SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#214833 - 01/02/05 02:48 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Thanks Sharp, I appreciate your reply. Right now ive been getting mixed suggestions for my needs. The Logitech may sound good, but I dont think its for me.

Im stuck in a loop between studio monitors of a pair of 6.5inch, or a 12inch woofer w/ horn and having to get a cheap rackmount amp with that.

From what im getting from different sites, I dont need an amp to use studio monitors, id that correct? And I need a amp for cabs.

Kustom and Nady are pretty much the only two brand picks in my price range for a cab, and Id get a Pyle amp (Thats all I can afford).

I have a really crappy 6inch amp by crate, just for home use, It does get pretty loud and thats just a single 6inch speaker thats at 15watts. So two 6 1/2 midranges and tweeters at 120 watts should be enough.

Here are a few that im concidering, please let me know if they are suitable. http://www.nady.com/products/product_pgs/smmonitors_pg.html http://www.nady.com/products/product_pgs/prospeakers_pg1.html (it has 2 1/4 inputs, but ill still need an amp right?) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/600810/ http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/603140/

Thanks for all your input, your really helping me out.

Phil

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 01-02-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 01-02-2005).]

#214834 - 01/02/05 03:13 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Pennywizz6.

Trust me. Do NOT buy the Logitech speakers. They are absolutely “”””NOT”””” suitable for live performance. I’m actually rather annoyed that people here recommended them to you because by hell is that bad advice.

They are nothing more than cheap Desktop PC speakers, so forget about them.

You have already picked out a good system above.
That pair of 12” heads you linked to above are full range (65Hz-20kHz) and rated at 80RMS/160 Peak.

On top of that you also located a Power Amp more than powerful for your needs. At 8ohm it’s still rated at 300Watt / Per Side which is far more power than the speakers could ever take. So in the future, you might need to change the speakers as you grow and move on to bigger gigs, but you won’t need to change the Power amp for a long time.

Only problem is your missing one item. You need a Mixing Desk if you plan on using a Power Amp. You can’t necessarily connect directly the Power Amp unless you’re an instrumentalist with no need for anything more than a stereo (two channel) signal. Even at that I wouldn’t recommend connecting directly to a Power Amp without a desk. Check out the Behringer’s range of small desks. Very good prices VS Sound Quality !!!.

As for the first new links you posted…..
No…stay well away from Studio monitors for gigging with. Studio monitors make it their business to reproduce a very very wide range signal that is of no use to you at life venue. All your doing is opening the speaker up to a lot of very low frequency sound that is of no use to you at a live venue. In the Studio Mastering they would be perfect, but for live work, you need a pair of full range speakers designed specifically for living work.

As for the second link you just posted….
YES !!!! Now your talking. This is by far more inline with what you need.
Thumbs up all the way !!!.

Moving on to your “new” third link….
Ok… it’s the same as the very first one you posted at the top of this thread. My advice is your money would be better spend on the second link you posted in your last post. They are by far more suitable for Power Amp you selected, and will be more than powerful enough to last you a very long time.

Regards.
Sharp.

#214835 - 01/02/05 04:18 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Phil

I am curious which keyboard you have and in what kind of setting you are going to be playing in.

Is it that you have $150 gift certificate to spend at Musicians Friend only? Where you can shop and how much you have to spend may be a couple of prime factors for you right now.

I guess all of your specifics would help us to make suggestions.

I realize everyone here is trying to help. Some, just have a smoother way of doing it.

I would suggest taking the good advice offered here from the pro's that are doing it. Not just from someone who read some spec's someplace.

Sharp has made some interesting points, but I would be willing to bet he never heard nor tried any of the equipment being discussed in this thread.

I think if Sharp actually took the time to search under z2200 and z2300 here, he would see how many are playing out with the Logitechs and would change his tune a little, or at least his manner of expressing himself. He might even decide to see why so many people have bought them and like them.

Like everything else they're may not be for everybody, just as Korg products are not for me.

Peace
Scott

#214836 - 01/02/05 04:25 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
rust me. Do NOT buy the Logitech speakers. They are absolutely “”””NOT”””” suitable for live performance. I’m actually rather annoyed that people here recommended them to you because by hell is that bad advice.

They are nothing more than cheap Desktop PC speakers, so forget about them.

Obviously, you have never used or heard the Z-2200/2300 system. There are a relatively large contingent of pros out there using them and all have reported excellent results. They're using them night after night, and everyone that has used them also receives rave reviews from their audiences as well. Yes, they were designed for PC usage, however, there are lots of systems that were designed for music applications that are not suitable for entertainment applications. As I stated in my response, it's not the size of the speakers that count--it's what they sound like. Keep in mind that one of the most incredible systems available, the Bose PAS system, utilizes several tiny speakes contained within a sound colum. Ironically, those speakers are even smaller than the Logitech speakers.

The bottom line is let your ears be the judge--not the hyped specification sheets and graphic charts.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#214837 - 01/02/05 05:34 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Irishacts Offline

Hi Guys.

