SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#217206 - 11/12/02 08:02 AM Cables Cables Cables.... Help
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
OK, Ready to set up equipment and start tweeking the board, Mics etc at my wifes Uncles Banquet Hall....I have basic cheapo cables at home for practice and experimenting...but now it's time to lay the bucks down for what is probably the most important purchase...the cables. I spoke with a sales rep/technician at our local music store the other day, and told him I wanted the best sound reproduction setup for the cables..but I wasn't going to buy the Monster studio quality cables...so here is what he said..and I'd like a common sense check from my synth zone friends before purchasing..
I have a powered Mackie subwoofer and 2 EVsxa 100 powered speakers. The guy I'm working for told me to buy 50' cables because some setups require that length. Tech told me that I should use 20 ft sections at most connected by a DI in between. He also said because I had powered speakers, I should use instrument cable with XLR balanced jacks, because speaker cables would carry too much noise compared to the shielded instrument cables. He also said the Monster 500 pro series with a lifetime warranty were best for my setup, because I can bring them back anytime and they replace the entire bad cable with a new one, on the spot, no receipt or packaging needed. So...
instrument cables VS speaker cables...can I not get shielded speaker cables??? Is the difference that instrument cables carry a clearer , less noisy signal than speaker cables? Are speaker cables primarily for systems that amplify a signal first, then push it to the speakers??
I'm just looking for the least noise and the clearest reproduction possible. I don't want noisy cables mucking up or adding to any other system noiise I may encounter...so...my friends...is this much to do about nothing, or does his recommendation work...speaker or instrument..and which one is best. Are there shielded speaker cable...which one works best with powered speakers...do I need to split the 50' length with a DI in the middle?
So much to learn and so little time....All recommendations are welcomed and appreciated..Thanks Brian

#217207 - 11/12/02 09:06 AM Re: Cables Cables Cables.... Help
trtjazz Offline

IMO after switching to monster cables in my setup well worth the investment. I actually clearly could hear a difference in sound quality and a drastic drop in the line noise.

For length I have always used the shortest cable possible to get the job done, less resistance and noise that way, unless you're going to mortgage the house to get the type of cables they use for big time concerts that can withstand the distance.
Terry

#217208 - 11/12/02 09:22 AM Re: Cables Cables Cables.... Help
Catsailor Offline

B2,

You will be better off with a single, shielded cable. There will be less noise picked up. The more connections you add to lengthen the cable reach will only cause you noise problems irregardless of how well the connectors are made. You will not have to be concerned about any signal loss until the cable length approaches 100 feet. Do purchase a good quality cable. Price does not necessarily reflect quality. Try and find a good Hi-Fi store if there are any still around. These people have a great ear for music quality from a speaker and are very particular (fanatical!) about the sound quality. They can really help you out. Hope this helps.

Peter

#217209 - 11/12/02 10:43 AM Re: Cables Cables Cables.... Help
Dnj Offline

B2,

This should make your decision easier.

good luck
http://www.gigcables.com

Dnj

#217210 - 11/12/02 11:57 AM Re: Cables Cables Cables.... Help
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
B2,

You are correct about speaker cables. They carry an amplified signal to the speakers. Generally they do not pickup radio stations and do not introduce noise into the mix. You need cables heavy enough to handle the watts you are pumping through them. I have to disagree with Terry on this one. For less than 300 watts you can use lamp cord for speaker wire if you want to. It really doesn't matter as long as the wire can handle the power and the run length is less than 30 feet. The heavier the wire the more power it can handle and the less power loss there is on longer runs.

Because you are sending an un-amplified signal to the sub and EV's, interference, radio stations, and noise pickup become more of a problem. Any signal picked up by these cables will get amplified just like the signal from your keyboard. The signal level being input to your powered speakers is at a very small level. It does not warrant the added expense of Monster cables. You need good balanced XLR cables that have good shielding, nothing more. I do agree with Terry that you should keep the run length as short as possible. I use standard 20 foot XLR cables and connect them together if more length is needed. I hope this helps.

Tom

Tom

#217211 - 11/12/02 11:59 AM Re: Cables Cables Cables.... Help
B2 Offline

Thanks for your replies...terry, I take it the cables you're refering to are for your studio, or were you talking performing?

catsailor..thanks for the scoop..I hear alot of different lengths thrown out when you start discussing what's the max length of cable you would use...i've heard anywhere from 30-50...yours was the first 100' i've run across....My feeling all along was, whatever the length...just have it be one piece...because connections will add to the noise. I'm really against the 50' length still..I was looking more at 30'-40' max, but the guy I'm working with swears that there are banquet halls where you have no choice but to run a longer speaker wire because of the logistics of where you are VS where the speakers go to best suit the audience...
DNJ...I take it you have alot of experience with these cables.....and you recommend them highly....As cat sailor said, I can pay whole lot, or a little...makes no difference to me..I just want the best sound possible..
Thanks again...Brian

[This message has been edited by B2 (edited 11-12-2002).]

#217212 - 11/12/02 12:16 PM Re: Cables Cables Cables.... Help
B2 Offline

Tom..Thanks for the info...when you hook the cables together, do you use a DI box, adapter, or can you simply chain cables together...Brian

#217213 - 11/12/02 04:19 PM Re: Cables Cables Cables.... Help
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
B2,

For mic cables I just chain them together. For speaker cables if I need a really long run I have one extender cable that I made with parts bought from Radio Shaft.

Tom

#217214 - 11/12/02 04:47 PM Re: Cables Cables Cables.... Help
B2 Offline

Tom, I'm chaining instrument cables, not speaker or Mic cables...I recon you can just chain the instrument cables as the mic cables with the XLR connectors...After these posts and doing some research, I'm down to copper braided shielding..does anyone know if 90% coverage VS 95% coverage regarding shielding is significant? In a live environment I would imagine there's enough ambient noise in the hall where this isn't real significant, but I don't want to presume...Tom, once again, thanks for your inputs..Brian

#217215 - 11/13/02 05:51 AM Re: Cables Cables Cables.... Help
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Wow...............Brian, you're worrying WAY too much. All the big stores carry high quality cables - just buy a good, reliable, thick mic cable for the main PA, and get sheilded, shrinkwrapped ends on the 1/4" cables. It makes such a small difference in the end, unless the cables don't hold up. As far as Monsters ... I use them in the studio, but not on stage. There's enough noise in the system already - You won't get rid of the hissy EV noise with a better cable. Just get pro cables and take care of them - they'll do you proud !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online