SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#218725 - 01/08/05 07:39 PM Re: My voice, Can it be changed???
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Think Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Rod Stewart, Don Mason

By FAR ... the best one mentioned in the above list, is Don Mason!
(Stone, cold serious !)

#218726 - 01/10/05 08:20 AM Re: My voice, Can it be changed???
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I'm surprised no one metioned electronics (TC-Helicon). I know the pros will knock it, but they sound pretty good to me. I was impressed by the voice processing on the Roland Discover 5 (not an arranger). They can make you sound like a woman, like the Backstreet Boys. With pitch correction, based on the chords you play.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 01-10-2005).]

#218727 - 01/10/05 10:18 AM Re: My voice, Can it be changed???
ByRequest Offline

Loc: Cullman, AL USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
I'm surprised no one metioned electronics (TC-Helicon). I know the pros will knock it, but they sound pretty good to me. I was impressed by the voice processing on the Roland Discover 5 (not an arranger). They can make you sound like a woman, like the Backstreet Boys. With pitch correction, based on the chords you play.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 01-10-2005).]

Starkeeper, I agree. If I remember right the topic (pitch correction) took a beating some time ago.

Yet these machine do their job; like it or not. If you get too far off key you can and will get a robotic sound. But you know, if someone was really smart they would market that as a feature.

Follow me with this one:

During practice whenever the vocal starts sounding robotic then you would "instantly" know that you have missed the mark. Time to back up and try it again. With trial and error you would be bringing yourself back on key. (Kinda like immediate feedback on how well you are progressing.)

With midi and/or programing you would not have to worry about playing the keyboard. You would remain fully focused on your singing voice.

Now you do want to get to the point that you can tell if you are singing in key by playing the melody on the keyboard and singing. Not everyone can do this in the beginning.

Also these machines do allow you to "hide" some mistakes in the light mix of reverb and echo.

Of course this probably won't make a teen idol out of anyone but it may allow you to "carefully" choose some songs and to perform them.

Now is all this worth several hundred dollars in equipment?

I guess as with most things in life; it depends.

Floyd

#218728 - 01/10/05 10:23 AM Re: My voice, Can it be changed???
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"Of course this probably won't make a teen idol out of anyone but it may allow you to "carefully" choose some songs and to perform them."

All that's necessary to make a teen idol is lots of publicity!! Remember Fabian? He couldn't even TALK on key.
DonM

#218729 - 01/10/05 10:40 AM Re: My voice, Can it be changed???
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I struggle to accept my voice, it's a constant battle with confidence. I got what I got. It HAS improved dramatically though over the past, say, ten years. Because I have sang a lot! But sometimes, I HATE IT. But I have strangers tell me they love my voice. Go figure. Honestly, I shake my head.

However, I could always sing on key. To "Rebel," I'll be honest. You may be someone who should NOT sing. I have no idea. If I were you, I'd seek out a teacher or someone who would give you an honest opinion. If you are woefully off key, can't hold the pitch at all, maybe it's unlikely you ever will be able to sing FOR OTHERS. Some people just flat cannot sing.

Also search for a post on here by me about a girl who sings with me. It's in this forum... maybe two, three months ago.

#218730 - 01/10/05 11:49 AM Re: My voice, Can it be changed???
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Rebel,

Stick with it and practice practice practice. I also agree with Don (my hero) about liking your own voice and what a little reverb and eq can do for you. Record yourself and then play it back. Work on the parts that sound bad over and over and over. I will never be a great singer but I've progressed to the point that most times I can get by.

Don, Hank told me he taught you how to sing!

Tom

#218731 - 01/10/05 12:00 PM Re: My voice, Can it be changed???
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I HAVE learned a lot from Hank. He has such a wonderful stage presence. He is the original bull***t artist!
Don't let Tom C. fool you folks, he sings very well!
DonM

#218732 - 01/10/05 12:15 PM Re: My voice, Can it be changed???
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Semi.. I relate.. totally.. I know I don't have the pipes that some of these guys here have, ( not even close )but there are some things I have learned to do fairly well ( with practice ). I get by fairly well when I work toward what I can do. I can sing on key just fine, but if it's not ina comfortable range, the tonal quality of my voice can leave a bit ( or even quite a bit ) to be desired.

One thing I learned from using my SM58 into a microphone modeler. Not every microphone is right for everyone. Of course, using a mic modeler isn't the same as really changing mics, but it still makes enough of a differnce that it opened my eyes a little.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-10-2005).]

#218733 - 01/10/05 12:26 PM Re: My voice, Can it be changed???
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
I can sing on key just fine, but if it's not ina comfortable range, the tonal quality of my voice can leave a bit ( or even quite a bit ) to be desired.

That's me, exactly. I finally deduced that I need to sing as low as possible, whatever that key is for any given song. I did that on a recent song recording. Several people said "You are singing in too low a key." Dang, I thought I had it figured it out.

One thing I learned from using my SM58 into a microphone modeler. Not every microphone is right for everyone. Of course, using a mic modeler isn't the same as really changing mics, but it still makes enough of a differnce that it opened my eyes a little.

This is why I started a recent thread about the z2200 system... why do I sound better? It is dramatic to my ears. I sound WAY better... I mean my voice.

#218734 - 01/10/05 12:31 PM Re: My voice, Can it be changed???
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
One or the things I've been blessed with is my voice. (Lots of other body parts were not nearly as functional!) However, even if you have a good voice, vocal training can bring out those attributes. When I told my spouse that I was going to take voice lessons at the local community college her first question was WHY? I explained that I felt I could improve my voice if I could learn ways to expand my range, yet still maintain good vocal control. For the first time in more than 4 decades of nuptuial bliss she said I may be right.

After taking the 3 month course, my range increased dramatically, I had much better control, I leared proper breathing techniques, and most of all, I discovered the one of the main ingredients to quality vocals is diction. And, last spring while touring the sunny south and meeting up with several Synth-Zoners we stopped in Nashville. Amazingly, there were several instructors there that also stressed the importance of diction, and some had tutored many of the top country performers.

The bottom line is, if you have an inkling of vocal ability, I strongly suggest looking into a vocal course at the local community college. It's not expensive, and it could be the edge that will eventually make you a better performer.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online