SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#216435 - 01/07/03 11:30 AM Re: Weighted Keys on PSR's...??? Don't really see the point..
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Great minds think alike. I was thinking that the instrumental break should be a flute solo. Love that flute.
Starkeeper

#216436 - 01/07/03 11:35 AM Re: Weighted Keys on PSR's...??? Don't really see the point..
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Wild isn't it...??? I just know what sounds good together on the piano.. Guitar I know some chords and so forth, but not by reading actual notes.. I can read tabs easily. Piano just throws me for some reason.. I See all those notes going everywhere and I think there is a valve that shuts off in my brain.. I've actually looking into taking lessons and have met with instructors.. Every instructor I talked to suggested that I just continue what I'm doing now, and that all the lessons could possibly change my style of playing. One instructor said that to watch my fingers and my overall posture and technique while playing, it looks like I've had many years of lessons. I've even tried to teach myself to read music, but always get lost in it because I'll be humming a tune to myself while working on it, and then get an idea for a song, and jump right on the keyboard to whip it out before I forget it... Then I go back to the lesson and I'm totally lost... It's funny actually....

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#216437 - 01/07/03 11:37 AM Re: Weighted Keys on PSR's...??? Don't really see the point..
squeak_D Offline

Starkeeper,
Tell ya what.. I'll record a short piano composition tonight and send it to you.., tell me what you think of it and if it sounds like I've been taught to play.. Might even throw in some strings or something to bring it out a bit...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#216438 - 01/07/03 11:56 AM Re: Weighted Keys on PSR's...??? Don't really see the point..
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Oh crap! almost forgot.. "I'm broke.. "

Squeak

Hey Squeak...you've still got a nice vintage Lincoln to sell, have you forgotten?

#216439 - 01/07/03 12:04 PM Re: Weighted Keys on PSR's...??? Don't really see the point..
Flavie Offline

Loc: Ontario - Canada
Hi! I do believe that everyone who has the music in his heart can play and sing without any lessons. Sometimes too many lessons can stop the heart to sing!!! Is God who's giving us the inspiration and God lives in the heart not in the brain!
Please excuse my humble opinnion!
Flavi.

#216440 - 01/07/03 12:30 PM Re: Weighted Keys on PSR's...??? Don't really see the point..
squeak_D Offline

Dreamer,
No way am I going to get rid of the Lincoln... The price I got that thing for is unheard of and most people say I stole it because of what I actually paid... Hell if I sold the Lincoln, I could get a Tyros, PA-80, Pa-60, PSR-1000, PSR-2000 and still have some money left over to play with... Not going to do it though.. Wife and I need 2 cars.. It's actually quite funny though.. As broke as I am, to see me driving around in my car you wouldn't think it. My car is nicer than some of the attorneys here at the firm. I know that has pissed some of them off.., considering I make a hell of a lot less than they do...

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-07-2003).]

#216441 - 01/07/03 12:47 PM Re: Weighted Keys on PSR's...??? Don't really see the point..
Roel Offline

Squeak_D,

I think there are a few types of keys :

a. 'Piano'-keys with real hammer-action that are relatively slow-moving and need most energy to play.

b. Weighted (non-hammer) keys, have some extra weight built-in, have a solid feel.
(sometimes called : Semi-weighted)

c. Non-weighted, non-hammer-action 'weightless' plastic keys, pretty noisy, Feel toy-alike.

d. Standard-width keys (165 mm per octave)

e. Non-standard keys (160 mm per octave)
(Yammies )

Most of the posts I remember were about keyFEEL and not about wishes to have real-weighted (hammer) keys.

I do not like type a. c. and e. keys at all but I prefer a combination of b. and d.

regards,

Roel

#216442 - 01/07/03 12:50 PM Re: Weighted Keys on PSR's...??? Don't really see the point..
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Squeak, Yea. send me a piano solo. Would love to hear it. I am not knocking musicians that are self-taught. We are way off thread here, but I think there are many that would disagree with Flavie. Taking lessons gives you musical knowledge, so you know why you are playing certain notes and chords and this gives a musician the tools to build on. On the other hand lots of jazz musicans never took lessons. I took one piano lesson recently, and the teacher was not interested in teaching me to read notes.
I am wud like to read notes, but am mostly interested in learning accomapaniment. You don't need to read notes to do that. Just to confuse things further, there are clasically trained piano players that became synth players.
Starkeeper

#216443 - 01/07/03 12:54 PM Re: Weighted Keys on PSR's...??? Don't really see the point..
squeak_D Offline

Roel,
Combine C and E and you got Yammie all the way..

Squeak

#216444 - 01/07/03 01:33 PM Re: Weighted Keys on PSR's...??? Don't really see the point..
squeak_D Offline

Starkeeper,
I'll send that out to you tonight.. Will only take me 3-5 minutes to record. I sometimes get carried away too. Especially if I say well I'm just going to record a piano track.. After I record that, something clicks in my head and says "you know this would sound good too" then after that happening constantly the song that was supposed to be just one track turns out to be 10 or so... I'll try not to do this... I'll try to keep it simple. I think I impress my wife at times when i just play the piano voice. She often hears me soloing with saxes and guitars, but when she actually sees and hears me playing piano alone I think she enjoys that more. I'll go from one extreme to the other.. I'd be playing a hardcore blues song then out of no where whip out a beautiful piano piece... I guess I'm an odd ball.

Squeak

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online