SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#222364 - 12/01/07 11:17 AM Korg key size (width)?
tonkan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Anyone knows what width of the keys korg is using for PA-800 and PA2X?
I went to the music store but they had neigher of them. However there was a Korg PA-50. I measured the keys and they were of same width as Yamaha (electone, synt, arranger) keys, 160mm one octave and not the more common 165mm.

I already play both 160mm and 165mm so the width of key will only be important when I put two keyboards up on eachother. Then it would be very bad if the keys were not of same size.

#222365 - 12/01/07 11:31 AM Re: Korg key size (width)?
Dnj Offline

Pa800 each key is 14/16"

#222366 - 12/01/07 11:36 AM Re: Korg key size (width)?
Dnj Offline

or.....22.22500 millimeters each key

#222367 - 12/01/07 11:48 AM Re: Korg key size (width)?
tonkan Offline

Guess that ends up to ~165mm, one octave?

#222368 - 12/01/07 12:17 PM Re: Korg key size (width)?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
14/16" = 0.875" x 25.4mm (i.e. 1" = 25.4mm and converting inches to fractions first) x 7 (7 white keys an octave measuring C up to B) = 155.575 mm. an octave span.

0.875" x 25.4mm x 7 = 155.575 mm

Are you sure Donny that the Pa800 key has a 14/16 inch width? Can you get a more accurate measurement possibly? If you are correct on the 14/16" then the Pa800 keys are actually smaller in width than my PSR 2000 and/or Tyros key width, which both have a 160mm octave span.. Although, if the measurement is measured as a whole i.e. "from one end to the other" then the gap between the keys has to be taken in to consideration also. So depending on how much gap there is between the keys, and while measuring the distance as a whole (as oppossed to just the key width itself x 7 i.e. C to B) there would be some discrepancy in how the octave span is determined depending on how it is measured.

Best,
Mike

#222369 - 12/01/07 12:19 PM Re: Korg key size (width)?
Dnj Offline

Mike who knows? Im no math wizard, I just wanted to help....got my kids school ruler and measured it....its 2 lines less then an inch

#222370 - 12/01/07 03:05 PM Re: Korg key size (width)?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Most of the top manufacturers keys are nearly identical in width, however, the spacing between keys varies from 1 to 1.5-mm, which will ultimately have an impact on the octave width. The PSR-3000's octave width is 160-mm while the average key width is 22.5-mm.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#222371 - 12/01/07 04:25 PM Re: Korg key size (width)?
tonkan Offline

What are then the octave width for the korgs?

#222372 - 12/02/07 12:58 AM Re: Korg key size (width)?
keybplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tonkan:
What are then the octave width for the korgs?

The standard key size of a conventional keybed has a 6.5 inch octave span which translates into 165.1 millimeters. This is a size that was standardized over 150 years ago and has varied ever so slightly since then. Korg and Roland have made some of their arranger and synth action keyboards using this conventional standard. That is, with a 165.1 millimeter octave span.

Yamaha, on the other hand, has used what is called a universal keyboard size on their arrangers and on their synth action workstations i.e. the Motif ES7, etc. That standard generally produces a 160mm octave span after factoring in the gap between the keys over the distance of an octave. Yamaha does use the conventional standard i.e. (165mm octave span) on their Digital Pianos and on their 88 note Workstations i.e. the Motif ES8, etc. For whatever reason Yamaha chooses to relegate all their arrangers and synth action workstations to the slightly smaller universal standard.

If someone has large hands and fingers then of course the conventional standarized key width would be better suited for them. In theory a larger key width gives the pianist more freedom and room for expression with a lesser possibility of mistakes especially when performing difficult pieces. That is why I prefer the larger 165.1mm octave span keybed and have encouraged Yamaha over the years to start making their arrangers and synth action workstations with the larger conventional size keys like Korg and Roland have done and continue to do. And I for one don't have fat fingers but I still would prefer a true full size key width.

Could Mozart have gotten by on a 160mm octave span keybed? No doubt he could have and quite possibly did. I do all the time on my Tyros and PSR 2000, mistakes and all. But the question might be asked should Mozart have had to? Especially since the standard accepted by the Piano Manufacturers Association over 150 years ago was established and set at 165.1mm (6.5 inches) an octave span. Sometimes (a lot of times in fact) the old ways are still the best ways in my opinion.

So what I might once again urge Yamaha to do is go back to using the conventional standard on ALL of their keyboards including their arrangers, and not just on a selected few models.

I want to emphasize that this is my personal viewpoint and opinion. Yamaha, nevertheless, is apparently content it seems on continuing on with their course of action regardless of what we the consumer might think. That is their prerogative of course but at least they know (hopefully) that some people out there don't necessarily agree with every business decision they make, however few and far between those dissenters might in actuality be. I really think the majority, if not all, of their decisions are based on the companies financial bottom line instead of the people to whom they are trying to market their wares to. That is once again their choice, but in the end will it ultimately have been the best and wisest choice? Only time will tell. But if a companies top priority is something other than the people to whom they are trying to sell their product(s) to, then, eventually, it could lead from a pinnacle of success to a slippery, downhill slide.

Sorry for deviating slightly from the main topic but it does intertwine; although it was a bit wordy I must confess.

Best,
Mike

#222373 - 12/02/07 08:51 AM Re: Korg key size (width)?
keybplayer Offline

Good morning..

So Donny if you have a straight, short, flat metal or wood ruler it would be simple to measure an octave span on the Pa800. Place one end of the ruler at the lower end of, for example, the middle C key and measure it up to the outer edge of the B key and if it measures 6.5 inches then it would be considered an 165mm octave span keybed and therefore would indeed have the larger conventional standardized key width size. Larger than Yammies 160mm octave span that they have on their arrangers and synth action workstations in other words. And what I consider to be 'true' full size keys if indeed the Korg has an 165mm octave span keybed.

Best,
Mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online