SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#221906 - 11/23/07 10:05 AM Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Dnj Offline

I know you have that special present to yourself on your mind...we'd love to hear about it.
Believe it or not Im still looking for that perfect quality seat to use when I play, & possibly a small Sub to use with the Cm30s....& after I demo a few 3 Pc Pa units like the FBT AMICO series I might switch......how about you?
http://www.fbtusa.net/a1000_a900-a500-a400-a100.html

#221907 - 11/23/07 10:36 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Since I already swapped out my keyboard set-up twice in 6 months for others and have 2 new CM-30's, I'm not looking for much else. But, I might be interested in a small Behringer or Tapco mixer. And maybe some new tripod mic stands. Oh, I almost forgot a Quik-Lok QL642 double keyboard stand. And did I mention a USB turntable.

#221908 - 11/23/07 10:45 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
A younger , energetic woman............to carry my G70..

#221909 - 11/23/07 12:13 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
I just purchased a Rolls MX 122 mixer & a set of Shure earbuds. Now I can leave my old mixer /monitor system (Genz Benz Shenandoah & Mackie DFX-6 mixer ) set up at home. Also got a Rock-N-Roller R 8 cart – now its one trip hauling for each outing-just great!

#221910 - 11/23/07 12:19 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

Just wondering if I could do the interviewing
TR

#221911 - 11/23/07 01:15 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Gord:
I just purchased a Rolls MX 122 mixer & a set of Shure earbuds. Now I can leave my old mixer /monitor system (Genz Benz Shenandoah & Mackie DFX-6 mixer ) set up at home. Also got a Rock-N-Roller R 8 cart – now its one trip hauling for each outing-just great!

Hi Gord......great stuff...I use the Rolls Stereo Mini Mix VI MX28 they make super gear...I also have the Mackie DFX6 awesome Mixer w/EFX & Rock-n-Roller R10 using it for years its the best...no musician should gig out without one.
Thanx for the post.

#221912 - 11/23/07 01:16 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Dnj Offline

Quote:

Stop Dreaming!!

#221913 - 11/23/07 09:48 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Gosh Fran,
would you really want a female version of Arnie Shwarzenegger? (eek)
Even if she didn't start out with muscles, I would imagine she'd develop some after regularly lugging around a 76 note keyboard & case. haahaa.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#221914 - 11/23/07 10:53 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
as for buying something for myself for christmas...? not much, i just bought a new audiocard, so the bag is closed for me until next year!
...because my young and energetic woman is also my wife!

#221915 - 11/24/07 10:01 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Already bought it.

Guitar Center had a 20% off sale from 8-10 AM "Black Friday"

I got a Quik-Loc M91 stand for $79. In and out in 15 minutes. I'm done shopping.

My wife does the rest and usually has it done by now.

Regards,

Jerry

#221916 - 11/24/07 11:47 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Within the space of one week our Electric Dryer, Dishwasher and Water Heater all went out.
The next week our Central Air/Heat went out.
We will have an "all-appliance" Christmas!
Only thing on my list is Squawker McCaw. http://squawkersmccaw.com/
At last I'll have a duo partner! I have big plans for him.
DonM

#221917 - 11/24/07 11:48 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Cases for a GW-7 and SH-201, an additional keyboard stand and bench and a new melodica.

Ho, Ho!

R.

#221918 - 11/24/07 02:28 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Cases for a GW-7 and SH-201, an additional keyboard stand and bench and a new melodica.

Ho, Ho!R.

You got mail!

#221919 - 11/24/07 04:25 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
got it already, a PA800 with an Mp3 board.

#221920 - 11/24/07 04:56 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
N9FAL Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Well I guess for me Xmas blessings took place throught the year:

PA800 in August
2 CM-30s about a month ago, and..
an MPP earlier this week

Thanks to Steve for your help on the MPP, A Great Guy helping me with the learning curve.

Mark-Orlando, Fl

#221921 - 11/24/07 08:03 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Mark
Quite a coincidence. I bought a PA800 in October, 2 CM30's 2 weeks ago, and have had an MPP for a couple of years.

