SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#216287 - 01/20/06 07:52 AM New here, performance question.
familyguy Offline

Hi all !

Long time reader.. first time poster.

First off, I must say that I've found much of the information on this site very useful, and would like to start off by saying "Thanks!"

About a year ago I took the plunge and purchased a PSR3000 and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. I'm simply a hobbyist. Prior to the 3000, I played with a Yamaha TG-300 sound module and a midi controller for many years. I took some lessons when I was in elementary school for a few years and then on and off in high school.

While I've always enjoyed the idea of performing in front of people (mainly friends and family), I've simply never developed the confidence to do so. I spend more time with my headphones on than not.

What I find most interesting (and the reason for this post) is that when I listen to and watch other performers playing even the simplest of pieces that I know I can play EXACTLY the same, I just don't feel that mine sounds as good. It's as if I have some kind of psychological block that prevents me from admitting that I can play well enough to perform.

I've never been a very technical player, but I can play many pop tunes on my keyboard. Fortunately I thoroughly enjoy playing for myself and I guess that should be first and foremost.

Anyone else experience this, or have any suggestions on how to get through it?

Anyway, I hope my first post doesn't make me sound too crazy. 'Cuz I'm not. Well, maybe just a little.

Take care and thanks.

-Mike

#216288 - 01/20/06 08:13 AM Re: New here, performance question.
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
HI Mike

Welome to the forum. You bring up an excellent topic. I would say the difference between public performing and hobby performing can be linked to how aggressive a person is, how much confidence and they believe in themselves, and their ability to take risks.

Putting yourself on stage for all to see and not being intimidated by diverse opinions on your performance are hallmarks of great performers. Everyone goes through periods of self doubt, but on the whole, performers have a "I don't give a crap what you think" attitude that helps them transcend the audience.

Just a few ideas to get provoke thought...

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#216289 - 01/20/06 08:24 AM Re: New here, performance question.
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It is a very natural feeling. I sometimes still feel that way after 40 years of performing, particularly about my singing. You will get over it pretty much in time.
Welcome to the forum, and please say hello to Stewie for me.

(To our friends in other countries, Family Guy is a TV show here, and Stewie is a precocious talking baby with a British accent.)
DonM

#216290 - 01/20/06 08:51 AM Re: New here, performance question.
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Mike, I am writing this with a smile on my face. What you describe, is exactly what is happening to me, honest. You could be my twin brother.

I overcame (so to speak) this "I can't do it" feeling and the nervousness associated with it, and played in front of others 2 times. (cheers from everyone )

There were a number of reasons for this:

1) Simply, there was an opportunity to do so. I can't say "hey, I am going to play you something" out of the blue.

2) There was another active guitar player in the room in both of these occasions, meaning that I was playing WITH someone else and not FOR an audience. Simply put, I "offloaded" some of my psycological burden to the other player, (not literally, but I felt this way) so (in my mind again) I was not the center of attention.

3) I WANTED to do so. If you don't want it, you won't do it.

4) In the second occasion, which involved an audience of about 10-15 persons, there was whiskey involved . You get the idea. Not completely drunk, not sober either. Enough to push me forward.

5) I had confidence, (took me 9 years of playing to myself of course) that I could cope, even if I never played the songs, just seeing some chords in a piece of paper. Of course I had heard the songs before. It is not much difficult to "play along" with a guitar player, by playing some chords with the left hand and some very simple arpeggios or melodies on top with the right.

6) I thought to myself (here's the whiskey helping): If you finally don't play vey well, so what???? Nobody's gonna die.

So, work with what you have....you want to do it, right??? find an opportunity, share the burden with someone else, play what you can, and lace it all up with booze. You can't, and you won't fail.

Best of luck,
Theodore

P.S. You made a VERY important step, by writing this after lurking for some time.... You just performed, in front of strangers, and explained your "problem". If you think of it, performing in front of family and friends who know and love you is much easier, isn't it?.

