SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#214823 - 01/01/05 09:19 PM Hows this for a sound system?
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Im doing a little bit of research for an amp for my KB. Im on a very strict budget, and cant spend more than 150$ Heres what im thinking, I found a 12inch speaker with a 4 by 10 horn cab by kustom for 60$ http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/600810/(80$ for 15inch) and Ill get a cheap pyle rackmount amp for 70$ http://www.x10.com/electronics/allcatego...le_PT-1200.html . Would that work and sound good for a small on stage venue? What else could you suggest on my budget?

Thanks,

Phil

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 01-01-2005).]

#214824 - 01/01/05 10:58 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I would do a search on SZ for the Logitech z2200 and it's replacement the z2300.

These are getting very good reviews and are 200 watts RMS where the Kustom shows 80 watts RMS.

When I started shopping speakers a few years ago, I was advized not to get Kustom PA gear by a salesman that had them for sale in his store!

My guess is those Kustoms can't be much to right home about for that kind of money.

Scott

#214825 - 01/01/05 11:21 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Pennywizz6 Offline

Thanks for the reply, howeer I dont think that those would keep up with me gigging. And i dont think that the satallites are big enough. I may be wrong, but thats my concerns with them.

I did somemore looking, and found these, http://www.gemsound.com/products_speakers-starter-main.html Could I run my 1/4 dirctly from my boad into these? Or will I need some sort of extra amp?

One other thingis I have a gift card for musicians friend, and have to use it.

Thanks,

Phil

#214826 - 01/02/05 02:38 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the Z2200/2300. Looks can be deceiving, especially on a tight budget. The long throw technology,coupled with the clarity of these satellites is surprising.

Bernie

#214827 - 01/02/05 04:08 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
I agree with Scott here.
For that kind of money I'd be very sceptical to their prformance. I'd also take those reviews with a grain of salt, you never know if that's paid/fake reviews.
You get what you pay for, (most times).

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#214828 - 01/02/05 08:14 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
For audiences of 80 or less people, the Z-2200/2300 will more than suffice. Many years ago Bose proved to the world that the size of the speaker is not what delivers--it's the technology used to drive those speakers, along with the advanced technology used in their construction. For nite-club jobs, parties and small venues to 80 people, the Z-2200/2300 is all that you'll need.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#214829 - 01/02/05 12:04 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Pennywizz6 Offline

Thanks for all the replys. I suppose your right about them, and most likely will be all that I need, the only downside is that they dont sell them on musicians freind.

How would a pair of medium sized monitors work?I found these that look quite decent. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/600604/ http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/609016/
(the Nady has pricematch, I found it elsewhere for 75...)

Thanks

Phil

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 01-02-2005).]

#214830 - 01/02/05 01:16 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
the do sell them (logitech)in comp USA for 99$.they'll ship it too.

#214831 - 01/02/05 01:27 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
travlin'easy Offline

Z-2300

Gary

Gary

#214832 - 01/02/05 02:15 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Guys.

I can’t believe my eyes. !!!!!

Those Logitech z2200 speakers you’re recommending are by a bloody long shot not suitable for Pennywizz6 who is planning on actually gigging with them.

The fact is that the Logitech z2200 are nothing more than dirt-cheap Desktop PC speakers directed at the PC market for uses who play Video Games and watch the odd DVD movie from time to time at “””HOME””””.

You guys are giving him extremely bad advice here. No way on earth are they suitable for what Pennywizz6 needs. To even suggest them madness.

For crying out loud Logitech make Desktop PC devices. Not Pro Audio or anything even close to entry-level speakers suitable for live performance.

His money would be better spent somewhere else on an Amp and a pair of 12” Speakers designed for live use.

Regards.
Sharp.

#214833 - 01/02/05 02:48 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Pennywizz6 Offline

Thanks Sharp, I appreciate your reply. Right now ive been getting mixed suggestions for my needs. The Logitech may sound good, but I dont think its for me.

Im stuck in a loop between studio monitors of a pair of 6.5inch, or a 12inch woofer w/ horn and having to get a cheap rackmount amp with that.

From what im getting from different sites, I dont need an amp to use studio monitors, id that correct? And I need a amp for cabs.

Kustom and Nady are pretty much the only two brand picks in my price range for a cab, and Id get a Pyle amp (Thats all I can afford).

I have a really crappy 6inch amp by crate, just for home use, It does get pretty loud and thats just a single 6inch speaker thats at 15watts. So two 6 1/2 midranges and tweeters at 120 watts should be enough.

