Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#222308 - 12/01/07 06:21 AM OT selling on e-bay any advice
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA

#222309 - 12/01/07 06:44 AM Re: OT selling on e-bay any advice
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
IMO because you have no feedback and because of all the scams involving keyboards you're gonna have a tough time.
Did you sign up for paypal? Do you have a friend or relative that has an ebay acct with positive feedback.
Do you write a personal description of the item or just copy the Yamaha info? People who look already know the specs or can look them up on line you have to sell yourself as a first time seller.

Do you run actual pictures of the item?
I would put in a note that bidders may contact you by phone. I wouldn't include my number but if anyone is interested enough to email you give them the number you have to establish trust. That is also why I would write a little about yourself and why you're selling. I may try a little humor "I have two and the wife says me or one of the boards is leaving".

Look into an escrow service they hold the money until all parties are satisfied. I've never used one but by the time I got around to selling a big ticket item I already had a good feedback and track record.

I think the trust issue is you're biggest downfall thats a big item for a guy with no track record.
At least those are some of the things I look for when both buying and selling.

#222310 - 12/01/07 07:05 AM Re: OT selling on e-bay any advice
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
When ever I sell on eBay I always use my own pictures and my own description of the item I am selling.

Using or copying someone else's work is just not good business sense.

I have had times when people have actually copied my pictures and description , after I found that out , I started to use very unique HTML disruptions and encoded my pic`s so that they would be useless to anyone trying to pirate my work.

When ever you work on the web , you will always take a chance that plagiarism might happen.

As a writer , I strictly oppose any type of copying.

The best thing to do when selling on eBay is to take your time and write a proper and true description , and think about a good hook or tag that will make the customer want your product.

Always be truthful , never give false info , that is my practice and so far it has worked just fine.

I hope this info helps !!

Take care,
Gary 

#222311 - 12/01/07 10:42 AM Re: OT selling on e-bay any advice
Stephenm52 Offline

Mike and Jedi:

Great suggestions since I've never sold on e-bay I never gave much thought to the process you both suggest. The last 2 boards I sold were at Craigslist. Both sold in a matter of days at the price I was asking. One of those sales was 3 weeks ago (Roland G70). With those ads I just posted a stock photo of the keyboards was contacted a short time later met up with the buyers and sold for cash. Somehow I thought e-bay would work in similar fashion. But that's not the case. I understand your point about the trust issue with no selling track record.

I was contacted by someone who explained he watches for Tyros2 scams since there have been so many on e-bay. Back to the drawing board to change my approach. Thanks for the helpful comments.

#222312 - 12/01/07 10:49 AM Re: OT selling on e-bay any advice
Stephenm52 Offline

The next to last line in my previous post should have read:

I was contacted by someone who explained he watches for Tyros2 scams since there have been so many on e-bay. He then commented that although he felt I wasn't a scammer most people who viewed my ad at the asking price I quoted raised a flag that I was probably a scammer.

I'll also mention that one of the members of the forum here has been kind enough to offer to host my auction if I don't have any luck with my own. This is a great forum, lots of helpful advice Thanks!

#222313 - 12/01/07 11:01 AM Re: OT selling on e-bay any advice
Dnj Offline

#222314 - 12/01/07 03:04 PM Re: OT selling on e-bay any advice
Stephenm52 Offline

#222315 - 12/01/07 11:56 PM Re: OT selling on e-bay any advice
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
HI Steve

I didn't read all the posts, but I'd suggest that you mention in the ad that local pickup is ok, but will ship. This will make it look very appealing to those who might have doubts.

That plus, I know whenever I purchase something kind of major over ebay or a forum, I talk to them by phone. If they respond with a phone number, then they've passed half of the test. Then once you start talking you can pretty much tell if a person is ok or not.

In your case, you may want to mention something to the effect if anyone has questions, that you could exchange phone numbers, or something along those lines.

Scott

#222316 - 12/02/07 03:36 AM Re: OT selling on e-bay any advice
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
HI Steve

I didn't read all the posts, but I'd suggest that you mention in the ad that local pickup is ok, but will ship. This will make it look very appealing to those who might have doubts.

That plus, I know whenever I purchase something kind of major over ebay or a forum, I talk to them by phone. If they respond with a phone number, then they've passed half of the test. Then once you start talking you can pretty much tell if a person is ok or not.

In your case, you may want to mention something to the effect if anyone has questions, that you could exchange phone numbers, or something along those lines.

Scott

Scott thanks for the tips I will make that change saying local pick up available as well as making a phone number accessible to those who have questions.

#222317 - 12/02/07 05:05 AM Re: OT selling on e-bay any advice
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Call me Monday, I can post your Tyros on my Ebay store for you, I have 295 positive feedbacks

#222318 - 12/02/07 06:36 AM Re: OT selling on e-bay any advice
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
Call me Monday, I can post your Tyros on my Ebay store for you, I have 295 positive feedbacks

.... that's service !!! ...
t.

#222319 - 12/02/07 07:29 AM Re: OT selling on e-bay any advice
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
maybe you should up the price to what they've been selling for. Somebody else sold one for 2500 I think it was.

#222320 - 12/02/07 12:11 PM Re: OT selling on e-bay any advice
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:

Alright Frank, you be the man!! I'll give you a call.

Tony no doubt about it, that's service beyond the call of duty.

Mike, I think you hit the nail on the head I know I was a little low on the price. With the extras I put into it, it's certainly worth $2500.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online