SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#213783 - 07/21/05 05:07 PM Re: Wanta buy a Laptop???
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Hopefully my laptop saga is over.

I just purchased one off of Ebay after checking out almost a thousand units that sifted down from over 10 thousand on the start. (Now that's pinch'in pennies)

Ended up with a Dell latitude CPX
Pent 3
20gig HD
Floppy drive
CD-rom
loaded with all the goodies plus XP-pro and microsoft Office
A new battery and a new leather carrying case.
Seller had great feedbacks, so hopefully I've made a good deal. Out the door encluding shipping $300 smackers.

You guys are great, been very helpful and each suggestion steared me to end up a happy camper. (With a monitor for my board on my Birthday!)............

THANKS GUYS.........Pose

#213784 - 07/21/05 05:54 PM Re: Wanta buy a Laptop???
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Just two things I noticed - 20 gig HD is OK if all you ever do is save lyrics. If you later want to save midi or mp3 files, you'll want to upgrade in time. Also, the CD ROM drive will not permit you to save to disk. That would be a biggie for me, but maybe you can continue to use floppies or USB thumbdrive (it does have USB, right).

#213785 - 07/21/05 07:37 PM Re: Wanta buy a Laptop???
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Casp,

20 Gigs is a lot of space, especially if your computer is not clutterd with junk programs that eat up huge chunks of hard drive. Microsoft Works, or MS Word, both of which are good word processors, are relatively small programs. You can put a zillion midi files in a single gig, lyrics take up about the same amount of space, and most MP3s only occupy a couple megs at most.

My giging laptop only has 10 gigs of space and I'm only using 3 gigs for everything--including Windows. It's just a matter of priortizing and using only programs that are intended for performing on the job. Leave all the other stuff on your desktop.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#213786 - 07/21/05 08:48 PM Re: Wanta buy a Laptop???
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Cassp:
So far I've never used midi's for anything but swapping tunes back and forward on the svp world, or collecting styles. any good styles collected I have on the hard drive of my 9000, and maybe a few thousand styles that need to be gone thru and weeded down to add to the HD.
I've got a 8 gig Hd and its got a lot on it and I think there's about 1/8th of a gig on one partition.
The only regret is I did'nt get a burner with the computer, but I have one on the output of my Behringer mixer.

Also I have a dell desktop that has everything thats just off the music room, that I can use for editing files or burning copies etc. and surfing the net etc.

My next big project is to get my act in order and get lyrics to all my songs and get the songs in a decent library in my regs.(they're scattered everwhere) and get the HD reorganized and every style thats going to be in registration renamed and in folders in partition2 of the hard drive.
I guess I've been holding back thinking I may end up with a tyros II, But I love this 9000 and would not trade it for a Ty 1 but the price of the 3000 is very tempting. and after 3 years the 9000 is getting to be a problem for the weight. 3 years ago I was carrying it around in the case by one handle, Now its dolly time. (old age ain't for wimps.LOL
Thanks for your help its not easy to find just the right computer when your on a budget.but you guys sure were a big help....Pose

Hey Gar:
Ran your Win cleaner again today, and man I don't no what it did, but my monitor color brightened way up and I can see-I can see.
Everything is so bright and crisp....Thanks Buddy

#213787 - 07/22/05 05:44 AM Re: Wanta buy a Laptop???
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Pose,

Email me your address again and I'll send you a CD filled with about 500 lyrics all done in MS Word.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online