Here are a few that im concidering, please let me know if they are suitable. http://www.nady.com/products/product_pgs/smmonitors_pg.html http://www.nady.com/products/product_pgs/prospeakers_pg1.html (it has 2 1/4 inputs, but ill still need an amp right?) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/600810/ http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/603140/

Thanks for all your input, your really helping me out.

Phil

#214834 - 01/02/05 03:13 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Irishacts Offline

Hi Pennywizz6.

Trust me. Do NOT buy the Logitech speakers. They are absolutely “”””NOT”””” suitable for live performance. I’m actually rather annoyed that people here recommended them to you because by hell is that bad advice.

They are nothing more than cheap Desktop PC speakers, so forget about them.

You have already picked out a good system above.
That pair of 12” heads you linked to above are full range (65Hz-20kHz) and rated at 80RMS/160 Peak.

On top of that you also located a Power Amp more than powerful for your needs. At 8ohm it’s still rated at 300Watt / Per Side which is far more power than the speakers could ever take. So in the future, you might need to change the speakers as you grow and move on to bigger gigs, but you won’t need to change the Power amp for a long time.

Only problem is your missing one item. You need a Mixing Desk if you plan on using a Power Amp. You can’t necessarily connect directly the Power Amp unless you’re an instrumentalist with no need for anything more than a stereo (two channel) signal. Even at that I wouldn’t recommend connecting directly to a Power Amp without a desk. Check out the Behringer’s range of small desks. Very good prices VS Sound Quality !!!.

As for the first new links you posted…..
No…stay well away from Studio monitors for gigging with. Studio monitors make it their business to reproduce a very very wide range signal that is of no use to you at life venue. All your doing is opening the speaker up to a lot of very low frequency sound that is of no use to you at a live venue. In the Studio Mastering they would be perfect, but for live work, you need a pair of full range speakers designed specifically for living work.

As for the second link you just posted….
YES !!!! Now your talking. This is by far more inline with what you need.
Thumbs up all the way !!!.

Moving on to your “new” third link….
Ok… it’s the same as the very first one you posted at the top of this thread. My advice is your money would be better spend on the second link you posted in your last post. They are by far more suitable for Power Amp you selected, and will be more than powerful enough to last you a very long time.

Regards.
Sharp.

#214835 - 01/02/05 04:18 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi Phil

I am curious which keyboard you have and in what kind of setting you are going to be playing in.

Is it that you have $150 gift certificate to spend at Musicians Friend only? Where you can shop and how much you have to spend may be a couple of prime factors for you right now.

I guess all of your specifics would help us to make suggestions.

I realize everyone here is trying to help. Some, just have a smoother way of doing it.

I would suggest taking the good advice offered here from the pro's that are doing it. Not just from someone who read some spec's someplace.

Sharp has made some interesting points, but I would be willing to bet he never heard nor tried any of the equipment being discussed in this thread.

I think if Sharp actually took the time to search under z2200 and z2300 here, he would see how many are playing out with the Logitechs and would change his tune a little, or at least his manner of expressing himself. He might even decide to see why so many people have bought them and like them.

Like everything else they're may not be for everybody, just as Korg products are not for me.

Peace
Scott

#214836 - 01/02/05 04:25 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
travlin'easy Offline

rust me. Do NOT buy the Logitech speakers. They are absolutely “”””NOT”””” suitable for live performance. I’m actually rather annoyed that people here recommended them to you because by hell is that bad advice.

They are nothing more than cheap Desktop PC speakers, so forget about them.

Obviously, you have never used or heard the Z-2200/2300 system. There are a relatively large contingent of pros out there using them and all have reported excellent results. They're using them night after night, and everyone that has used them also receives rave reviews from their audiences as well. Yes, they were designed for PC usage, however, there are lots of systems that were designed for music applications that are not suitable for entertainment applications. As I stated in my response, it's not the size of the speakers that count--it's what they sound like. Keep in mind that one of the most incredible systems available, the Bose PAS system, utilizes several tiny speakes contained within a sound colum. Ironically, those speakers are even smaller than the Logitech speakers.

The bottom line is let your ears be the judge--not the hyped specification sheets and graphic charts.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary

#214837 - 01/02/05 05:34 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Irishacts Offline

Hi Guys.

In all fairness, you got to be kidding me. These Logitech speakers your talking about are cheap $100 Desktop PC speakers that where designed for PC Gamers and those who like watching a DVD now and again at home on there PC.