The MPP beats having music spread out in front of you, eh?

Bernie

#221922 - 11/25/07 03:02 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
N9FAL Offline

Bernie,
Yes it does.
I'm not the must computer savy person, but I have been able to get already 200-300 tunes in it via CD/PDF. This is the way to go for us "Readers".

Now to learn to scan and convert.

Mark

#221923 - 11/25/07 10:46 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Okay, okay... these may not be considered this years Christmas gifts as such but I did get them this year. They are: the new Roland Sonic Cell PRO which I purchased in September and the Sony MDR-7509HD Professional Studio Headphones I purchased back in May. By the way, the Sony MDR-7509HD headphones garnered the 2007 Editor's Choice award from Electronic Musician Magazine. I thought my Sennheiser HD280 PRO headphones were good but the Sony's are far superior in my opinion. If you're in the market for some outstanding cans then you might want to check out the Sony MDR-7509HD Professional Studio Headphones. The Bass response is probably much better than you've ever experienced before as far as headphones are concerned. They blew me away that's for sure.

As far as PRO arranger keyboards are concerned the Pa2xPRO has not yet been released in the U.S. and most likely it won't be before Christmas. And there isn't anything else new on the market arranger wise when it comes to 76/88 keys.

I do think that I would like to get another 88 key Controller keyboard and maybe for Christmas. Although I am a little hesitant because I would first like to see what winter NAMM 2008 has to offer in the way of Controllers. I'm hoping Roland (Edirol) will come out with a 76/88 key PCR-series controller keyboard to hook up with my Sonic Cell PRO. I know CME has the VX-76/88 controllers but I've heard a lot of people are having problems with them. And since the Sonic Cell is a Roland product I would like to stick with a Roland controller if at all possible.

A Merry Christmas to all and happy holiday,

Mike

#221924 - 11/25/07 10:50 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by N9FAL:
Well

Thanks to Steve for your help on the MPP, A Great Guy helping me with the learning curve.

Mark-Orlando, Fl

Your welcome Mark, glad to be of help. It's not all that complicated, but getting a few tips cuts the learning curve dramatically. Enjoy it.

Bernie, I've had my MPP for 2 years and I wouldn't be without it. As for the PA800, it's an amazing board.

#221925 - 11/28/07 06:35 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Check out page 28 of the latest KEYBOARD magazine and see what they have to say about the Nord C1 (you know, the one Donny wouldn't take even if it were free). Naturally, I agree with every word and fall more in love with it every day. If you'd like the closest thing ever to a B3 in a 34lb package and have some extra bucks laying around, it'll make a heck of a xmas present to oneself.

Next best thing; Nord Electro (Nord Stage, if you can afford it).

Superb quality without the weight (for all you wimps out there ).

chas

#221926 - 11/28/07 07:42 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Bernie9 Online   content

Hi Stephen
The only thing lacking was the dual MP3 player/recorder for my PA800. It will be here in a few days. It is an amazing machine.

Mark
I brought my MPP to the Technics Jam in Central Florida when Scott Yee flew in a couple of years ago. There was a young man from Orlando named Mark there, and we discussed the MPP. I am wondering if that was you.
Bernie

#221927 - 11/28/07 11:06 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Fran Carango Offline

Chas, the biggest downer for me is the lack of drawbars..If you are trying to imitate a B3 ..they should have added another $200 and gave us drawbars..."real ones"...

At 34 pounds..I would have liked another pound for drawbars...
Personally I still think Native Instruments B4[original version}..is the best copy cat(weighs in at 6 pounds.(laptop).........not counting my 45 pound controller..

The unit we tried at Guitar Center , was the Nord 61[used]...and it wasn't worth righting home about..not bad , just not great...

I always thought the Roland VR760 was the best piano/organ board about 32 pounds...and drawbars..Also 76 waterfall keys that felt perfect..

#221928 - 11/28/07 11:18 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?

Chas, I used my new Electro for the first time this week-end. It's a keeper. Well worth the $1350.00. I'll decide about the C-1 after the first of the year, but this little thing is a great way to get acceptable B and Rhodes sounds.

