SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#20876 - 11/11/98 07:03 PM Matrix 6 problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recently bought a Matrix 6. I´m very happy with the sound exept for one thing. It seems that one of the six voices has a different filter setting than the others. The result is that when this voice plays it sounds brighter than the others.
I have done the "Calibration" in the main menu, which is supposed to tune the filters. The OS version is 2.13.

Please help me

/Andreas

#20877 - 03/13/99 10:18 PM Re: Matrix 6 problem
Mike Nelson Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove,MN,USA
I found the same problem on a M6-R I just picked up used. Sometimes as you say the one osc. is brighter, sometimes seems to be louder. What you could do before you decide to open it up or send it to a shop, is this: watch the periods in the display to find which is the rogue voice.Then you'll have to put your patches in key REASGN mode (got the manual?) choose which notes you don't play often and when that voice comes up, play one of those notes. At least you can contain the problem for the meantime. I bet there is a trimpot for each osc. to control the input level on the circuit board, it's amatter of finding which one there's 2 per voice. Good luck.mn

#20878 - 02/20/00 12:43 AM Re: Matrix 6 problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Simply clean the Oscillator IC's, they may be soaked in grease. Simply pull them out with an IC extractor, wipe the contacts off with a clean rag, replace. No problem!

#20879 - 02/21/00 02:50 PM Re: Matrix 6 problem
Mike Nelson Offline

I had the very same thing happen on my Matrix-6R. You need to go in and first try swapping the positions of two voice chips. Have you watched the dots at the bottom of the display to know which is different? Say the bad one is #3: you bravely open up your obie and locate the voice board. The boards Bythe way are very clearly marked. There are six 24pin chips lined up in a row marked Voice1-Voice6. Swap the #3 chip with another, and keep track since you may need to try more than one swap. Should this technique not work you'll have to find a new Curtis 3396. I'm told the wide ones are available somewhere but the narrow ones are more common. The narrow ones must have their pins gently spread horizontal and soldered to a wide DIP header. This is for someone with very good vision. Email me for more details or advice.mn

#20880 - 07/19/00 12:53 PM Re: Matrix 6 problem
Godric Offline

Loc: London
You don't want to try substituting a narrow CEM 3396 into the M6 - that is a way of guaranteeing one voice will sound different. The narrow and wide 3396 have different filters. You can probably get both from Wine Country, San Jose Calif. 95118

#20881 - 07/19/00 06:58 PM Re: Matrix 6 problem
Mike Nelson Offline

This may have been some people's experience, but not mine. I kludged a narrow package onto a header and plugged it into the wide socket and it works just fine - you can't tell the difference. In fact I can verify the advice of an earlier post; that very often you can cure it just by swapping two existing chips. I was going to swap 5&6 but was clumsy extracting 5 and busted a pin. So I put 4 in 5's spot (5 had been the odd one) and 6 into 4. Spent weeks trying to find the wide pkg, gave up and tried the kludge. Sounds great now.

Thanks for the reference to Wine Country. It's always good to have Plan B.mn

#20882 - 07/25/00 02:20 AM Re: Matrix 6 problem
Godric Offline

Loc: London
I think Mike's experience is interesting. I've got a M1000 and M6r and on some patches they sound similar and on others the differences are very audible - so it might be that on some of the patches in Mike's m6r no difference can be heard, but on others....

The info on the different filter design of the narrow and wide packages came to me from the head honcho at Wine Country and as I can hear a difference between the M1k and m6r it makes sense to me.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online