SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#214863 - 01/03/05 06:55 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Pennywizz6:
granted he has never tried them, but he does show a point.

And what point is that?

#214864 - 01/03/05 07:14 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
Arrogance! Dear friends, everyone here has a right to voice their opinion. I do not own the logitech speakers, nor would I buy such a ridiculous set up. First of all, if it does sound fine for small venues and it works for you than more power to you, but again I say to you, where do we draw the line? PC speakers for a pro? It makes me question what the definition of a Pro is, now adays. Pros use pro gear "again what ever works for you", if there are no standards then that just makes it easy for these small party organizers to start hiring anyone with some midis and a so so voice for $50-$100 a gig. Trust me, people base your Pro status on your appearance "yes, that means your equipment", when they see visible equipment,obviously it has to sound good as well; they say, this guy must be good and must stay busy to have equipment like this. Look successful and be successful. Then again with the logitechs I'm sure the tip bucket gets more action. So I thank all of those that are making it easier for guys like me to charge more and get the high end gigs because if a club owner is visiting his parent and sees those logitechs he'll automatically think this guy is a hobbiest even though he might like your performance.

[This message has been edited by SYNTH_GUY (edited 01-03-2005).]

#214865 - 01/03/05 08:39 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I find this absolutely amazing. Synth_Guy has defined the meaning of a professional musician to the rest of the world by proclaining that if you spend lots of money on equipment, you must really be talented. Does this mean if we all spend millions on our systems that we will be overwhelmed by phone calls from people that wish to spend huge sums of money just to hear us perform? I'm sure that if we were to stack huge, expensive speakers on top of each other, then fire a 35,000 watt system through them, the pubs, restaurants, bars, ballrooms, etc would just bring in money by the bushel and dump it at our feet. Wow! I guess I better spend more money instead of dumping it in the bank.

Then we have a couple instant experts on audio equipment, individuals that have never seen, heard or touched a particular piece of equipment, but can miraculously rate that equipment's sound quality. "Yep, it can't possibly do the job, mainly because I said so. So what if I've never used it. I can use a bunch of adjectives to describe it and that makes me right! So what if I don't have any experience, credentials, of have even worked in a recording studio, I'm still right and the rest of the world is wrong--even though they have been in the business for longer than I have been alive." Yep, instant experts seem to be coming out of the woodwork these days. What's next? Guess they'll be on the neurosurgery BBS telling surgeons how to do a frontal lobotomy using a gold-plated scapel. Hey, it must be better--it's gold plated!

I'm outa' here!

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#214866 - 01/03/05 10:22 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I find this absolutely amazing. Synth_Guy has defined the meaning of a professional musician to the rest of the world by proclaining that if you spend lots of money on equipment, you must really be talented. Does this mean if we all spend millions on our systems that we will be overwhelmed by phone calls from people that wish to spend huge sums of money just to hear us perform? I'm sure that if we were to stack huge, expensive speakers on top of each other, then fire a 35,000 watt system through them, the pubs, restaurants, bars, ballrooms, etc would just bring in money by the bushel and dump it at our feet. Wow! I guess I better spend more money instead of dumping it in the bank.

Then we have a couple instant experts on audio equipment, individuals that have never seen, heard or touched a particular piece of equipment, but can miraculously rate that equipment's sound quality. "Yep, it can't possibly do the job, mainly because I said so. So what if I've never used it. I can use a bunch of adjectives to describe it and that makes me right! So what if I don't have any experience, credentials, of have even worked in a recording studio, I'm still right and the rest of the world is wrong--even though they have been in the business for longer than I have been alive." Yep, instant experts seem to be coming out of the woodwork these days. What's next? Guess they'll be on the neurosurgery BBS telling surgeons how to do a frontal lobotomy using a gold-plated scapel. Hey, it must be better--it's gold plated!

I'm outa' here!