Thanks for the heads up!

R.

#221929 - 11/28/07 12:40 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Dnj Offline

I would have to say the Lack of Real Draw-bars is what turned me off on the Nord ....actually the sound was pretty acceptable....but without the Db's its more difficult to sculpture & navigate your sound IMO.

#221930 - 11/28/07 12:51 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?

Donny, I'd say you're right if the purpose was use as a stand alone. I had the Nord on my right hand this week-end for slow-rotor chords and Rhodes lead lines. For that use it was fine. Didn't have enough time to play with the drawbar issue.

I like it!

Russ

#221931 - 11/28/07 12:54 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Dnj Offline

Good points Russ....I was talking as a stand alone, but I can see your uses could be sufficient in that situation ....who knows maybe they'll add them in future models if players keep requesting them?

#221932 - 11/28/07 01:38 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
cgiles Offline

Donny and Fran, if I had my "druthers", I, too, would opt for drawbars. Most guys (and girls) used to a B3 would. However, I have not found this to be a big problem, and for this reason: I play mostly jazz organ; Jimmy Smith/Jack McDuff/Groove Holmes/Jimmy McGriff/Lonnie Smith/Johhny "Hammond" Smith/Don Patterson/Charlie Earland (a good friend of mine before he died way too young) type jazz organ. Oh yeah, and Tony Monaco and of course, Joey D. BTW, I never was a fan of Barbara Dinerlien; great technician, great left foot, not much soul. In fact (forgive me Rikki), I've never heard a female JAZZ organist that I did like, and that includes pioneers like Shirley Scott and Dee Dee Sharp. Maybe it's just a man's instrument (how sexist is that?).

But the point of all this (the drawbars) is that most jazz organist use a signature solo sound and maybe 3 or four other registrations (forget what some of these non-organist have said in past posts; I know what I'm talking about. That being the case, as many as nine registrations can be acessed with one or two button pushes (a preset covers both manuals and the pedals) giving you 18 custommized voicings between the two manuals plus 9 pedal settings, if needed. Plus, modifying a registration on-the-fly is dead simple once you learn where all the buttons are.

Given all the plusses, the lack of physical drawbars is a minor distraction (which will go away, by the way, once you become thoroughly familiar with the board). A larger problem for those who need it, is that you need to go into a menu to transpose (no dedicated button). Of course, the original offered no transposition at all, you just had to learn to play in every key (or have the singer sing every tune in C, regardless of his or her range ).

Now if only they would make an inexpensive pedalboard. Oh well.

chas

BTW, love that red color; just don't play at any bullfights.

#221933 - 11/28/07 02:57 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The problem with using drawbars for an organ that has electronic presets is that the drawbar display (what you are seeing on the drawbars themselves) does not reflect the actual setting (of course, the same on a B3), but when you go to modify the preset (which you can't, on a B3, but of course will if you can!), real drawbars will be in the wrong position, and will make timbral 'jumps' rather than smooth movements. In fact, only motorized drawbars will ever reflect the presets actual state...

But all this is moot... I can't believe, after listening to the constant whining about the odd few pounds one arranger weighs over another, that you are actually dissing the 34 lb. C1 in favor of a B3 clone with drawbars. What is the weight of the LIGHTEST two manual Hammond clone with drawbars? Got to be a good sixty pounds more than the C1...

Many of you are content with small, toy-like, utterly horrible actions on your arrangers to save maybe ten or fifteen pounds. And yet here is quite possibly the ONLY full B3 clone under 80 lbs. Considerably UNDER 80 lb., at that.

Me, I would be ecstatic to get two full, waterfall keyboards at that weight, and after spending some time with an Electro2, I can tell you that dealing with the buttons is NOWHERE as difficult as you guys make out. You can still grab a handful at the same time, or just nudge one imperceptibly. Yes, it's harder to 'flick' one in instantly (takes over one second to go from full out to in), but other than that, it's pretty much the same time to modify registrations.

But any drawbar shortcomings are completely overwhelmed by, firstly IT HAS TWO MANUALS...! And, it is UNDER 35 lb....!