In all fairness, you got to be kidding me. These Logitech speakers your talking about are cheap $100 Desktop PC speakers that where designed for PC Gamers and those who like watching a DVD now and again at home on there PC.

If you’re actually trying to tell me that they are suitable for professional work or even a half ass effort at a gig, you really do have almighty low standards. I make no excuses for saying that either because this is such a joke and an insult to the guy your trying to push these Desktop Speakers upon.

I’m sorry if I sound like an ignorant ass, or someone completely insensitive, all I can say is I assure you that I’m not trying to cause any trouble here. I’m being deadly honest with you. Those Logitech speakers are by a bloody long way off being even remotely suitable for live performance regardless of what you think and I’m very annoyed that you have the nerve to even recommend them to anyone else.

For crying out loud the two speakers I have sitting in the back window of my car would do a better job by 10 fold, but you certainly won’t see me or anyone recommending to buy those for playing with because that would be completely stupid, just like I think it’s completely stupid to recommend a pair of PC Gamer speakers to Pennywizz6.

As for comparing BOSE to Logitech… now guys come on.
I could buy between 10 to 20 sets of those crap Logitech speakers for the same price as a single pair of Bose speakers here. That’s like comparing a kids Bicycle to a 1200CC CBR.

Regards.
Sharp.

#214838 - 01/02/05 05:44 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Thanks alot for taking the time to help me, Sharp!

Im going to go with a nady setup, I just dont think the logitech has the punch im looking for. This is what I plan on getting.

The Nady http://www.nady.com/products/product_pgs/prospeakers_pg1.html
or http://www.nady.com/products/product_pgs/prospeakers_pg4.html
Its 10$ cheaper, is there a reason why is cheaper?

And the Pyle Amp. Is it a must to use a mixer? I plan on plugging it directly from my Roland XP-60 to the amp, and using the KB's control.

Thanks!

Phil

#214839 - 01/02/05 05:54 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA

Be careful who you listen to. There are a few here who feel that in order for a system to sound good, it has to look good. I used to be one of these. The name acts I admired all had big honkin' stacks of speaker boxes behind them, so I went out and bought a couple carloads of the heavy stuff. Had lots of fun with 'em.

In the last few years I have been dumping the mega-boxes. My recording equipment is now so compact you can't even see it -- its in the computer. I have a box for vocals that fits in my hand. It replaces my mixers, effects and CD players for live gigs, and does it better than that heavy old rack ever did. My tiny little PA speakers sound way better than the 15-inch monsters ever did.

The people recomending the Logitech systems are speaking from experience. They use them to pay the rent. I don't think a professional musician give a more sincere endorsement than that.

Douglas Wolfe

#214840 - 01/02/05 06:09 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Irishacts Offline

Hi Pennywizz6.

The PS112 looks the business. 150 RMS Per side / 300 Programmed with a full range 12” Driver. Very Nice.

Quote:
Is it a must to use a mixer?

I would say yes. I would still highly recommend you pick up something like a mini Behringer desk. It will give better control all round.

Something simple like this would do…. !!!

This will give you 1 quality pre-amp for a Mic and 2 Stereo Channels for 2 keyboards, and a limited EQ that will help your overall sound.

Regards.
Sharp.

#214841 - 01/02/05 06:34 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Sharp...
I am intrigued by that little mixer.

Couple of questions which I have not been able to find an answer for:

1) It appears all the inputs are 1/4 inch jacks...no XRL?

2) I also can't find size dimensions. Is it small enough to sit on top of a keyboard?

Eddie

#214842 - 01/02/05 06:39 PM Re: Hows this for a sound system?
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hi Phil

I am curious which keyboard you have and in what kind of setting you are going to be playing in.

Is it that you have $150 gift certificate to spend at Musicians Friend only? Where you can shop and how much you have to spend may be a couple of prime factors for you right now.

I guess all of your specifics would help us to make suggestions.

I realize everyone here is trying to help. Some, just have a smoother way of doing it.

I would suggest taking the good advice offered here from the pro's that are doing it. Not just from someone who read some spec's someplace.

Sharp has made some interesting points, but I would be willing to bet he never heard nor tried any of the equipment being discussed in this thread.

I think if Sharp actually took the time to search under z2200 and z2300 here, he would see how many are playing out with the Logitechs and would change his tune a little, or at least his manner of expressing himself. He might even decide to see why so many people have bought them and like them.

Like everything else they're may not be for everybody, just as Korg products are not for me.

Peace
Scott

Scott...I must say that apart from being a musican, you are also a diplomat..your post was very well put...it does seem that Irishacts has not used nor has he heard the
Logitech in service...if he did, I'm sure he would agree that they work....I use the Logitech Z 680 which wa replaced by the Z5500
that Gary uses....you can't change folks minds if they are just not willing to give it a try..the thing is, We Know They Work!!!!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online