Why all the anger, did you get offended? It is just my opinion. I think you came to the wrong conclusion. I happen to play for crowds of no less than 500+ in a live band, although I do promotional work solo. I did not mean to offend anyone, just that I feel that one should draw the line somewhere when it comes to saving money on equipment. If your gigs only pay a hundred or two than I can relate to someone using PC speakers for live performance. Where did you come to the conclusion that I am telling people what they should do and "without credentials", you are so wrong but I don't need to prove anything. Who knows, you may even be a fan. Don't get angry over comments that are made here, and don't assume things. By the way my system doesn't cost 35k.

#214867 - 01/03/05 10:33 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
to the genesys Offline

One thing about “professionals” and “professionalism,” is that looks, appearance and perception matters a lot.

In the music business, one thing I have learned is never sell your image cheap because that is how people will perceive you and probably pay you. That applies to the way you dress on a gig, the way you act on a gig both on and off stage, the way you act to management or patrons, and the equipment you use.

TTG

#214868 - 01/03/05 11:06 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
I have four PA systems - a 600 watt one for larger venues, a Motion Sound stereo amp for mid-size ones, a mono Peavey KB300 (my old workhorse) and a couple of sets of Yamaha YST-MS50 (80 watts) for the more intimate private affairs of up to 50 people, usually at the private (but very upscale homes). I find that the Yamaha (computer) speakers are more appropriate for many occasions than the Motion Sound amp. Sure, it is built more sturdily, but I could have bought 10 MS50s for the price of the Motion Sound, and IMO it certainly does not sound 10x better, if at all.

If the appearance was the determining factor for professionalism, I would say that there is NOTHING new which costs $50 AND looks professional. In fact, my advice to Phil would be to look on E-bay for a used Peavey KB300 or KB300A amp - he may get it for $150, and they provide enough volume to cut through the sound of the rest of the band. It is big and heavy, but it does look professional and is quite roadworthy. It is not stereo (only mono), but neither is any other suggestion made here, save for the Logitechs.

As for some of the posts above ripping "comuter" speakers - I do think that when someone tries to give advice about something they have not tried, that is bad advice.

It may seem counterintuitive to someone that "computer" speakers may work well for certain/many types of gigs. Nonetheless, the majority of people in this forum have also parted with the notion that arranger keyboards are less than professional instruments.

#214869 - 01/04/05 01:05 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by Pennywizz6:
Jamman, thanks for the heads up on different setups, however like stated before, 150 bucks is about it, maybe 20 bucks more tops.

I dont think I stated this before and would make a difference is that im in a 5 piece band and everyone else has larger setups, making me practically in audible with a system such as the logitech.

Thanks,

Phil

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 01-03-2005).]

if you are in a live band (drums and bass gtr)you can't use logitech.
why not a powered KB amp?but you still need like 100-150$ for it.

but still
my 1st recom- will be a used 15 inch eon(1st gen) which is around 200$.
I think uncle dave in selling one.that's the best for the money and (you can use it and sell it back easily like a Toyota Camry

#214870 - 01/04/05 04:09 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yep-per ! UD has 2 eons left ..... $250 each ! Bought new in mid October ... balance of the warrentee available !
215-284-1328

#214871 - 01/04/05 08:38 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I bought the small Nady 160 watt 4-channel self-contained head and two of the 12" Nady speakers you're looking at for my 13 year old grandson's band. The head was $119.99 and the speakers (300 w capacity) were $69.00
from Musicians friend. Not the greatest quality, but the head has delay and the system sounds great.

I ordered a second head a week later as a back-up and have used it for sa few small jobs. A great value!

Russ

#214872 - 01/04/05 10:09 AM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
having been on this site for a few years now, i have never known anyone to give purposely bad advice,with all recomendations it is nearly always stated to try it for yourself,i remember when the conversation came up about the logitech,s Z2200 and most of us had the same impression as to their suitability,and then gary took the initiative to try them out on one of his gigs,and due to his response (maybe others should read it)because a lot of people have a lot of respect for what gary said ,they tried them out also,the only negative feed back i have heard from most who bought them was initially advice to set them up to get their best performance from them(as also the Z5500)as i have said many times in the past i would rather trust advice from good genuine people from this site(dealers included) than go into a store and rely on advice from a salesman who may not know a lot but is only interested in his commision,mike

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online