SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 8 9 10
Topic Options
#219394 - 05/14/07 03:35 AM Re: I ordered the ROLAND E - 80 yesterday
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Donny good luck with what ever u choose to do mate we are only takin the micky out of u

but please pleeeaassseee post some demos!

#219395 - 05/14/07 04:07 AM Re: I ordered the ROLAND E - 80 yesterday
Dnj Offline

If & when I get an E80 I will surly post some demos for sure for ya M8.....
hang in there!

#219396 - 05/14/07 04:31 AM Re: I ordered the ROLAND E - 80 yesterday
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Well, obviously at the moment Roland (and most of the majors) are developing styles for their existing customers. It's easy to see a bias towards, firstly, 'older' styles mostly usable by senior citizens, or players playing FOR senior citizens, and secondly, styles aimed squarely at European players, beer-hall and schlager, and european flavored 'pop' styles.

If arranger manufacturers want to get serious about the US market, they are going to have to make the styles FIRST, and then the sales will come. It's not going to happen the other way around, for sure....

As I've said many times, if arrangers (in the US, at least) had styles developed by the same teams that voice the arp patterns for workstations, you wouldn't be able to keep them in stock! Manipulating a style is FAR easier than trying to string a bunch of patterns together on the fly.

I tried a MotifXS recently, and while the patterns were to die for, hip, contemporary, VERY 'USA", it was a nightmare to try and trigger the patterns and fill patterns while I was still playing other parts...! An arranger is a FAR better tool for manipulating patterns, but until the majors stop giving ALL the good, contemporary patterns to the workstation line, and stop leaving the arrangers with mostly schlock and old folks home styles, this type of keyboard will never increase it's market (and slowly die out due to attrition!).

Diki, of course you're right (and a very good analysis of the arranger situation in the US, BTW), however it appears to be a vicious cycle; the smaller production creates artificially high prices which (for the most part) only older players can comfortably afford thus defining the market.

I haven't had a Roland arranger since the G1000 so can't comment on their newest TOTL arrangers but (in my mind) only Korg comes close to producing the kind of styles you're referring to (and sadly, not enough of them).

One thing we totally agree on; the styles must come first. No matter what some members say about things like sounds, navigation, harmonizers, etc., etc., in the end it's the STYLES that count most in buying decisions. There is a reason that you'll likely never (well, hardly ever) see a Ketron in the hands of a YOUNG, U.S., arranger player. For THAT market, the styles suck bigtime.

There is no reason that an arranger keyboard can't retain all of it's current (crappy) styles and just add the styles that would make it more acceptable to US markets. There's no law that says you have to play Schlager just because it's included in the style banks. Just bury it in submenus so that a young hiphop artist won't accidently stumble across it and go screaming out of the store. Come to think of it, a super-duper killer-style-producing company catering to all the major brands would be the most practical solution to the problem. We all know that such a company doesn't exist.

chas

#219397 - 05/14/07 07:59 AM Re: I ordered the ROLAND E - 80 yesterday
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
well, after all these posts I feel like I am a little confused here.
I have had many keyboards since the first one I bought back in the early 70's.
back then what you bought was what you played.
that is no longer true. I have maybe a thousand styles that I am playing in the Tyros 2 that are the resident styles and home brew styles from every keyboard you can name. I might add that most of them sound better then the Tyros 2 resident styles. The difference then comes down to what and how the newer keyboard will do that theolder ones won't do. I have 8 keyboards still here in the studio after selling three technics and none will do what the new E 80 does. So I bought it. It probably isn't going to sound any different that what I have been playing in the Tyros 2 using the G 70 styles for the last few months. so..................?
Bebop

#219398 - 05/14/07 10:20 AM Re: I ordered the ROLAND E - 80 yesterday
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
BeBop, those styles [G70 conversions] you have been playing on the Tyros2 are going to sound dramatically better on your E80...

I love the G70 styles I am using on my G1000..they are pretty much the only styles I use now...But make no mistake, the same styles played on an E80/G70.....are superb..

I have been listening and playing all the top arrangers the last couple months, and to my ears nothing tops the G70 and E80...I am not saying bad things[they are all good] about the Genesys, SD1, Tyros2, and PA1x.....but I have made my choice ..what would be best for me...

Now if I can borrow a few bucks off of DNJ...

#219399 - 05/14/07 11:24 AM Re: I ordered the ROLAND E - 80 yesterday
BEBOP Offline

YO Fran,
I have also been playing the converted G 1000 files on the Tyros 2 and they really sound good even yet.
I hope you get the E 80 really soon as I know you would be alot of help to us developing our new learning curve, for those of us that have never been in the Roland Camp.
I would be happy to finance your E 80 purchase but I would want a deed to your house cause I know how flakey you Musicians are
Bebop

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 05-15-2007).]

#219400 - 05/16/07 06:44 AM Re: I ordered the ROLAND E - 80 yesterday
BEBOP Offline

I am seeing and hearing about more people ordering the E 80. I think it is going to be BIG.
My friend Alex traded his E 50 for an E 80 and that sez a lot to me because his experience goes back as far as mine does.
I hope to hear from many more of you that are getting the E 50, 60, or 80 and have or getting the G 70. come and post in the Roland Arranger Forum and we will make that forum our own.
My E 80 is due to arrive tomorrow. Hope it is on time
Best to all,
Bebop

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 8 9 10

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online