If you’re actually trying to tell me that they are suitable for professional work or even a half ass effort at a gig, you really do have almighty low standards. I make no excuses for saying that either because this is such a joke and an insult to the guy your trying to push these Desktop Speakers upon.

I’m sorry if I sound like an ignorant ass, or someone completely insensitive, all I can say is I assure you that I’m not trying to cause any trouble here. I’m being deadly honest with you. Those Logitech speakers are by a bloody long way off being even remotely suitable for live performance regardless of what you think and I’m very annoyed that you have the nerve to even recommend them to anyone else.

For crying out loud the two speakers I have sitting in the back window of my car would do a better job by 10 fold, but you certainly won’t see me or anyone recommending to buy those for playing with because that would be completely stupid, just like I think it’s completely stupid to recommend a pair of PC Gamer speakers to Pennywizz6.

As for comparing BOSE to Logitech… now guys come on.
I could buy between 10 to 20 sets of those crap Logitech speakers for the same price as a single pair of Bose speakers here. That’s like comparing a kids Bicycle to a 1200CC CBR.

Regards.
Sharp.

#214838 - 01/02/05 05:44 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Pennywizz6 Offline

Thanks alot for taking the time to help me, Sharp!

Im going to go with a nady setup, I just dont think the logitech has the punch im looking for. This is what I plan on getting.

The Nady http://www.nady.com/products/product_pgs/prospeakers_pg1.html
or http://www.nady.com/products/product_pgs/prospeakers_pg4.html
Its 10$ cheaper, is there a reason why is cheaper?

And the Pyle Amp. Is it a must to use a mixer? I plan on plugging it directly from my Roland XP-60 to the amp, and using the KB's control.

Thanks!

Phil

#214839 - 01/02/05 05:54 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA

Be careful who you listen to. There are a few here who feel that in order for a system to sound good, it has to look good. I used to be one of these. The name acts I admired all had big honkin' stacks of speaker boxes behind them, so I went out and bought a couple carloads of the heavy stuff. Had lots of fun with 'em.

In the last few years I have been dumping the mega-boxes. My recording equipment is now so compact you can't even see it -- its in the computer. I have a box for vocals that fits in my hand. It replaces my mixers, effects and CD players for live gigs, and does it better than that heavy old rack ever did. My tiny little PA speakers sound way better than the 15-inch monsters ever did.

The people recomending the Logitech systems are speaking from experience. They use them to pay the rent. I don't think a professional musician give a more sincere endorsement than that.

Douglas Wolfe

#214840 - 01/02/05 06:09 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Irishacts Offline

Hi Pennywizz6.

The PS112 looks the business. 150 RMS Per side / 300 Programmed with a full range 12” Driver. Very Nice.

Quote:
Is it a must to use a mixer?

I would say yes. I would still highly recommend you pick up something like a mini Behringer desk. It will give better control all round.

Something simple like this would do…. !!!

This will give you 1 quality pre-amp for a Mic and 2 Stereo Channels for 2 keyboards, and a limited EQ that will help your overall sound.

Regards.
Sharp.

#214841 - 01/02/05 06:34 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Sharp...
I am intrigued by that little mixer.

Couple of questions which I have not been able to find an answer for:

1) It appears all the inputs are 1/4 inch jacks...no XRL?

2) I also can't find size dimensions. Is it small enough to sit on top of a keyboard?

Eddie

#214842 - 01/02/05 06:39 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hi Phil

I am curious which keyboard you have and in what kind of setting you are going to be playing in.

Is it that you have $150 gift certificate to spend at Musicians Friend only? Where you can shop and how much you have to spend may be a couple of prime factors for you right now.

I guess all of your specifics would help us to make suggestions.

I realize everyone here is trying to help. Some, just have a smoother way of doing it.

I would suggest taking the good advice offered here from the pro's that are doing it. Not just from someone who read some spec's someplace.

Sharp has made some interesting points, but I would be willing to bet he never heard nor tried any of the equipment being discussed in this thread.

I think if Sharp actually took the time to search under z2200 and z2300 here, he would see how many are playing out with the Logitechs and would change his tune a little, or at least his manner of expressing himself. He might even decide to see why so many people have bought them and like them.

Like everything else they're may not be for everybody, just as Korg products are not for me.

Peace
Scott

Scott...I must say that apart from being a musican, you are also a diplomat..your post was very well put...it does seem that Irishacts has not used nor has he heard the
Logitech in service...if he did, I'm sure he would agree that they work....I use the Logitech Z 680 which wa replaced by the Z5500
that Gary uses....you can't change folks minds if they are just not willing to give it a try..the thing is, We Know They Work!!!!

