SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#215670 - 06/03/07 03:59 AM Perform Song-More than once?
ricok987 Offline

Loc: N Brunswick, NJ, US
Do any of you get asked to play a song a second or third time during a performance, and do you do it? I think it is monotonous, but what do you do when it comes from the person who hired you, or someone that is very close to that person...I don't like to do it, but find myself doing it often. I even take it as a compliment to my music.

#215671 - 06/03/07 05:06 AM Re: Perform Song-More than once?
Dnj Offline

NEVER!!! I have a 1x rule ....
I never repeat any song period.
If the client wants it tell him to buy a freakin' Juke box! They need me, I dont need them...A pro can talk them into another song so that no one gets bored with repetativness...

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-03-2007).]

#215672 - 06/03/07 05:21 AM Re: Perform Song-More than once?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I don't like to...and most often won't. But there are exceptions. I might do it a repeat of a song I did in the first set later in the night during the 3rd or 4th set - but only if requested...and usually by someone who wasn't there when I did it the first time.

If it is a private party and the Host, (who is paying me) asks me to do it....you betcha...I do it.

Typically though, I don't do repeats.

$$$$ TALKS
Years ago I was playing in a marina-resort bar and there was a fella that had plenty to drink. He asked if I knew Tennessee Waltz. I said yes...and he handed me $20. About a half hour later he lays another $20 on the keyboard and asked for Tennessee Waltz. He got it. A while later, another $20 and another Tennessee Waltz. So far, $60 and counting for the repeat.

At the end of the night, before going into my goodnight routine...I asked if anyone wanted to hear the Tennessee Waltz again, and looked over his way. He was face down on the bar

Eddie

#215673 - 06/03/07 06:53 AM Re: Perform Song-More than once?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It depends on the denomination of the bill that accompanies the request, and the proximity to the last time you played the song....!

#215674 - 06/03/07 07:34 AM Re: Perform Song-More than once?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I did Ain't No Sunshine four times one night. At one hundred dollars a pop. The guy comes in about once a week, and it's always at least once with a repeat. I don't even do it very well.
I'm a whore. I can be bought.
One night a guy offered me $20. NOT to do it again, and I told him he was outbid!

DonM

#215675 - 06/03/07 09:29 AM Re: Perform Song-More than once?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I did Ain't No Sunshine four times one night. At one hundred dollars a pop. The guy comes in about once a week, and it's always at least once with a repeat. I don't even do it very well.
I'm a whore. I can be bought.
One night a guy offered me $20. NOT to do it again, and I told him he was outbid!

DonM

Don as always, the best advice and a good story to boot!
I also try not to repeat but I believe the guy paying the bill has the final say. If I have to repeat I'll make a joke out it, a little friendly banter with the audience or at least the one making the request. It helps to put everyone else at ease, to show I'm a friendly approachable guy and not inflexible.

Would you rather be asked to repeat or be background like we talked about in another post?

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 06-03-2007).]

#215676 - 06/03/07 12:27 PM Re: Perform Song-More than once?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ricok987:
Do any of you get asked to play a song a second or third time during a performance?

Depends. Did he shake his fist at you and demand that you "play it 'til you learn it"?

chas

#215677 - 06/04/07 01:42 PM Re: Perform Song-More than once?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
NEVER repeat a song; that is unless...

#215678 - 06/04/07 08:06 PM Re: Perform Song-More than once?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
NEVER say never...

#215679 - 06/04/07 08:21 PM Re: Perform Song-More than once?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I will play the song a second time if requested – but I announce that it has been requested again.

If I hate the song I can’t hear the guy.

John C.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online