AFAIK, nothing with two manuals comes anywhere near that weight. And that is, from all I've read here, the overwhelming priority for most of you. You want the ultimate B3 clone? Hammond/Suzuki New B3... No doubt about it. It will fool most anybody. Then lift it's 290 lb.

Me, I'm prepared to forego real drawbars (that never reflect the actual state of the presets) over 290 lb. of perfection, any day! Oh, and don't forget the $24k price tag...!

#221934 - 11/28/07 03:21 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
The problem with using drawbars for an organ that has electronic presets is that the drawbar display (what you are seeing on the drawbars themselves) does not reflect the actual setting (of course, the same on a B3), but when you go to modify the preset (which you can't, on a B3, but of course will if you can!), real drawbars will be in the wrong position, and will make timbral 'jumps' rather than smooth movements....!

Diki, I agree with the rest of your post but don't quite understand the above. MY C1 displays the EXACT, CORRECT, position of all the drawbars in either of the two "live" modes or any of the 120 presets. When you modify a drawbar setting, you will be starting from the real setting. There is never a time when the drawbars display anything other than their true position. I can't speak for the other Nord's that have electronic drawbars, but that's how the C1 works. Just a minor correction; doesn't change the validity of the rest of your post.

chas

#221935 - 11/28/07 03:24 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Another idea for the Festive Season
A New Hammond clone has been released with Real Drawbars, and just like the Suzuki B3 and Native Instruments B4, uses sound modelling rather then samples.
It’s called the Key B Duo http://www.musicworldonline.co.uk/

Bill

#221936 - 11/28/07 03:48 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Diki Offline

chas, I was referring to clones that DO use drawbars (what everyone was bitching about!). I know about the LEDs on Nord's, and consider them an advantage over other clones. Yes, XK-1 and Korg clones have a digital display, but it is quite small, and hard to see, The Nord LED's can't be missed!

Having an easily readable preset display allows you to lay into a new sound with confidence it is the right preset, rather than squinting at a tiny LCD to see what registration you have called up, IMO...

I am trying hard to get our studio owner to buy one of these. We have a Korg CX3 (new type), and it is OK, but the C1 is just SO much better....

#221937 - 11/29/07 03:07 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
N9FAL Offline

Mark
I brought my MPP to the Technics Jam in Central Florida when Scott Yee flew in a couple of years ago. There was a young man from Orlando named Mark there, and we discussed the MPP. I am wondering if that was you.
Bernie

Yes Bernie, That was me.

That was a great event in April, 2005.

Mark

#221938 - 11/29/07 03:14 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
I think maybe like a few of the other members I received my Xmas present early this year in the form of a Korg PA800.
I'm hoping to maybe get the mp3 board if it's available here. Have to do some checking.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#221939 - 11/29/07 04:19 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The PSR-S900 was my little gift to me, and I'm planning on a set of speakers for my laptop as well.

Ian

#221940 - 11/29/07 09:41 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I'm planning on a set of speakers for my laptop as well.
Ian

get Two CM30's

#221941 - 11/29/07 11:06 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
Just finished a Jazz Performance and Improvisation college course and statring to play a lot more jazz venues so my gift to myself this year is a Kurzweil SP76 piano
http://www.soundtech.co.uk/kurzweil/sp76

Looked around at a few light weight models...this one caught my attention...we'll see how it lives up to http://www.soundtech.co.uk/kurzweil's reputation.

Noel J

#221942 - 11/30/07 03:06 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Bernie9 Online   content

I had an early Christmas,also. I bought my PA800,which I dearly love, and two CM-30's.
I just received my MP3 card, which is great. I now can record my total performances,including vocal, as well as importing music, all in my Songbook. Thanks to Donny for getting me going.
Bernie

#221943 - 11/30/07 05:22 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
get Two CM30's

Great suggestion, Donny..two CM30's would be cool, but would take up too much space as well as be a bit too expensive.

I'm going with a simple 2.1 setup...probably Logitech X-230 Speakers.