#214843 - 01/02/05 06:55 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Irishacts Offline

Hello btweengigs .

Quote:
1) It appears all the inputs are 1/4 inch jacks...no XRL?

It sure does, take a look at channel 1.

Quote:
2) I also can't find size dimensions. Is it small enough to sit on top of a keyboard?

It’s 2" thick, 5" wide, and 7" inch in length. So yes, it’s rather small.

Go to www.behringer.de for more info.
It’s the UB502 model.

Regards.
Sharp.

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 01-02-2005).]

#214844 - 01/02/05 07:01 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Pennywizz6 Offline

Eddie, the dimensions of that mixer is 1 5/6 inches high by 5 1/4 by 7inches

Its 35 bucks, I think its worth picking one up, I just need to raise some money!

Thanks,

Phil

(Sharp beat me to it haha)

#214845 - 01/02/05 07:23 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Sharp, Phil

Thanks for the info. It looks like the perfect solution to a problem I have been wrestling with.

Eddie

#214846 - 01/02/05 07:29 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
travlin'easy Offline

Here's the specs on the mixer:

EURORACK UB502
Ultra low-noise ULN design, highest possible headroom, ultra-transparent audio
1 new state-of-the-art, studio-grade IMP “Invisible” Mic Preamp with:
- 130 dB dynamic range for 24-bit, 192 kHz sampling rate inputs
- Ultra-wide 60 dB gain range
- Lowest possible distortion 0.0007% (20 Hz - 20 kHz)
Effective, extremely musical 2-band EQ and peak LED on mono channel
5 balanced high-headroom line inputs
State-of-the-art 4580 operational amplifiers provide lowest noise and distortion—better than 4560 op amps
Main mix outputs plus separate headphones and stereo tape outputs
Tape inputs assignable to main mix or phones outputs
High-quality sealed rotary controls from ALPS® for long-term reliability
External power supply for noise-free audio and superior transient response
Extremely rugged steel construction ensures long life even under the most demanding conditions
Conceived and designed by BEHRINGER Germany

Gary

#214847 - 01/02/05 07:35 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Pennywizz6 Offline

Sweet, thanks guys. Tomorrow im going to purchase the speaker and the mixer. And eventually get the amp. Ill let you know how it goes!

Phil

#214848 - 01/02/05 09:34 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Phil,

Just throwing this out based on your price range and you mentioned Musician's Friend.

A couple of speakers, 80Watt powered mixer with reverb, speaker cables....$159.

Click Here

-mike

#214849 - 01/02/05 09:39 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Scott Langholff Offline

I would strongly recommend the UB802 Behringer mixer. I bought mine for $41.00 and has Hi, Mid and Lo EQ on ALL channels, both mono AND stereo.
http://www.behringer.com/UB802/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 01-02-2005).]

#214850 - 01/02/05 10:08 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi all,
I have the Behringer Eurorack UB1002.
It is really excellent for the price. I have had mine a while now (about eighteen months I think) so I paid a little more than the price now.

According to Behringer's website the price for the UK is currently Ł47 (inc VAT) and the price for the USA is $69.99
Here is a pic....

Best wishes
Tony

#214851 - 01/02/05 10:40 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi Tony

Do you get any hum with your mixer? I seem to have some kind of a hum using it with my Tyros and JBL's.

Just curious, I may exchange it for the same model and see if it makes any difference.

Scott

#214852 - 01/02/05 10:50 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi Scott,
No I have not noticed any hum using this mixer with my Tyros. Then again I don't use it with speakers. I use the mixer to attach everything to and the route to the pc for recording.

I did initially think there was noise with the mixer but on investigation discovered I had messed up the settings on my Behringer Ultra Voice I put my mic through before sending the feed back to the Ty (so I can use the reverbs and VH) and then to the mixer. After I sorted that everything seemed fine.

I really can't recommend this little mixer highly enough for the money.

Best wishes
Tony

#214853 - 01/02/05 11:49 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
jamman Offline

first of all know this-rule of thumb-
"BUYING THE WRONG PA COULD BE ONE OF THE MOST EXPENSIVE MISTAKES OF YOUR LIFE."

if you have 100$ go for logitech.you can't get near flat FQ with sub for that price.yes it's made for home use but 200w rms and sound is OK (though mid range lacks) for KB only gigs with 50-70 people.you can't get better than it for the price.bass can be more than you want so you need over all EQ from the mixer.it's not for band music so one shouldnt compare it to a full blown pro PA.but it does great(for the price) for above use.

dont buy nady or kustom.they simply are (mostly) crap.