#216291 - 01/20/06 09:24 AM Re: New here, performance question.
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Mike ... WELCOME !!! ... as Dracula says, "it's always nice to have fresh 'blood' in the mix" ...
In order to get an idea as to what people might think about your playing, you have to play in front of them ... perhaps some will like it and some won't, but you've got to be brave enough to find out ... If more like it than not, you are on your way ...
I am comfortable about performing, but that doesn't mean I don't get butterflies before a gig/job, especially if I am playing in a place for the first time ... and I played my first gig at about the age of 15 years, which means I have been doing this for almost 50 YEARS !!! ... there are times when I feel someone may not be enjoying my performance, but hearing the compliments as people dance or walk by more than makes up for that ...
Go to it and HAVE FUN !!!
t.

#216292 - 01/20/06 10:15 AM Re: New here, performance question.
familyguy Offline

Thank you everyone for your much valued responses and the warm welcome.

Theodore (trident), I thought it was very funny that the P.S. in your post really touched on something. The moment I posted that first message, I felt a big sense of relief. I've discussed this with my wife from time to time, but I don't think she truly understands the feeling. Maybe this could be the first step for me. :-)

Al (kbrkr), the "I don't give a crap what you think" idea also hits a point. I'm very confident at home and at work, and I think people would perceive me as a very confident person in general. But the fact is that I know I worry too much about other people's opinions.

Tony and Don, it's always comforting to hear that people with great experience still have some degree of this.

It makes me laugh that when I first tried out the PSR3000 in the store, one of the things I really loved about it was that it was everything I wanted AND due to its built in speakers, I could have the flexibility and ease of taking it someplace (even bought a carrying bag), or just playing in my living room without needing any additional amplification. The intent was there at the time to have people hear it. I think a lot came to a head when Christmas came and went and all the Christmas songs I had been preparing for months were never heard by anyone. Again, I enjoyed every minute of playing them even for myself.

Hopefully I can break through this. We've got a couple of family events coming up at our house in the upcoming months, so the opportunity will certainly be there.

#216293 - 01/20/06 11:10 AM Re: New here, performance question.
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Mike, I think if you took a head count here..You would find the vast majority started to play in public....with a group of some sort...For ,the old accordion players, it was by design that we were part of accordion bands, for this purpose...many times the accordion bands would perform in showcases[even TV]...This contributed to our individual confidence..

Some of us went on to play in small combo bands with drummers, Sax players and maybe bass and guitar players...the point as you touched on...we were not alone..

This can be continued by maybe working with a vocalist..in my case I chose to work with young female vocalist,,this really helps because , believe me you are not the center of attention in this situation...

It will all come about ,when you will feel totally comfortable by your lonesome...great tools[keyboards] will also help in this respect..

#216294 - 01/20/06 11:59 AM Re: New here, performance question.
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hi, Mike...way to go! I find that performing in front of people actually relaxes me, but most of my jobs are in dining rooms, where I provide ambiance...low volumes and not a lot of blatant interaction with the patrons.I play "second fiddle" to a ham sandwich!

Day work is super high stress. After a job that goes well, I'm totally relaxed, and, these days, that's with no liquer or other "relaxers". Plus, like flying planes, any landing you survive is a good one. There's usually instant gratification. A successful job is like peeing in a dark pair of pants...you just get that "nice warm feeling"!

I belive that you learn as much playing for the public for three or four hours as practising for 10 or 12. The added requirement to concentrate and "pull it off" makes for an efficient environment for improving.

Keep it up!

And, WELCOME!

Russ

#216295 - 01/20/06 12:10 PM Re: New here, performance question.
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Mike:

When you're setting there playing your music. Do you think it sounds fairly professional. If you do, get your behind out there and let others enjoy it also. You can do it and (no crutches "booze") Don't even start that, a good entertainer needs to be sober. Don't make excuses to the audience before or after you play, Just use a little comedy if you screw up at first.

One hour infront of a crowd playing, is equal to 100 hours of practice. Sounds like your ready. DO IT!...........pose

Russ: Sorry for repeating you, we were typing at about the same time..he he..pose

[This message has been edited by loungelyzard (edited 01-20-2006).]

#216296 - 01/20/06 12:18 PM Re: New here, performance question.
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
GO FOR IT! You'll know right away if you have what it takes--your audiences will tell you in no uncertain terms. My best advice is to play music that folks can dance to. If they can't dance to it--don't play it. At least that has been my philosophy for as long as I can remember. Above all, be an entertainer--that's what the audiences are paying for.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online