SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#216455 - 01/08/03 06:30 AM Re: Weighted Keys on PSR's...??? Don't really see the point..
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Bluezplayer,
Have you used the sampling section of the sequencer on the Motif??? Added something like a live guitar riff to a song? I never got the chance to try that out yet... On thing that is true is that the Yamaha PSR's (9000 Pro, Tyros, and PSR-9000 not included), have a spongy keybed.. I too had to adjust myself a little to play it.. That's one main reason I won't use the PSR-550 for heavy drum work... It always makes me nervous when I do fast hi-hat and snare work on the keys.. It just seems like they'll break on me.. When I need to do some heavy drum work I always use my drum machine, which I use most of the time anyways Oh AJ, did you see the Motif Rack??? It's supposed to be released this month.. I don't think it has the sequencer, but is more of a sound module... It's still a good rack though.. I wonder what the price will be..

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-08-2003).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#216456 - 01/08/03 08:20 AM Re: Weighted Keys on PSR's...??? Don't really see the point..
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Hi squeak,

I haven't used "one shot " type samples in the Mo ( like guitar riffs ), but I have sampled my own guitar ( one or more wav from each string ) and combined it with the internal guitar voices. I also made a sample of the PA80 guitar string pluck noise ( much better than the one on the Mo ) and use it in the Motif. The 2000 had that session guitar sound in it going on which was pretty cool, but the string pluck noise from the PA80 allowed me to make versions that I like even better on both the PA80 and the Motif.

I had heard that the Motif rack was coming out, but have not seen any prices yet. The sound module would be cool too, a I couild live without the sequencer. I use the Mo sequencer a little ( usually when I'm recording a short phrase or an arp ), but I still prefer using Sonar ( and even XG works at times ) over any kb sequencer.

I had actually condsidered for a minute selling the Mo and using the funds toward a Tyros, but after thinking it through ( for a minute or two ) that isn't gonna happen. With money being an issue ( at least for now ), key feel and all, I'd even consider revisting the 2000 for a backup for the occasional live work ( it's very occasional these days ) , but I still want to try the Tyros out anyway.

The Mo is great for the electronic stuff. If I could scrape together the money for a Tyros, great. If not, I'll have to "settle" for what I have now. I want to move to a more electronic sound for at least some of the things I do anyway, and work on improving my guitar skills so that I can play real guitar all the time on blues / jazz pieces. Despite the excellent advances of late, part of it is that I'm not always satisfied with the way any kbs ( or even samples ) imitate some acoustic instruments. You can do fine in playing situations with the emulations, but trying to do it at a level that will sound like the real thing ( at a pro level or beter said at a level for a recording I'd want to release ) is a lot of work ( sometimes just sequencing and adding nuances AFTER I play in real time ) and sometimes seems unachievable . I realize that knowing the nuances of each instrument is important, but even with years of practicing and messing witrh samples sometimes the results don;t please me. I am toying with using differet controllers ( wind , breath etc ), but the bottom line is at some point I just want to sit down and create freely. ( sorry.. straying way off to fodder for another topic )

AJ

#216457 - 01/08/03 12:12 PM Re: Weighted Keys on PSR's...??? Don't really see the point..
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I sure hope the rack has a decent price.. If it's just a sound module with no sequencer or sampling, then hopefully they put a fair price on it.. I remember the EX-5 rack.., that thing had a high tag because it also carried the sequencer and sampler from the Keyboard models, and even had the knobs .

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online