I also recommand Alesis 6 ch mixer(79$)which has efx.so no cables,seperate efx box,less set up time.under 150$ you'll have more options.

the better option than stand alone KB amps is
mixer with EFX and power speakers.that's the way to go.pwr speaker becomes your monitor when you update your system.

cheap,reasonable sound,heavy,loud for price- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/600596/

and better and lighter http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVPR110P http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVPR112P http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVPR115P

if your bdj is 350 t0 500$
http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=P410-805&CID=SYS1 - now 350$,has titanium drivers,mixer has both ch and graphic EQ,
beat the hell out of custom/nady which are mostly piezo crap(esply the cheap ones)
http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=P620-805&CID=SYS1
http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=P620-1230&CID=SYS1

if you want louder,cheaper
pwr mixer+speaker route like this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/631250/ http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/601372/ http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/601374/

but if you really want to have a good sound for the price,portable,great resale value and industry standard for medium grade live sound
have a mixer with efx and http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/600202/
and louder and more expensive http://www.zzounds.com/item--JBLEON15G2

or cheap ,but heavy for watt/weight ratio http://www.zzounds.com/item--JBLEON15P

go to wanted to buy and sell forum.UD is selling them for 250$ I think.good price.

if you have more http://www.musiciansbuy.com/live_sound_speaker_cabinets_yorkville_yorkville_elit e_powered.html

the list goes on.

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 01-03-2005).]

#214854 - 01/03/05 04:43 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
What I would say to Sharp in response to his tirades against Logitech systems is that most reasonable people would take the view that what really matters is not what things were originally designed for but whether they do the job that YOU want them to do.

I have more powerful amps and speakers which I have used in the past but for the last six months or so have used the Z2200's on all but one gig and like so many others on this forum have had nothing but positive comments from my audiences and most importantly the people who pay me.

AND, I don't work for Logitech nor, I am sure, do any other of the forum members who have found the Z2200 and other similar systems a joy to use.I would only add that a mixer is really needed to get the best results. I use an Alesis. I would just conclude by saying that anyone who spends silly sums of money to buy something for it's name when much less expensive kit will do the job just as well must have more money than sense.

Happy new year everyone
Trevor

#214855 - 01/03/05 04:47 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Pennywizz6 Offline

Jamman, thanks for the heads up on different setups, however like stated before, 150 bucks is about it, maybe 20 bucks more tops.

I dont think I stated this before and would make a difference is that im in a 5 piece band and everyone else has larger setups, making me practically in audible with a system such as the logitech.

Thanks,

Phil

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 01-03-2005).]

#214856 - 01/03/05 05:50 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The Logitech will not hold it's own in a 5 pc band. It CAN, however provide smooth response in a solo effort, as some members here have discovered. I often do not need much more than the on board speakers to satify some of my clients in smaller settings, like society cocktail parties and house parties. It all depends on the application. Just adding a sub can make all the difference in the world, so the to tiny tops just add to the mix.

#214857 - 01/03/05 08:23 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
After reading everyones opinion I must say that as with every post that I have come across in the past, everyone has different opinions. I never tried the Logitechs speakers but I do have the Klipse which are 400 watts and have actual tweeters. I'm sorry but Logitech speakers? Please! You guys must be playing at Old Folks homes to say that these speakers are what most of you use. For practice at home I would say yes but to play out, absolutely not. Are there no standards for professionals anymore?

#214858 - 01/03/05 03:37 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
Well, There's arrogance for you..........

#214859 - 01/03/05 04:52 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Pennywizz6 Offline

Trevor, are you saying synth guy is arrogant?... If so your mistaken, he is merely expressing his opinions on that particular system, granted he has never tried them, but he does show a point.

BTW, ordered my setup, should be here soon!

Phil

#214860 - 01/03/05 04:52 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Arrogance? Maybe the last sentence, but I think he's right.
I also think it depends on what kind of gigs you do. I could never get away with the Logitechs for most of my jobs. Dance music,and people want to feel the thump.
But for table music they're ok.

------------------
Roy-Andrč

[This message has been edited by royandreno (edited 01-03-2005).]

