SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#208519 - 05/28/02 01:18 PM XGWorks ?
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Hi... I'm looking to find a place, perferably US, that I can buy Yamaha's XG Works from. The Yamaha UK site just runs me in circles. Anyone ? Also, is 3.0 the latest version of this software ? THanks...

Esh

PS: I'd be willing to trade some software for a copy of XGWorks 3.0 if anyone is interested. Email: jimeshleman@hotmail.com

#208520 - 05/28/02 03:30 PM Re: XGWorks ?
Jupitar5 Offline

Loc: United States
Hello Esh,

You can purchase XGworks from here XG Works 3.0 You will also see tutorials, updates etc (3.05) here, and the like at yamaha websites etc/ XG works updates and tutorial videos

J5

#208521 - 05/28/02 04:34 PM Re: XGWorks ?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I own both a Yamaha PSR2000 and a PC running Windows XP, and am exploring the possibility of purchasing XG Works 3.0 for music production (PSR2000 & vocals).

I currently own Cakewalk Sonar and am wondering how XG Works' digital audio & midi recording/editing features and overall ease of use, compares with Cakewalk Pro Audio & Sonar.

Does XG Works include an instrument definitions 'patch list' file so you can easily call up any of the PSR2000's keyboard sounds & drumkits directly from XG Works?

Will XG Works allow you to edit midi data while audtioning the changes in REAL time (loop mode)? Unfortunately, 'Cakewalk Pro Audio' and 'Cakewalk Sonar' does NOT support this. On the other hand, 'Emagic Logic' does.

Does XG Works support converting PSR2000 midi files into XG Works audio files (along with the XG Works vocal tracks) and then convert this into an MP3, WAV, Windows Media, and/or Real Media Player file format?

Anyone here have experience with both Cakewalk & XG Works? Are there any avantages to getting XG Works if I already have Cakewalk Sonar? Feedback & advice appreciated.

Still loving the PSR2000,

- Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#208522 - 05/28/02 08:10 PM Re: XGWorks ?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Scott,

I have XG works but only a very basic Cakewalk sequencer ( Express ). I've demoed Sonar too. There aren't "definition files" for XG works that work in the sameway as they do in Cakewalk, but there are instrument files for the older PSR models plus an update from XG works site that included the newer models. I am not certain whether or not the 2000 has been added. All of the "standard" XG voices patches are recognized. I had not checked for a 2000 update myself, but was using the 740 and 9000 instrument files to call up the panel voices on the 2000 ( They are a virtual match except that the 2000 has a few different voices

Things I like about XG works :

Good midi editing capabilities.

Ability to import and utilize any Yamaha SFF style ( including those properly converted from other manufacturers ). you could step write a song by entering the chords and variations from any style and have it play back in XG works. I no longer have a PSR keyboard, but even though my Motif doesn't read "XG" the style playback from XG works still sounds excellent.

XG edit function. This was very important to me when I had the 740. I was able to edit parameters in an XG midifile that were not available to me on the board including adding and editing an insertion effect for an individual track and editing severl synth paramters. It was less improtant with the 2000 because most of those controls are available on the board itself, but XG edit allows for editing synth parameters in greater detail than the 2000 if it matters.

The midi file importer, which allows you to import any number of midi files and place them at any measure in XG works. ( Great for me for layering and / or adding several mini midifiles of drum and bass patterns made in Jammer Pro )

Things I don't like:

The inability to add / modify custom patch files. I want to ( and still do ) use XG works when working with the PA80 and the Motif, but changing patches is a royal pain because I have to enter the patch and bank data manually in the "list" window. sometimes it's just easier to fire up Cakewalk, change the patches there, and save and reopen the file back in XG works.

The manual is in PDF format and like many other manual's it leaves a bit to be desired. They give a basic written booklet of "how to's", but the booklet is not the manual. The manual is available only as computer PDF document. PDF is fine but it's a pain compared to opening up a book. This is a rather complicated ( but intuitive ) piece of software. I needed to utilize the manual to learn about several of the functions, but instead, more times than not, trial and error was the mode of the day.

Things I really don't care much about:

Limited audio functionality. XG works strength is in it's midi and xg functionality. For audio editing and recording, I use N Track studio and Cool Edit. I have tried Cakewalk and all the other major contenders, but for me N Track shines above all, and is a tremendous value for the price. N track also has a sequencer, but it's strength is audio, just as XG works strength is midi. The two softwares sync perfectly together and with my synths as well.

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 05-29-2002).]

#208523 - 05/29/02 08:03 AM Re: XGWorks ?
Mogens Offline

It seems that XGWorks dont operate under WindowsXP (I tried the demo).

#208524 - 05/29/02 08:37 AM Re: XGWorks ?
Scottyee Offline

Jupitar5: Thanks for the XG Works links.

Bluezplayer:
Many thanks for your valuable input. The ability of XGWorks to recognize Yamaha SFF styles and Yamaha specific arranger type FF Meta events (chord names , etc) is enough to convince me it will be useful for me, as Cakewalk does NOT support this.

I know asked this question in my original posting above, but does XGWorks allow you to perform midi editing 'on the fly' allowing you to hear your edited changes in 'real' time?

Mogens:
I think there's a brand new XG Works 3.xx updater patch (downloadable?) which updates XG Works 3.0 to work with Windows XP. Can anyone provide details on this?

Anyone here running XG Works on Windows XP yet? Any known issues?

Thanks,

Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 05-29-2002).]

#208525 - 05/29/02 11:19 AM Re: XGWorks ?
Bluezplayer Offline

Yes, XG works allows me to make changes on the fly and it has a loop function which allows me to play around with a section and make changes in real time.