If I want lots of oomph, I could always hook up the laptop to my Yamaha MS60 powered monitors....yeehaw!

#221944 - 11/30/07 08:44 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
keybplayer Offline

Originally posted by Fran Carango: "the biggest downer for me is the lack of drawbars..If you are trying to imitate a B3 ..they should have added another $200 and gave us drawbars..."real ones"..."

If you want physical Drawbars how about the Hammond XK-3c? You get two 9 (Upper and Lower) plus 2-Pedal for the price of one. Not a dual manual of course but your physical Drawbar needs will have been met.

It is also 2.2 lbs less in weight then its predecessor. It also has an improved Leslie rotary effect and MIDI implementation for controller keyboard use.

KEYBOARD 73 (61+12 Preset Keys)
Water-fall Keys with Velocity
DRAWBARS 3 sets of Drawbars, 9-Upper, 9-Lower, 2-Pedal
SOUND GENERATOR Vase III sound generator creates 96 digital Tone-wheels™.
Tone-wheel™ leakage-noise and motor-noise are adjustable wheel by wheel.
PRESETS Original B-3 reverse-colour preset-keys
11 Presets x 12 Banks + Cancel
POLYPHONY Full polyphony (unlimited)
LESLIE© Advanced digital Leslie© and scanner vibrato
PREAMP & OVERDRIVE New dual tube amp for pre-amplification and Leslie© overdrive
REVERB 10-Modes, Leslie reverb
TONE CONTROL Bass, Mid range, Treble, B-3 Tone Control
SUSTAIN Pedal Drawbars
WHEEL Pitch Bend, Modulation
PANEL CONTROLS LESLIE©: Slow/fast, on/off, break/thru, effect, send/return

Vibrato/Chorus: Upper ON, Lower ON, V1, V2, V3, C1, C2, C3 with 6 position rotary knob, Tremolo, emphasis and depth can be adjusted

Percussion: Second, third, decay fast, soft

Control: Reverb, Manual bass, Split, User (pedal sustain), Demo

Assignable controller for MIDI instrument: Upper 1,2,3, Lower 1,2, Pedal, on/off, Value knobs

Effect: Tube amp, Tone type, reverb on

Display switch: Page up/down, parameter value +/-, rotary-encoder, Menu/exit, play, rec, bank

Volume control: Master volume, tone control, tube overdrive
DISPLAY 20-Character, 2-Line back-light LCD
TERMINAL

AC-input, Line out L/R, 11-Pin Leslie©, Effect send, Return/Line in, Midi IN1/IN2/OUT/THRU (Addition of lower keyboard and/or pedal possible via midi), Headphone, Foot-switch/Leslie©-switch, Expression pedal (EXP-100F with Leslie©-switch).
CARD SLOT CompactFlash™ Card slot
POWER SUPPLY 230V (CE), 240V (BS)
DIMENSIONS 119cm(W) x 40cm (D) x 12cm (H)
WEIGHT/FINISH 18,5Kg / Walnut finish

PS: It's suppose to be at online retail stores around the middle of December.

Best,
Mike

#221945 - 11/30/07 08:48 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
keybplayer Offline

Oops! I didn't think the pic would be so big. I can't edit my post so if you read this Nigel could you delete the pic (not the post though ) and I will get a smaller pic to re-post if necessary.

Best,
Mike

#221946 - 11/30/07 09:35 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Dnj Offline

Isn't that the Hammond Cassp just bought?

#221947 - 11/30/07 09:41 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
ianmcnll Offline

I believe Cassp bought an XK1, which, in my opinion, is the better deal...same Leslie sim as the XK3c.

#221948 - 11/30/07 09:49 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
ianmcnll Offline

The XK1 is also 10 lbs lighter than the XK3c...30 vs 40.

#221949 - 11/30/07 10:27 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Dnj Offline

How does the Pa880 & S900/T2 etc compare to one of these Portable Hammond Models regarding Draw-bar Organ?....I haven't indulged them to much yet on mine, haven't had time, but I really enjoy the preset Pa800 organs so far....this might be a really good comparison to A/B arranger Organs like we did with the Pianos a few months ago! Anyone up for it?