#214861 - 01/03/05 06:01 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Have you noticed that the guys who are knocking the Logitechs are the ones who haven't tried them? It was long thought that the earth was flat until somebody decided to check it out a little further.
I have two of the finest powered speakers available, the Barbetta Sona 32Cs, yet for many of the small jobs I used the Logitech Z2200. If I don't sound good, I don't work, and my family has to move out of our home on the golf course, and the kids have to drop out of school and get jobs. . . well perhaps that's stretching it, but you get the idea. I don't have to use the Logitechs because I can't afford anything better. Neither does Gary or any of the guys who use them.
They are certainly not suitable for many large jobs, or for a 5-piece band, but that are great for certain circumstances.
DonM

#214862 - 01/03/05 06:02 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I again have enjoyed the pissing contest, thanks for the lift.

#214863 - 01/03/05 06:55 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Pennywizz6:
granted he has never tried them, but he does show a point.

And what point is that?

#214864 - 01/03/05 07:14 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Arrogance! Dear friends, everyone here has a right to voice their opinion. I do not own the logitech speakers, nor would I buy such a ridiculous set up. First of all, if it does sound fine for small venues and it works for you than more power to you, but again I say to you, where do we draw the line? PC speakers for a pro? It makes me question what the definition of a Pro is, now adays. Pros use pro gear "again what ever works for you", if there are no standards then that just makes it easy for these small party organizers to start hiring anyone with some midis and a so so voice for $50-$100 a gig. Trust me, people base your Pro status on your appearance "yes, that means your equipment", when they see visible equipment,obviously it has to sound good as well; they say, this guy must be good and must stay busy to have equipment like this. Look successful and be successful. Then again with the logitechs I'm sure the tip bucket gets more action. So I thank all of those that are making it easier for guys like me to charge more and get the high end gigs because if a club owner is visiting his parent and sees those logitechs he'll automatically think this guy is a hobbiest even though he might like your performance.

[This message has been edited by SYNTH_GUY (edited 01-03-2005).]

#214865 - 01/03/05 08:39 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
travlin'easy Offline

I find this absolutely amazing. Synth_Guy has defined the meaning of a professional musician to the rest of the world by proclaining that if you spend lots of money on equipment, you must really be talented. Does this mean if we all spend millions on our systems that we will be overwhelmed by phone calls from people that wish to spend huge sums of money just to hear us perform? I'm sure that if we were to stack huge, expensive speakers on top of each other, then fire a 35,000 watt system through them, the pubs, restaurants, bars, ballrooms, etc would just bring in money by the bushel and dump it at our feet. Wow! I guess I better spend more money instead of dumping it in the bank.

Then we have a couple instant experts on audio equipment, individuals that have never seen, heard or touched a particular piece of equipment, but can miraculously rate that equipment's sound quality. "Yep, it can't possibly do the job, mainly because I said so. So what if I've never used it. I can use a bunch of adjectives to describe it and that makes me right! So what if I don't have any experience, credentials, of have even worked in a recording studio, I'm still right and the rest of the world is wrong--even though they have been in the business for longer than I have been alive." Yep, instant experts seem to be coming out of the woodwork these days. What's next? Guess they'll be on the neurosurgery BBS telling surgeons how to do a frontal lobotomy using a gold-plated scapel. Hey, it must be better--it's gold plated!

I'm outa' here!

#214866 - 01/03/05 10:22 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I find this absolutely amazing. Synth_Guy has defined the meaning of a professional musician to the rest of the world by proclaining that if you spend lots of money on equipment, you must really be talented. Does this mean if we all spend millions on our systems that we will be overwhelmed by phone calls from people that wish to spend huge sums of money just to hear us perform? I'm sure that if we were to stack huge, expensive speakers on top of each other, then fire a 35,000 watt system through them, the pubs, restaurants, bars, ballrooms, etc would just bring in money by the bushel and dump it at our feet. Wow! I guess I better spend more money instead of dumping it in the bank.

Then we have a couple instant experts on audio equipment, individuals that have never seen, heard or touched a particular piece of equipment, but can miraculously rate that equipment's sound quality. "Yep, it can't possibly do the job, mainly because I said so. So what if I've never used it. I can use a bunch of adjectives to describe it and that makes me right! So what if I don't have any experience, credentials, of have even worked in a recording studio, I'm still right and the rest of the world is wrong--even though they have been in the business for longer than I have been alive." Yep, instant experts seem to be coming out of the woodwork these days. What's next? Guess they'll be on the neurosurgery BBS telling surgeons how to do a frontal lobotomy using a gold-plated scapel. Hey, it must be better--it's gold plated!

I'm outa' here!

