SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#221341 - 02/15/06 11:12 AM Does such a product exist?
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
I've been googleing and googleing on an endless search, but I can't seem to find anything that does what I want, maybe you guys know of something.
I want something that plays rhythms and bass lines, but it should be able to change the pitch / chord for the bass lines through midi, and have the ability to add fills, all of this should be easilly accessible live! The RD700SX is closest thing I've seen that can do this, but I was wondering if there was anything less expensive, either a box (rhythm box maybe), module, or maybe software, that could do this same job. It is for live piano playing, so that I can add bass and drums, without having to use pre-sequenced songs, or an extra arranger keyboard on the side.

Anyone?

Doc-Z

#221342 - 02/15/06 11:35 AM Re: Does such a product exist?
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA

Band-in-a-Box can give you the fills and variations you want, but you cannot enter the chords is real time. Even if this is not exactly what you asked for, it is still a program that every musician needs. Lots of pros use it fpr ive shows. Go to their website and check out the demo.

#221343 - 02/15/06 11:47 AM Re: Does such a product exist?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
hi doc, you could try jamstix, which actaully plays the drum patterns according to how you play, very laid back and quiet when you are, and busy and dynamic when you are...they are also about to release Jambass, which does the same thing , except with bass lines. the site is www.rayzoon.com
BTW thought i should add this is software as you did mention a software solution as well as a hardware one

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 02-15-2006).]

#221344 - 02/15/06 01:34 PM Re: Does such a product exist?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
ketron modules?

#221345 - 02/15/06 01:48 PM Re: Does such a product exist?
MrEd Offline

Like Theodore, the first thing that comes to mind is the Ketron midi modules, x3, x4, midij, etc.

You mentioned "less expensive". Don't know what you want to spend but a used Ketron module may be in your budget.

I have not used one myself, but have seen them used where the rhythms and bass/chords are controlled (or changed) by a midi accordion or midi keyboard.

If you are planning to control via the piano, your piano must be midi, right? and have a split so that a midi channel is controlling the bass/rhythm?

You can always get a set of midi foot pedals, and control the rhythm/bass with the tootsies.
That would be an aerobic workout for a Jazz/Blues/Jump-Jive player at my age!

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 02-15-2006).]

#221346 - 02/15/06 02:46 PM Re: Does such a product exist?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
There is also an older but still available Yamaha QY100, which is similar to mid-line PSR keyboards, but in a module format, and with fewer buttons. Getting to the fills may be a problem. They are very compact, and under $500.

If I recall correctly, Scott Yee used to have one of these. Perhaps he can comment.

#221347 - 02/15/06 10:46 PM Re: Does such a product exist?
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex K:
There is also an older but still available Yamaha QY100.

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/synth/QY100E2.pdf

Here is the link for info on QY100

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#221348 - 02/15/06 11:27 PM Re: Does such a product exist?
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
wov thanks! a lot of good info here!

That Jamstix / Jambass thing looks exactly what I'm looking for, but I need to figure out how to get my laptop to a gig, without having to protect it from raving drunks

Those modules you talk of from Ketron, do they have this ability? I thought they were just sound modules? And that yammie I thought was just a sequencer.. I need to check that out.

Thanks again!

Doc-Z

#221349 - 02/16/06 05:06 AM Re: Does such a product exist?
Clif Anderson Offline

It can be hard to tell what a QY100 does from the ads. I suggest you download the manual, which has a chord chart and discusses factory and user styles. I have the earlier QY70 and have used it as an arranger. But I would think the Midjay is your best bet.

#221350 - 02/16/06 08:09 AM Re: Does such a product exist?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
hi doc, you gotta watch those punters!!! seriously though i have jamstix, and i have a Midjay+S90es combo..and for playing live, the midjay wins easily, simply for ease of use and variety of functions..but its also a lot more expensive (hardware-v-software)...i tend to use jamstix (as i will use jambass) more in the studio when writing stuff, ...if you were using it at a gig and you had an axeman and a heavy axeman you could do some damage i reckon...anyway hope that helps

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online