SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#212324 - 08/16/00 08:27 AM PSR9000 Speaker Extraction?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Just an idle thought. . . Would it be possible to remove the speakers and their cabinets from the PSR9000? If so much of the weight comes from the wooden speaker cabinets, seems as if it would be logical to reduce the weight by removing them. Of course it would have to be reversible and could not cause damage to the internal amps.
Any thoughts?
Don

#212325 - 08/16/00 11:52 PM Re: PSR9000 Speaker Extraction?
DonM Offline

Dave, maybe one day they will ask musicians what they want, instead of telling us what we need.
I love the 9000, but I do get a little tired of lifting it. I use a small luggage dolly to transport it, so it's really not that big a problem, but I'm getting older and fatter and lazier.
Don

#212326 - 08/21/00 10:55 PM Re: PSR9000 Speaker Extraction?
COMALite J Offline

Loc: Shreveport, LA, USA
Is it that much heavier than my PSR-7000?

#212327 - 08/22/00 06:34 AM Re: PSR9000 Speaker Extraction?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Don and Uncle Dave,

It's about time you geezers started playing the harmonica. Maybe you could handle that much weight. Seriously, Uncle Dave warned you. I unhooked the speakers on my old PS6100 because I couldn't turn them off. It did not harm the internal amps. Just remember to tape up the leads going to the speakers so they don't short out. Uncle Dave, did you get your X1 fixed? I still really love mine. Don, I did send it in to Solton. They honored the warranty just fine. I still think it is noisy and there is still some distortion in the decay of the pianos but I'll live with it. They claim that I shouldn't run the master volume slide at more than half.

Tom

P.S. Don did you make it to Nashville? I'll be there next year.

Tom

#212328 - 08/22/00 11:34 PM Re: PSR9000 Speaker Extraction?
DonM Offline

Yes Joel, the 9000 is right at 50 pounds--quite a bit heaver than the 7000 and 8000. The speakers sound good, but they add weight because of the wooden cabinets.
Tom, I'm glad you're happy with the X1--that makes the sale a win-win situation, because I'm happy you have it too!
I didn't make it to Nashville for the show. The guy who was going to cover for me had a relative near death and I couldn't risk being out of town. "The show must go on."
Geezers! Wait a minute now--those old women think I sound like Elvis. (That's Elvis Presley to you whippersnappers that came along after his death.)
Dave, I remember being on the road in 1980, and having trouble getting all my gear into a full-size Chevy van. It had only the front seats, and carpet on everything else.
Now I could get it all in a VW bug. (Kids, they were smaller than the new ones.)
Well, I've got an early tee time tomorrow (11:00 a.m.) When you guys who work in offices (Tom and "Comalite") take your coffee break, think about me out there making birdies, and Old Uncle Dave probably still in bed.
Don

#212329 - 09/21/00 09:01 PM Re: PSR9000 Speaker Extraction?
DonM Offline

Hey Donnie (DNJ), Maybe you'd better read some of the posts on the various Technics forums before jumping into that new KN6000. They still seem to be having a few problems.
Maybe no more than any other brands, but I would talk to some of the happy owners first.
Don

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online