SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#210631 - 11/25/02 05:58 PM review my music
mdolmon Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio,US
I am the proud owner of a PSR2000. although I'm just now starting to write new music using it I thought I'd ask for a small favor...I'm interested in your comments/review of some of my existing music found at www.mp3.com/mdsonic. Please let me know what you think.....I'll be adding two PSR2k pieces real soon...

------------------

#210632 - 11/25/02 06:24 PM Re: review my music
Lou Y Offline

Loc: NY USA
I like what your doing and your influences.
Can you tell me what keyboards you used and what means of recording?
Lou

#210633 - 11/26/02 05:12 AM Re: review my music
mdolmon Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lou Y:
I like what your doing and your influences.
Can you tell me what keyboards you used and what means of recording?
Lou

I all depends on the song, I have a few keyboards and modules..Most of the songs were using either a fully expanded Roland XP30 and a JV2080 as well as a Korg N5ex and a Yamaha Psr 540. All songs were recorded as midi into Cakewalk 9 or later into Sonar. Tracks were then re-recorded through a mixer as seperate audio tracks and then mixed. I'm also using Soundforge for wave editing and mastering. I also have been an using M-Audio delta 66 soundcard, Tanoy Reveal Monitors all running through a Behringer Mixer.

#210634 - 11/26/02 11:00 AM Re: review my music
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Listened to the following :

ALL ALONE
==========
Nice groove, though I kept waiting for it to start. Maybe its the bass line, something needed filling out for my taste. Good range of sounds though, lead synths a bit loud as the backing was quite dreamy in places though the percussion could have dropped more into the mix. Nice breaks though, guitar sounds well chosen but again drums too loud, and piano too. Basically great track but I thought it needed remixing or perhaps a touch of compression. On the other hand, the dynamics gave it quite a lively feel.

ALEON
======
Liked the sequential analog stuff, but then those bloody drums started!!! TURN THEM DOWN A BIT!!! I only played the dial up samples, but the drums were just too loud for the rest of the mix. Pity as there were some nice synths in the background. Would also be nice if you layered some warm sustained washes over the backing to "fill it in " a bit more.

DAWN OF TIME
============
Fire the drummer! The glassy pads worked nicely though it felt as though the track needed a bassline. Seems the music needs "binding" in some way, though that's positive criticism of course!

DREAMING
========
Something different? Mysterious intro, needs total peace to detect it but then opens into something quite beautiful! Now this is my kind of stuff, I really liked the intro on this one (very korgyish!) though in the back of my mind I couldnt help thinking that drummer was going to come back any minute... AND HEY PRESTO!!!! Sigh...

MIZU
=====
My last listen - Nice saxy sounds, Nice electric pianos. My only criticsm... well you know...!

Overall some great stuff here, but I felt the drums were always too dominent in all parts. Maybe I should listen to the hifi samples, perhaps this sub kit is accenuating the bottom end too much? Dont know but I think if you drop the percussion and bassline more into the mix, perhaps compress it up a bit if possible, then you would have something more enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing the music!

Regards
Simon

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

#210635 - 11/26/02 07:27 PM Re: review my music
trtjazz Offline

Mike,
I d/l'd them all and want to have another listen tomorrow. I have listened to the first 2 cuts.....OUTSTANDING from what I've heard so far, but I want to listen to them all before I give you a fuller review.
jam on,
Terry

#210636 - 11/27/02 03:39 AM Re: review my music
trtjazz Offline

Mike,
Had a listen to them all this a.m...........absolutely outstanding and my kind of music. I could find no flaws or suggestions with your work.

Compostions, execution, instrument selection, mix....everything. I give your work a solid 10+ for my tastes.

I normally listen to my own latest cd in progress in the morning, rechecking for everything, but this morning, I'm listening to yours.

VERY COOL! I'd like one of these cd's. Do you sell direct? Wanna swap for one of mine? http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

Thanks for sharing.
jam on,
Terry

#210637 - 11/27/02 06:34 AM Re: review my music
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hey Mike ,

Great Job ! If Miami Vice was still on TV ,I could see the producers using your music as a sound track !

Which expansion boards did you add to your Xp30 ? Dano

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 11-27-2002).]

#210638 - 11/27/02 07:12 AM Re: review my music
trtjazz Offline

DanO,
Same feeling I got exactly....Miami Vice.
Terry

#210639 - 11/27/02 08:00 AM Re: review my music
mdolmon Offline

Gee thanks (I guess) is sounding like Miami Vice good or bad I really never watched the show when it was on but I did like the theme song when it came out.....

Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
DanO,
Same feeling I got exactly....Miami Vice.
Terry

#210640 - 11/27/02 08:09 AM Re: review my music
mdolmon Offline

I used some patches from the Hiphip expansion card but most of them were from the session card that is part of the basic sound set. I also used a Yamaha Mu100 and a PSR 540 for a lot of sounds although they are tweaked a lot.....To any Yamaha Users out there I do have a studio panel I made for sound control and tweaking for Cakewalk/Sonar also a Efx studio panel for the PSR 540 and soon the PSR 550 and 2000...just email me and I'll send one to you....
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
Hey Mike ,

Great Job ! If Miami Vice was still on TV ,I could see the producers using your music as a sound track !

Which expansion boards did you add to your Xp30 ? Dano

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 11-27-2002).]

#210641 - 11/27/02 08:51 AM Re: review my music
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mdolmon:
Gee thanks (I guess) is sounding like Miami Vice good or bad I really never watched the show when it was on but I did like the theme song when it came out.....

Mije,
I meant it as a compliment...Jan Hammer (Mi Vice theme) did some very cool stuff IMO.
Terry

#210642 - 11/27/02 09:18 AM Re: review my music
mdolmon Offline

Thank you.....I've always admired his music. People have told me that my style was a bit like him and my playing a bit like Tony Banks.....Of course I'm nowhere near them but it's nice to hear that from time to time. I did get a chance to listen to a couple of your songs off of your site, I would like to discuss your use of the Chapman Stick (if that's what I saw on yur site) I've wanted to get one for a long time, I'm actually a Bass player who decided to go to keyboards sometime ago but have always wanted to experiment with one after seeing Tony Levin use one....Maybe we could continue this off of this forum if you don't mind.....
Quote:
Mije,
I meant it as a compliment...Jan Hammer (Mi Vice theme) did some very cool stuff IMO.
Terry

[This message has been edited by mdolmon (edited 11-27-2002).]

#210643 - 11/30/02 06:39 PM Re: review my music
trtjazz Offline

Mike,
After several more listens....I also get a Mike Oldfield (Tubular Bells) influence too.......very very cool.
jam on,
Terry

#210644 - 12/01/02 09:34 AM Re: review my music
mdolmon Offline

Hey thanks, I'll have some new music soon I'm mixing as we speak....
Quote:
Mike,
After several more listens....I also get a Mike Oldfield (Tubular Bells) influence too.......very very cool.
jam on,
Terry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online