SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#217902 - 06/16/03 09:25 PM My First Cd is Done!
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
I'd like to thank all the folks here that answered all my silly question... from how to make a home studio... which sound card to buy...ect... Thanks to you guys I have finished a CD which I didn't even think about until my wife demanded lyrics when purchasing the PSR2000 at Christmas... I found writing the songs to be much easier than mastering recording, which I still have not done... I may have to tweak the vocal volume on some songs but other than that I'm raping up this project... Again you folks have help me a bunch and would like to say thanks... You can check out samples http://www.chipos.com/beachbum/
Or not... But just wanted to say thanks to all that help me!
Oh,could have been 100% better than it... Although could have been 100% worse...
DJ

[This message has been edited by beachbum (edited 06-16-2003).]

#217903 - 06/17/03 04:56 AM Re: My First Cd is Done!
trtjazz Offline

Dj,
I listened to your whole cd. Man, you've come a long way on your mixing/recording abilities.

My favorites Olden Times, No Time, Moonlight, Ragged Man, and of course Why, which is still my fav of fav's. I think the style of Why suits your vocals the best, plus I like the lyrics and the melody the best on this one.

I can't help but get the feeling of the "Jesus Christ Superstar" phenominon of the early 70's with your styles and melodies, which if you're too young to remember was a MEGA hit album in it's day.

Alll around very cool and I give this cd a 9/10. Thanks for sharing
jam on,
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#217904 - 06/17/03 07:48 AM Re: My First Cd is Done!
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Hi Beachbum.
My sincere congratulations.
Your music sounds very nice.
I like the kind of musician as you that can be evaluated by the musical work.
No sense comments are made , looking for some spotlight...
Tks

ChicoBrasil
Musician and SZ family member

#217905 - 06/17/03 11:18 AM Re: My First Cd is Done!
beachbum Offline

Thanks,
Terry, DonM, Chico...
Terry, if you have 5 favorites it can't be that bad a CD. It kind of sucks when your trying to thank a community for their help and your thread gets hijacked. Terry, you owe me a CD and I'll ship mine to you. Have your address already... I'm looking forward to creating my next CD...
Thanks again all... And really thanks, Terry for answering all my emails with lengthy replies your one of the big resons this even happened!
DJ

[This message has been edited by beachbum (edited 06-17-2003).]

#217906 - 06/17/03 01:48 PM Re: My First Cd is Done!
trtjazz Offline

Dj,
You need to let me know which of mine you want to swap yours for and it's a done deal.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#217907 - 06/17/03 05:23 PM Re: My First Cd is Done!
beachbum Offline

Hey Terry,
Your latest vocal CD...

#217908 - 06/17/03 05:33 PM Re: My First Cd is Done!
trtjazz Offline

Dj,
Done deal we'll hook up on E and exchange addresses.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

#217909 - 06/19/03 04:18 PM Re: My First Cd is Done!
beachbum Offline

I did some final remixing and think this is much better.

#217910 - 06/19/03 05:07 PM Re: My First Cd is Done!
Big Red Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi Beachbum,

That's some very nice work there. I don't know if it struck anyone else, but you have some very Sting-like qualities in your voice, and the processing seems to enhance that. What processing do you have on the vocal track? It's an intriguing effect.

Good luck with your efforts.

#217911 - 06/19/03 06:49 PM Re: My First Cd is Done!
beachbum Offline

Mr. Red,
Thanks for the listen... I get that Sting stuff all the time. I've heard my stuff enough now where I don't notice it. Wish I sounded like Tony (then I'd be unique) Anyway, I record from my Psr2000 to my mixer, then to my Delta card. I used Cool Edit for the recording and used real audio expander for the vocal... This effect mellowed it out a bit so I didn't get to loud on some parts. I also used the harmonizing effects on the PSR2000 on Olden Times and Carry me home. I also boosted the treble a bit on both music and vocals...
Feel free if you have anymore questions...
Thanks again,
DJ

#217912 - 06/19/03 10:08 PM Re: My First Cd is Done!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
hi Beachbum: I finally got a chance to give your music a closer listen. Your musical style is quite different than what I do, but I really appreciate what you're doing. I can tell you have a lot to say. Intense poetic ideas, especially considering this is your very 1st album. I really like the atmospheric moods you created. Did you utilize the PSR2000 entirely on your album? Your album dispays quite a variety of grooves and moods.