Why all the anger, did you get offended? It is just my opinion. I think you came to the wrong conclusion. I happen to play for crowds of no less than 500+ in a live band, although I do promotional work solo. I did not mean to offend anyone, just that I feel that one should draw the line somewhere when it comes to saving money on equipment. If your gigs only pay a hundred or two than I can relate to someone using PC speakers for live performance. Where did you come to the conclusion that I am telling people what they should do and "without credentials", you are so wrong but I don't need to prove anything. Who knows, you may even be a fan. Don't get angry over comments that are made here, and don't assume things. By the way my system doesn't cost 35k.

#214867 - 01/03/05 10:33 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
to the genesys Offline

One thing about “professionals” and “professionalism,” is that looks, appearance and perception matters a lot.

In the music business, one thing I have learned is never sell your image cheap because that is how people will perceive you and probably pay you. That applies to the way you dress on a gig, the way you act on a gig both on and off stage, the way you act to management or patrons, and the equipment you use.

TTG

#214868 - 01/03/05 11:06 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
I have four PA systems - a 600 watt one for larger venues, a Motion Sound stereo amp for mid-size ones, a mono Peavey KB300 (my old workhorse) and a couple of sets of Yamaha YST-MS50 (80 watts) for the more intimate private affairs of up to 50 people, usually at the private (but very upscale homes). I find that the Yamaha (computer) speakers are more appropriate for many occasions than the Motion Sound amp. Sure, it is built more sturdily, but I could have bought 10 MS50s for the price of the Motion Sound, and IMO it certainly does not sound 10x better, if at all.

If the appearance was the determining factor for professionalism, I would say that there is NOTHING new which costs $50 AND looks professional. In fact, my advice to Phil would be to look on E-bay for a used Peavey KB300 or KB300A amp - he may get it for $150, and they provide enough volume to cut through the sound of the rest of the band. It is big and heavy, but it does look professional and is quite roadworthy. It is not stereo (only mono), but neither is any other suggestion made here, save for the Logitechs.

As for some of the posts above ripping "comuter" speakers - I do think that when someone tries to give advice about something they have not tried, that is bad advice.

It may seem counterintuitive to someone that "computer" speakers may work well for certain/many types of gigs. Nonetheless, the majority of people in this forum have also parted with the notion that arranger keyboards are less than professional instruments.

#214869 - 01/04/05 01:05 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
jamman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Pennywizz6:
Jamman, thanks for the heads up on different setups, however like stated before, 150 bucks is about it, maybe 20 bucks more tops.

I dont think I stated this before and would make a difference is that im in a 5 piece band and everyone else has larger setups, making me practically in audible with a system such as the logitech.

Thanks,

Phil

if you are in a live band (drums and bass gtr)you can't use logitech.
why not a powered KB amp?but you still need like 100-150$ for it.

but still
my 1st recom- will be a used 15 inch eon(1st gen) which is around 200$.
I think uncle dave in selling one.that's the best for the money and (you can use it and sell it back easily like a Toyota Camry

#214870 - 01/04/05 04:09 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yep-per ! UD has 2 eons left ..... $250 each ! Bought new in mid October ... balance of the warrentee available !
215-284-1328

#214871 - 01/04/05 08:38 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I bought the small Nady 160 watt 4-channel self-contained head and two of the 12" Nady speakers you're looking at for my 13 year old grandson's band. The head was $119.99 and the speakers (300 w capacity) were $69.00
from Musicians friend. Not the greatest quality, but the head has delay and the system sounds great.

I ordered a second head a week later as a back-up and have used it for sa few small jobs. A great value!

Russ

#214872 - 01/04/05 10:09 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
having been on this site for a few years now, i have never known anyone to give purposely bad advice,with all recomendations it is nearly always stated to try it for yourself,i remember when the conversation came up about the logitech,s Z2200 and most of us had the same impression as to their suitability,and then gary took the initiative to try them out on one of his gigs,and due to his response (maybe others should read it)because a lot of people have a lot of respect for what gary said ,they tried them out also,the only negative feed back i have heard from most who bought them was initially advice to set them up to get their best performance from them(as also the Z5500)as i have said many times in the past i would rather trust advice from good genuine people from this site(dealers included) than go into a store and rely on advice from a salesman who may not know a lot but is only interested in his commision,mike

#214873 - 01/04/05 10:59 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA
>>> T-EZ: Yep, instant experts seem to be coming out of the woodwork these days. What's next? Guess they'll be on the neurosurgery BBS telling surgeons how to do a frontal lobotomy using a gold-plated scapel. Hey, it must be better--it's gold plated! <<<<<<

Actually, titanium is the way to go. A client of mine owns a fly-fishing store. He likes to joke about how his customers will buy anything as long as its made out of titanium. Then I spent some time watching the actual behavior of his customers and I discovered that he was not really joking. He has knives, tackle boxes and all kinds of gadgets in both titanium and in conventional materials. The titanium far outsells the other stuff. And to make it even funniers, most of his customers actually are doctors and surgeons.

