SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#218735 - 01/10/05 01:08 PM Re: My voice, Can it be changed???
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Well maybe I have an inkling.... That's a good idea Gary. I can get by a little now, but some improvement would be very welcome.
Definitely an idea for my "To Do" list. Thanks

AJ

#218736 - 01/10/05 01:32 PM Re: My voice, Can it be changed???
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Gary, please explain "diction" in the context of improving your singing.

#218737 - 01/10/05 02:16 PM Re: My voice, Can it be changed???
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Diction is the correct pronounciation of words, placing the proper emphasis on consonants and vowels. It's a form of enunciation that makes your wording clear and distinct. I read a great article in a music magazine about a vocal instructor that worked with Elvis in Nashville to improve his diction. She went on to instruct many of the top performers then and now. If words are slurred when singing, they have the tendency to make the performer seem less inteligible. Sinatra was a master with diction, and every word he sang was crisp, clear and distinct, but at the same time, his style seemed so relaxed the songs all sounded spontaneous.

Diction is also another reason not to drink on the job. Nothing, absolutely nothing, sounds worse than someone who is half toasted trying to sing. If you don;t believe this is the case, just go to any Karaoke Bar, don't drink anything stronger than soda pop, and listen the drunks make complete and utter fools of themselves while the drunken audiences applaud their performances.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#218738 - 01/12/05 07:16 AM Re: My voice, Can it be changed???
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
I to have been blessed with my voice, I sing everything in the original keys. I have been singing professionally for 47 years and I agree with Gary about the diction part of vocalizing...and the drinking part...all of your drinking should be done when you are not working.....

#218739 - 01/12/05 07:31 AM Re: My voice, Can it be changed???
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I hereby apply for a voice transplant. If I could afford it I would buy Ray Charles'. I would also pay top dollar for UD's, DonM's, Gary's, Rich's, Scott's, DNJ's and several others I have heard here. Sorry Tom C., I haven't heard you sing, but if DonM says you're good.....you're good.

If the price for those voices is out of my range, I will settle for Michael Bolton's...but the price would really have to be RIGHT! And on sale.

Eddie

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 01-12-2005).]

#218740 - 01/12/05 12:25 PM Re: My voice, Can it be changed???
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by btweengigs:
I hereby apply for a voice transplant. If I could afford it.....

Hey btweengigs,

I think that's a very interesting notion. Me...I'd go for Tom Jones or maybe Johnny Mathis. Make all the girls "swoon" just like they do for Donny (Dnj).

-mike

#218741 - 01/12/05 01:14 PM Re: My voice, Can it be changed???
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
When Donny leaves his Thursday night dance, he has a slew of eightie year old girls hanging onto him..

#218742 - 01/12/05 01:41 PM Re: My voice, Can it be changed???
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
When Donny leaves his Thursday night dance, he has a slew of eightie year old girls hanging onto him..

Hey Donny....go for it...many a good tune has been played on a old fiddle...hehehe

#218743 - 01/12/05 02:14 PM Re: My voice, Can it be changed???
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Haven't heard from Donny in a while. I was hoping to draw him out.

No posts, no links, no pictures...I think he passed the baton to Fran who's doing a bang-up job, I might add. (nice picture you hung up in the Bar)

-mike

#218744 - 01/12/05 03:37 PM Re: My voice, Can it be changed???
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Rebel:
I want to sing proper so bad

If your statement is true, then if should not be that difficult for you to prioritize your time and do it! The above info is good stuff... and it does work, believe me. Take lessons and practice... the more effort you put in, the better you'll get. Good luck.

Glenn

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online