Though I appreciate your emotional vocal intensity, at times it's a bit painfully harsh (and I'm concerned that you might be damaging cords as it appears that you may be uncessarily straining at times). I do really like your lyric writing, but it's sometimes difficult to make out without a lot of effort. My suggestion is seek out a vocal coach in your area who's experienced working in the rock genre. Considering you live in the progressively hip music city of Austin, Texas (btw: one of my personal FAVorite US destination cities), A good vocal coach & music teacher should be pretty easy to find, and can help you develop a solid vocal technique foundation to maximize your rock style vocal abilities, yet insure that you don't damage your chords, and help you improve your vocal 'diction' as well. A lot of people think that pro rock/pop singers never had a music lesson or saw a vocal coach in their life. That's actually only what they WANT you to think to give the illusion that they were just born with raw talent. Looking forward to hearing more from you as you proceed down life's musical path. - Scott

#217913 - 06/20/03 06:43 AM Re: My First Cd is Done!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Scott,
... concerning vocal coaches, obviously I never had one, but I'm curious to know if anyone else other than you here has.
DonM

#217914 - 06/20/03 01:12 PM Re: My First Cd is Done!
beachbum Offline

Thanks Scott,
If this were more than a hobby I’d consider a vocal coach. Anyway, I went through the music finder on the 2K and would start to play around and a song was born. All Styles and sounds are from the 2K. Yeah there is a few times my voice gets a little harsh. As my mixing progresses I should be able to harness it in the CD to come.
Thanks again Scott… Once in a while I go back to here your coffee in Brazil song… Good stuff

DJ

#217915 - 06/20/03 07:29 PM Re: My First Cd is Done!
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi BB,
Apologies for not replying sooner! I listened to your songs earlier in the week but have not had much time to get online properly this week.
My faves were 'Gone' which I found very haunting and unusual. This track is (to my ears) so very different to all of the others and I love what I heard. Very nice indeed.
I also loved 'Carry me home'. I have to agree with Scott in that sometimes the vocal is hard to catch / follow on the first listen but it is totally worth the effort in that your lyrics are 'substantial' and meaningful. I think you write 'intelligent' lyrics which is something I find difficult. I know what I want to say but the translation to paper always seems to diminish the message in my songs. In your writing you manage to convey exactly what you want to say.

Very nice work and I lok forward to CD #2
All the best
Tony

#217916 - 06/20/03 10:11 PM Re: My First Cd is Done!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
... concerning vocal coaches

Don,
I studied Music Ed at Temple and had a few voice "lessons" there, but it was more of a diction class than anything else. To be honest, the best thing I ever did for my voice was learn the clarinet. Just like Mr "S", the wind instrument taught me to breathe, phrase and make music out of the notes. That's hard to teach with just words.
You played trumpet, didn't you? That probably taught you more about breathing than you knew !

I was always a strong swimmer, never smoke or drank either. All those things help the pipes !

#217917 - 06/20/03 10:34 PM Re: My First Cd is Done!
beachbum Offline

Tony,
Thanks very much for your response…You, my friend have such a unique sound… At least every time you open up your mouth to spout vocals someone’s not saying… You sound like Sting.. I’ve worked pretty hard on this for the last 5 months…. However, it wasn’t the song creation or the lyrics I found difficult… It was recording and mixing… I wish I could make up tunes and sing and let someone else worry about the levels and want not… And the different sounds you get while recording… On my system everything sounds good. On my work computer the vocals are too loud. However, I took the CD to my Neighbors house where he has a proper stereo system…. And while listening I was struck by the fact that I created these songs and like what I heard… And that’s why we do it, we are creating and that made it all worth while…
Thanks again Tony and FIX YOUR WEB SITE!!!!
DJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online