#221950 - 11/30/07 11:57 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Diki Offline

According to the Keyboard review (it's here somewhere - use 'search') the cheaper XK-1 has a better Leslie sim than the XK-3...

Still doesn't deal with the loss of the lower manual, though. For those of you dismissing the C1 because it has no drawbars and you are looking for authenticity, well the loss of a complete lower manual strikes me as a MUCH greater blow to authenticity than the lack of drawbars...

And what does the XK3, plus the lower manual and all the associated hardware to build it into their 2 manual B3 clone weigh? A LOT more than any of you are going to be willing to move, I guarantee (and a LOT more than you are willing to spend!)...

#221951 - 11/30/07 12:21 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
ianmcnll Offline

The XK3c has the upgraded Leslie sim....same as the one in the XK1.

#221952 - 11/30/07 01:54 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Diki Offline

Good catch, Ian... Hadn't seen that announcement yet.

Mind you, the XK-3c is 18 kg. for ONE manual (the XK-1 is just 15).

The C1, all glorious two manuals is only 15 kg.!

How about THAT, all you PSR lovers!

#221953 - 11/30/07 01:58 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
cgiles Offline

Diki, save your breath. "There is none so blind as he that WILL not see". Take a keyboard that has gotten nothing but rave reviews (by professional organist, BTW, not "forum heroes" whose organ skills are probably marginal, at best), weighs a mere 34lbs, has dual manuals, has EVERY (B3) feature of all the other TOTL clonewheels, including the new Hammond B, costs less than a third of the cheapest dual-manual Hammond, has probably the best Vox and Farfisa simulations (if that turns you on), and one thing that all the other clonewheels seem to fall short on; that is, the full power, volume, and grit of a real B3 in the upper octaves (this is very important to me as I like to hear it "scream" at the top of it's range).

I'm sure that if the C1 had been purchased by one of our "leading lights", it would have been touted, through a flood of posts, as the greatest thing since, well...since the PA800. "A virtual shoo-in for keyboard of the year". "Why, hell, Hammond may as well close up shop and go home". This would then be followed by a mad dash (by the troops) to run out and buy one (or at least put it high up on the wish list). But wait, what??????, what the.......you mean "leading light" just dumped HIS? Oh darn, now I'm gonna have to sit around and wait for his next divine pronouncement. Maybe another PSR3000. You think?

chas

BTW, the C1 will play neither MP3s or SMFs.

#221954 - 11/30/07 02:02 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
ianmcnll Offline

I think the C1 is pretty cool...the look is "right", the sound is spot on, and having the combo organ sounds is a real plus.

If I ever band gigged again, it sure would be a cool rig to have...those close together keyboards could let you do all kinds of Hammond tricks.

A good digital piano along side of it would make it the ultimate setup.

Ian

#221955 - 11/30/07 03:24 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Fran Carango Offline

Now tell the truth.....how many of us..after playing a "real B3", for a few hours, say wow that was fun , but I had enough!!!..sorta like eating chocolate cake..it hit the spot in the beginning, but grew tired of it...

Also, Diki, I really think most would rather have draw bars ..over the added second manual...I know I would...even though the second level is nice..

#221956 - 11/30/07 03:28 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Fran Carango Offline

SZ "pros" recommend.........

#221957 - 11/30/07 03:32 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Now tell the truth.....how many of us..after playing a "real B3", for a few hours, say wow that was fun ..

Let's see. Joey D, Tony Monaco, Barbara D, Eddie Landsberg, and probably every other "real" organ player out there.

chas

#221958 - 11/30/07 03:47 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Fran Carango Offline

Chas, along the same lines...most of us can't listen to more than 3 hours of the organ greats...

#221959 - 11/30/07 03:52 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Dnj Offline

Well for now I dont see....
Joey D, Tony Monaco, Barbara D, Eddie Landsberg, and probably every other "real" organ player out there, playing a C1 so there must be a reason...could it be Drawbars, or? Who knows, Maybe Nord will incorporate them in the future in some of their models.....meanwhile if someone likes playing Nord units kudos to them if it makes them happy. There are no rules, just opinions.

