SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#209415 - 12/23/01 02:54 AM Worth getting the PSR2000?
JimJamJammin Offline

Loc: Surrey, England
(NB. I originally posted this on the Yamaha forum but thought I would get a better response here)

I am thinking of getting a new keyboard. I scoured the Yamaha site looking at their keyboards, and found one that caught my interest - the Yamaha PSR2000. I have done a lot of research on this keyboard, including downloading sound samples of its demos. It's amazing how much prices can vary - although the recommended retail price is £1150, I have found it for £879.
I even took the time to travel to my local music shop, and managed to test a PSR2000 (it was their most expensive keyboard there!). However, I only got the chance to play it for about a minute, and had difficulty working out how to use it! The sound quality seemed great with the limited amount I heard, but I have to admit I wasn't too impressed with the 'looks' of the keyboard. The PSR1000 below it looked a lot more attractive!

My main priority is sound quality. Do you think the PSR2000 has good sound quality in relation to other keyboards? Do you think I should generally buy the keyboard?
I'm a semi-pro musician (and actually earn money playing as an accompanist for private singing lessons) so I was wondering if this keyboard would be right for me.

Feedback would be gratefully accepted.

-----------------------
Jamie Frost

#209416 - 12/23/01 07:45 AM Re: Worth getting the PSR2000?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Don't know about you, but I'm making a pretty good living with it, performing 4-12 times per week.
It's the most new keyboard for the money out there, I believe.
Good luck,
DonM

#209417 - 12/23/01 11:15 AM Re: Worth getting the PSR2000?
Beakybird Offline

I also make a living with it. I own two. One in my car trunk, a backup in my studio. I'm just starting to record one of my songs with it, editing and adding to one of the styles with Cakewalk. This keyboard is a fantastic songwriting tool when used in conjunction with a computer sequencer. I highly recommend this keyboard.

Larry

#209418 - 12/23/01 10:43 PM Re: Worth getting the PSR2000?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Definitely YES ! I use the PSR2000 for gigging almost exclusively now. I previously thought that (being a professional entertainer) , that only a top of the line arranger model would be acceptable, but the PSR2000's excellent sounds, styles, and features are everything I need for producing a first rate quality show. The top end (twice as expensive) PSR9000 & 9000pro have a few 'more' sounds, but all the best important ones from the 9000 are included in the PSR2000, and the 2000 is much smaller & lighter (less than half the weight & price of the PSR9000/9000pro). In addition, all the styles of the 9000 are available (for free) for the 2000 as well. The PSR2000 even has a couple of important key features that the PSR9000/9000pro lacks: 1,920 ppq style & song sequencer resolution and OTS settings integrated with style.

I really feel that the PSR2000 may be the best arranger keyboard value (dollar for dollar) available today. Jamie, if the PSR2000's price is an issue and you don't need the increased USER memory capacity of the PSR2000, the PSR1000 may be a cheaper option to consider, though it doesn't include a built in mic input with efx and vocalizer section, which would be particularly useful especially since you plan to use the keyboard for accompanying singers. - Scott

#209419 - 12/24/01 01:38 AM Re: Worth getting the PSR2000?
JimJamJammin Offline

Loc: Surrey, England
Thanks for the response. I'm almost convinced I'm getting the PSR2000 in the near future. Starland (the cheapest UK supplier of the PSR2000) have a sale starting from Boxing Day, so it all depends on whether the keyboard is included in the sale or not in terms of when I'm going to buy it. Who knows, I may have it in a week's time.

I'd rather not buy the PSR1000 because I've heard the sound quality is inferior (it only has 8Mb of data as opposed the the PSR2000's 16Mb).

Thanks for the response, and ofcourse, Merry Christmas.

#209420 - 12/24/01 07:29 AM Re: Worth getting the PSR2000?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The 1000 won't sound different, it'll just have fewer sounds. If the mic input is not important to you -- you may be able to save a few dollars on the deal. As a side thought -- the mic input will accept line signals too (mono)so a CD player or guitar can be played through the kb speakers too ... just another use for it! Go for the most you can afford right now because the value will stay higher at resale time. KB shopping is just like PC shopping -- get it while you can, because it'll be an antique very soon. These things have obsolescence built right in!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online