie

#223182 - 01/12/08 03:59 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Frank,
don't know about adding more keyboards, the only brand I'm missing currently out of the mainstream ones is a Roland.

Maybe a Roland soundmodule instead haahaa.

Must admit I'd luv to see a Receptor or I suppose i could check into a decent software sample player for melody.(If my laptops up to it.

The PA800 seems to be working out perfectly . The fact that it is able to send out program & bank changes for style & melody parts, & having the option of choosing whether the tracks are played internally, externally or both for any of the parts ( including style parts) is brilliant.

Leads to all sorts of interesting combinations haahaa

best wishes
rikki

p.s.
would you like salt & pepper haahaa
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B]Rikki, I am surprised....no I am shocked that you can play more than one keyboard at a time. I guess I must eat my words!!!!

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223183 - 01/12/08 04:23 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bernie,
where it possibly may come in handy is for the additional sd2 banks.

I'm not quite sure which sounds you'd be calling up when you choose the PA800 to call up the SD2 sounds, but you may be limiting yourself to just Bank 0.
It's so hard to tell with no display.
For layering pa & sd sounds having the PA choose is ideal.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie9:
[B]I went through Rikki's tutorial and I think it is great that one can direct the midi to call up the exact instrument from the SD2 tables.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#223184 - 01/12/08 04:39 PM Re: PA-800 AND SD2 WOW!
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Mike,
I'm not really familiar with the Sonic Cell,
but I gather it has buttons you can actually push to change voices, banks etc ??
(wheras the sd2 has nothing) or did you get your Tyros to do it all including any specific sounds & banks??

I midied my SD2 to my PSR1500, but for melody, I was only able to choose voices from the default gm 0 bank.( ie the other psr bank changes didn't match the sd2 banks)
For styles (if I wanted the sd2 to play the style tracks) I was able to write the correct bank & program changes into the style itself.
The psr & sd2 combination for melody tracks, wasn't ideal.

Great to hear you've got a good combination going with the Sonic Cell & Tyros.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by keybplayer:
[B]I found the same to be true with my Sonic Cell and Tyros combo. I can layer the Tyros' R1, R2, R3, and Left voices with the Sonic Cells sounds of the same category (bank) in Performance Mode and of course choose specific sounds from other banks, whether GM, Preset, or SRX expansion cards if preferred. I can also turn off local control for R1 on the Tyros and play just the Sonic Cell sound in Patch Mode (part 1) and then layer R2, R3, and Left voices of the Tyros to create rich layered sounds combining both the Sonic Cell and Tyros' sounds together.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online