SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#211291 - 07/02/01 03:30 AM convert mp3 to midi file?
dud Online   content

Loc: israel
first I want to thank you Gunnar , Uncle dave and Dreamer for your help with midifiles ' Gunnar I solved the problem with one of the programes you mailed me ' by deleting some unusefull tracks .

how can I convert mp3 to midifile ? where can I find the programes to do that? I need the midi file of the song "it's raining men" by Gerri Halliwell ' and I'have found only the mp3 of the song.

#211292 - 07/02/01 04:22 AM Re: convert mp3 to midi file?
Roel Offline

Hi dud,
Nice to hear you fixed the 'format'-problem.
The new problem you have is as good as un-solvable.
It does sound 'easy' : MP3 to MIDI but this conversion is soooooo complicated and I know no program or machine what is able to do this and produce a good quality MIDIfile.

Imagine that the program first has to 'discriminate' ALL separate instruments and vocals by measuring typical sound characteristics. After this is done for each instrument frequencies need to be calculated to a note-number.
It's very difficult to detect a tone is original or a (2nd ?)harmonic-tone.

Human brains need some training to concentrate on one single instrument. (discriminate)
Computersoftware/hardware is only in the 'beginning phase' now and is only able to make a midi-file from a MONOPHONE signal.

In my opinion it will take another 20-50 (?) years before this is possible.
Tonight I will check my HUGE midifile database for the song you want. (I'm at work now)

Roel

#211293 - 07/02/01 06:54 AM Re: convert mp3 to midi file?
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
No problem to help you out with that midifile, check your e-Mail, but MP3 to midi is quite more difficulty stuff.
There is a program or two to convert sound/wawe into midi,but not very good, and also for one single instrument or voice at the time.
Not any good solution at all if you ask me....but as Roel says, maybe someday.

GJ

[This message has been edited by Gunnar Jonny (edited 07-02-2001).]
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online