Douglas Wolfe

#214874 - 01/04/05 11:02 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
DonM Offline

I deleted my post, not because it wasn't true, but after reading it today, it seemed unnecessarily inflammatory.
I only hope people will refrain from judging equipment they haven't used, or at least heard.
DonM

#214875 - 01/04/05 11:11 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
SYNTH_GUY Offline

It seems that some members are insulted by what I wrote, even though it is just my opinion and there was no intention to insult anyone. My apologies! As far as never having tried the Logitechs, I do have the klipse PC speakers that are 400watts, superior speakers to the logitechs, so I do have a reference to base my opinion on. As far as the comment someone made of I trying to be above the rest; I beleive I didn't say anything for someone to assume such a thing. I was just giving my opinion based on my experiences in the music world I live in. We all are out there doing something we love and the rewards are greater than we sometimes acknowledge. To please people, put a smile on their face, being the center of attention, feeling proud of yourself and making money at the same time. Does it get any better? Lets stop trying to make this a competition of who's who and so on and get back to what this forum is really about and that is helping each other on our musical journey. As far as being new as someone mentioned, does that really matter? Besides, I have been involved with this forum for a very long time...

#214876 - 01/04/05 11:12 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
DonM
I hope so too. By the way, I use my Z2200 with my kn7000 in a 20 pc band, and have enough volume and no distortion. Amazing ?

Bernie

#214877 - 01/04/05 11:25 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
DonM Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SYNTH_GUY:
It seems that some members are insulted by what I wrote, even though it is just my opinion and there was no intention to insult anyone. My apologies! As far as never having tried the Logitechs, I do have the klipse PC speakers that are 400watts, superior speakers to the logitechs, so I do have a reference to base my opinion on. As far as the comment someone made of I trying to be above the rest; I beleive I didn't say anything for someone to assume such a thing. I was just giving my opinion based on my experiences in the music world I live in. We all are out there doing something we love and the rewards are greater than we sometimes acknowledge. To please people, put a smile on their face, being the center of attention, feeling proud of yourself and making money at the same time. Does it get any better? Lets stop trying to make this a competition of who's who and so on and get back to what this forum is really about and that is helping each other on our musical journey. As far as being new as someone mentioned, does that really matter? Besides, I have been involved with this forum for a very long time...

I deleted my post already because I felt it was out of line. I probably misinterpreted what you said.
I'd still like to hear some music from you though!
Peace,
DonM

#214878 - 01/05/05 01:58 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Exound Offline

Loc: Hoorn, Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by SYNTH_GUY:
As far as never having tried the Logitechs, I do have the klipse PC speakers that are 400watts, superior speakers to the logitechs, so I do have a reference to base my opinion on.

Synth-Guy why do you think Klipsch is superior to Logitech? Only because it's Logitech?
You've never heard or tried the Z-2200.
The Z-2200 are the same speakers as Alesis use for ProActive 5.1 ...look for yourself
alesis
I use the z-2200 only at home (not for gigs) but I can tell you that they sound great and...loud.
Jan

#214879 - 01/05/05 12:19 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Exound:
Synth-Guy why do you think Klipsch is superior to Logitech? Only because it's Logitech?
You've never heard or tried the Z-2200.
The Z-2200 are the same speakers as Alesis use for ProActive 5.1 ...look for yourself
alesis
I use the z-2200 only at home (not for gigs) but I can tell you that they sound great and...loud.
Jan

Look up the specs on the Klipse thx speakers, satelites w/ actual tweeters and double 8" woofers, vs the logtitechs, YOU BE THE JUDGE!

#214880 - 01/05/05 01:17 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Yep appearences do matter when playing professionally. When people say "All that sound is coming from those little speakers?" I tell them that they are state of the art and they cost me a bundle but they are worth it.

Tom

#214881 - 01/05/05 01:32 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Nice slugfest, guys... more excitement here than last night's game. What a disappointment that was.

#214882 - 01/05/05 06:24 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
DonM Offline

Wasn't a disappointment for me! I won quite a large (for me) wager. Oklahoma wouldn't finish in the top half of the SEC. And I'm from Oklahoma.
DonM

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online