SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#210029 - 02/09/05 09:56 PM Spreading ones time too thin?
capt_doug61 Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi all,
At present I'm back to learning the basics
of keyboard playing. Having played a bit of
guitar (very basic) in the past I took it
back up recently as well.
At times though dealing with practice for
both,I feel maybe I'm spreading myself too
thin and not giving each the attention it
deserves.
Sorta like a jack-of-all-trades,master of
none. Since the keyboard is my first love
for music,I'm considering dropping the
guitar for now until I get more time spent
with the keyboard and build my confidence
up.
Does anyone else on the forum play more than
one instrument,and if so what was the
learning curve/times spent on each?
Any help/advice/encouragement on this would
be greatly appreciated. It has me a bit
torn to say the least. Thanks!

Cheers,
Doug

#210030 - 02/09/05 10:00 PM Re: Spreading ones time too thin?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Doug,
Everyone has different aptitudes, but for me - playing the guitar has never hindered my kb chops. In fact, I learned to play drums years ago to improve my bass playing. There are many interactions that "make sense" between different instruments. Playing guitar can open your mind to better voicings and possibly, better technique on the kb.
If you let the guitar slip away, your fingers will soften and you'll have to start all over again ..... keep it up and put your highest energy level to the task that needs it most.

#210031 - 02/10/05 04:50 AM Re: Spreading ones time too thin?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
HI Doug,

I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat (sorry for the pun Captian!). I'm currently playing drums with a Wedding/Dance band, so at the moment I have suspended my Jazz piano lessons which I have been faithfully attending for the past 2 years. My time for the past 3 weeks has been getting my drum chops up to performance standard. Now that I have conquered that, I've now been tasked with singing up to 60 songs with this band, so I have to learn all the words and practice my vocal articulations.

I don't have time for the keyboards any longer and it get's me frustrated because I love them so much.

I guess it all boils down to priorities. I'm making HUGE money with the Wedding band, I'd be a fool to give it up!!

Best of Luck
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#210032 - 02/10/05 04:54 AM Re: Spreading ones time too thin?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Doug,

There are days when I feel like I'm stretched thinner than a #10 rubber-band across an elephant's butt. And, similar to Dave, I played guitar for years before keyboards became available. Once in a while I pick up the 12 string, strum and sing a bit, but I've long since lost my guitar playing ability. Therefore, most of my time is spent on the keyboard, which as anyone knows, practice is the only tool that leads us closer to perfection. STick with it, let your mind be creative and you'll do just fine.

Now if I could just find a few more hours to sleep!

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#210033 - 02/10/05 07:18 AM Re: Spreading ones time too thin?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I'm making HUGE money with the Wedding band

Yup. Private parties are the way to go for serious money in this business. Anyone that makes fun of playing "covers" or weddings is nuts. Even the Beatles played covers. Grateful Dead, Stones ... they ALL did it.

#210034 - 02/10/05 07:41 AM Re: Spreading ones time too thin?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Yea, time management and where to put your energy is a challenge.Making time for music and making it a high priority is the trick. I play at least 5 jobs a week on guitar, keyboards upright and electric bass. The biggest physical challenge is bass. You've got to keep your chops up, particularly if you do a lot of up-tempo soloing. Guitar, for me is less physically challenging.

I make time for music by giving up a lot of things othes participate in. I don't cut grass or do any home maintenance....play extra jobs and pay people who are better than me at it. I don't watch sports. All available extra time is spent playing and practicing.

Dave is right. Proficiency on one instrument helps with others.

The trick is to keep on doing it.

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online