SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#222384 - 12/04/07 10:22 AM Re: Korg key size (width)?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Conventional size keys i.e. 165mm octave span keyboards are made specifically for pianists I agree. Probably Yammies reasoning for making their arrangers and synth action keyboards the narrower 160mm is they think most real "pianists" don't buy arrangers and/or synth action keyboards and hence no need for their arrangers and synth action workstations to have the wider keys that traditional pianists require and use.

But Korg and Roland have given consumers the option (the choice) of wider keys on their arrangers etc. which is comforting to know. I guess Korg and Roland realize that pianists play arrangers too and can have the best of both worlds wrapped up into one keyboard with Roland and Korg products if they so desire. It's not a perfect solution YET but it is a solution and one that works even if only imperfectly. Granted, weighted keys gives the pianist more control of expression through his or her playing but nevertheless it can be done on semi-weighted or synth action keys i.e. playing piano parts that is. Once you've played a real piano it is hard to go back to playing piano on synth or semi-weighted keys but why not give a person the wider conventional keys in case a pianist who is using an arranger or synth workstation wants to play an AC piano sound on it just in case? Roland and Korg have figured that out unlike Yammie unfortunately.

And yes I "survive" with my Tyros and PSR 2000 because I've grown accustomed to them over the years, not that I'm thrilled with the idea having to concentrate so hard to hit the white keys in such an exacting manner without the possibility of causing mistakes in the process mind you.

Best,
Mike

#222385 - 12/04/07 06:45 PM Re: Korg key size (width)?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Oh and I wanted to mention that there are other sounds from an Arranger or a synth action Workstation that could benefit from the wider conventional key width like EP Pianos and Strings. And when you get down to brass tacks any sound that you could use with a chord structure whether triad or other would be beneficial too in my opinion. So yes... wider can be "better" in the case of keyboards, where the wider conventional key size is ultimately better suited for Piano and other style playing that can really be a benefit because of the extra width.

There are many things in life that if it were not for being just a little bigger, wider, etc. could cause catastrophic consequences; so even though the key width betwixt the conventional size vs. the smaller universal size i.e. 165.1mm vs. 160mm is only a small overall difference per octave span, that difference is actually monumental in my opinion. And I think many a keyboardist would agree with that assessment. Although maybe not Gar...

Best,
Mike

PS: The reason I have tried to stick with Yamaha is because of their superb acoustical sounds and obviously not because of their smaller keybeds. That's why I have been trying all these years to urge Yammie to give their arrangers and synth workstations the wider conventional size keys so I can stick with their brand if at all possible.

Although it may not be possible to stick with them unfortunately. My request has so far fallen on deaf ears sad to say. And the future of them doing it looks pretty dim from what I can tell. I hope I'm wrong about that. Oh well.. life still goes on here in the big city - irregardless of what Yammie does or doesn't do regarding their arrangers, etc. We can all testify to that.

#222386 - 12/04/07 07:56 PM Re: Korg key size (width)?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Hey Mike, maybe others only play in C maj so only need white keys without having to fit fingers in between black ones

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online