#221960 - 11/30/07 04:03 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Let's see. Joey D, Tony Monaco, Barbara D, Eddie Landsberg, and probably every other "real" organ player out there.

chas

and...Matthew Fisher, Booker T, Al Kooper, Benmont Tench, Doug Riley, Keith Emerson, Rick Wright, Tony Banks, Rick Wakeman, Jon Lord...

#221961 - 11/30/07 04:22 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
cgiles Offline

Fran, I'm not trying to escalate this little discussion. I just don't think "fun factor" or listening endurance has anything to do with evaluating a legitimate musical instrument. I would also question the legitimacy of any opinion by anyone other than a bona fide organ player. Playing the organ and playing a few organ licks on a muti-purpose synth are two different things. There isn't an organ player alive that would be satisfied with one manual. If you say different, you are 1. not an organ player, and 2. not qualified to speak for one.

I'm not pushing the C1 or any other keyboard, but sometimes I just get fed up with listening to guys spewing a bunch of crap under the guise of "expertise". If the organ is not going to be your primary instrument, then you probably don't need a stand-alone, dual-manual, organ of any type. A good quality synth (or arranger) with good organ voices would probably be a much better choice. Since this is an arranger forum, it's makes sense that few on this board are using the organ as a primary KB (me and Russ MAY be the only ones).

BTW, the C1 makes a really lousy controller for reasons I'd be happy to share with anyone contemplating buying one and using it for that purpose. I bought a SonicCell for exactly that purpose but it just ain't happening. I'll keep it just to have a few Roland sounds in the studio but...... I usually tell folks to "try before you buy". I shoulda' followed my own advice. Oh yeah, we (Eagle fans are for life) almost upset those darn Patriots, damn, damn, damn. Next time.

chas

Oh yeah......

#221962 - 11/30/07 04:50 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Well for now I dont see....
Joey D, Tony Monaco, Barbara D, Eddie Landsberg, and probably every other "real" organ player out there, playing a C1 so there must be a reason....

Well Donny, the post you're referencing doesn't say anything about a C1, just organs or organ music in general. But I'm glad you were able to spin it in such a way as to get in a C1 dig. BTW, Eddie DOES play a C1 (and loves it). Most of the top tier players play a "real" B3, because they can afford to. Those who have to move their own and would have to shell out a month's salary to keep one maintained, prefer something less uh, demanding. But hey, keep sniping away; you may have noticed that nearly everyone without an exterior motive thinks that it is a great instrument and a great value. Of course, I can see how the absense of MP3 board might diminish it in your view.

Oh, BTW. The Hammonds only have midi out while the C1 has midi in and out, so if you've got some nice organ SMF's, you may have no choice but to get a C1.....even if I also own one.

Your buddy,

chas

whoops......

#221963 - 12/01/07 07:35 AM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?
Fran Carango Offline

Chas, you missed my point...I am not knocking the Hammond or any organ....In fact I know the B3 is the best [to me]..As you may already know..I started out selling and demo..the Hammond in the mid 60's..

My point can be summed up as a need to be more diversified...as an arranger does..

I like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Brenda Lee [shh], Jimmy Smith, Herbie Hancock....but after 3 hours I also am tired of listening to any single artist....likewise , just a B3....

#221964 - 12/03/07 02:12 PM Re: Whats are buying YOURSELF Musicaly for Christmas this Year?

I guess this is an issue involving whether we're talking generalists or specialists. I can see that arranger players might feel limited by the capacities of a C-1, B-3...whatever. But, there are those who don't like Frank, Dean or Brenda, but think Jimmy and others are "killers". The preferences also involve, again, the difference between musicians and entertainers. Purists wouldn't want Jack McDuff playing an arranger, and would listen to him do what he does forever.

People wanting to be entertained would tire easily listening to B-3 only, no matter who played it. Add jazz elitists on one end and people who are mostly interested in the show/entertainment factor to the mix to further confuse the issue.

Different strokes, I guess.

Regards,

Russ

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online