#208526 - 05/29/02 11:53 AM Re: XGWorks ?
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
Thanks J5 for the info... I ordered XGworks from zZounds today. And thanks to BP for the XGWorks info. BTW: do you know if XGWorks has an instrument file for the 9000 Pro ?

BTW: I use Sonar 2.0 currently for tweaking my sequences into shape and it does a pretty good job of allowing me to pick sounds for my 9000 Pro (I found an instrument definition file on the web for the PSR9000 that works). It also allows me to set some basic effects parameters. I expect XG Works to allow me to do some deeper XG programming, especially as it relates to EQ and insertion effects, plus use some of the expansion board editors that came with my PLG boards.

If anyone here knows of anything better than XG Works for XG sequencing, I'd like to hear about it...

#208527 - 05/29/02 12:30 PM Re: XGWorks ?
Mogens Offline

Scott, you're right - there's an update available for running XGWorks on WindowsXP. Download from http://www.yamaha.co.uk/xg/html/midplug/m_mid10.htm - but just for for XGWorks Version 3.0-3.0x (I tried to update the XGWorks demo, but no luck).

#208528 - 05/29/02 01:03 PM Re: XGWorks ?
DMC Offline

Loc: NY City
Hey,
Yamaha will be introducing an all new sequencer "very soon" that will employ their new technology "OPT". They were calling it Version 5 at one time, but I think its going to be called something else....we'll see...
OPT technology will allow you to use DX and VST plugins and more(check the yamaha sites about this)....
I like to do all my xg sequencing in XGWorks. Its THE ONLY sequencer which will allow you to access ALL perimeters of XG midi WITHOUT a 3rd party editor(such as xgpad or xgedit). Once Ive finished with all the midi stuff, I open the midi up in Sonar and do all my audio, etc. I dont like the audio aspect of xgworks - sonar is much better at audio!!! Make sure you get the updates (3.05e & patch for XP) again at the Yamaha sites.If you haven't bought it yet, you might want to wait on the new version, last I heard, they expected to release it sometime this summer.

DudeManCentral

[This message has been edited by DMC (edited 05-29-2002).]

#208529 - 05/29/02 01:35 PM Re: XGWorks ?
Scottyee Offline

Hey Dude,

I just purchased XG Works 3.0 from Zzounds and then returned here to find your post about the next version of XG Works due for release very soon. Oh well.

I assume (from reading the XG Works 3.07 updater description at: http://www.yamaha.co.uk/xg/html/midplug/m_mid10.htm )

that I really only need to install the 3.07 updater patch, and do NOT need to install the earlier 3.05e patch first. Does this make sense?

The 3.07 updater patch description says:
"XGWorks V3.07 XP patch (Zip 9.84MB).
OS Windows XP Professional and XPHome.
This file is for XG-Works Version 3.0-3.0x users."

- Scott

#208530 - 05/30/02 05:09 AM Re: XGWorks ?
DMC Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
.....Does this make sense?....- Scott

Dont know about that....I will say that the 3.05e update is something that you want. It improves the midi timing and added alot of really nice drag-N-drop capabilities and is very stable. You can just drag any change into a sequence anywhere you want it... it can't get any easier.....

Happy XGing,
DudeManCentral

#208531 - 05/30/02 10:29 AM Re: XGWorks ?
Scottyee Offline

DudeMan:

I assume from what you are saying that I MUST install BOTH patches (3.05e & 3.07) to gain both the features of 3.05e (improved midi timing, drag drop support, added stability, etc) and 3.07 (XP compatibility). I had previously thought that 3.07 would have incorporated all the updates in 3.05e as well. I guess I'll plan to install BOTH 3.05e and 3.07, after installing the 3.0 box version purchased from ZZounds. I just hope 3.0 & 3.05e will install ok on my XP computer, as supposedly XG Works is not compabitble with XP until the 3.07 update patch is installed.

Who here is running XG Works on Windows XP?

Thanks,

Scott

#208532 - 05/30/02 12:56 PM Re: XGWorks ?
DMC Offline

Quote:
.....I assume from what you are saying that I MUST install BOTH patches (3.05e & 3.07) to gain both the features of 3.05e .........

IM SAYING THAT I DONT KNOW IF YOU DO

Quote:
......I just hope 3.0 & 3.05e will install ok on my XP computer, as supposedly XG Works is not compabitble with XP until the 3.07 update patch is installed....

HMMM, I BET IT WONT

good luck,
DMC

#208533 - 07/15/02 07:28 PM Re: XGWorks ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, I just ordered XG Works 3 from Zzounds today myself. I live in Japan and only the Japanese language version is available domestically.

What I wanted to add to this thread was that someone had mentioned that a new version of XG Works was coming out soon. I don't doubt that this is true but I DO know that XG Works 4.0 was just released in Japan and that that version will never be released in the US. I had a look at it and it doesn't seem very different from Version 3 at all.

I inquired to the Yamaha XP online shop in the UK about it and received this response in regards to Version 4:

>I am sorry, but XGworks 4.0 was released >for the Japanese market only and will not >be released in any other language.

>Best regards

>Marco Paris
>www.yamahamusicsoft.com
>www.digitalmusicworld.com

So what someone in here said about the new version being called 5 is probably right on target. But since everything that is eventually released overseas by Yamaha is initially released domestically and Version 4 JUST came out I am dubious that Version 5 will be out in an English version anytime soon.

I've used the XG Works 3 demo and I love the program so I'm really looking forward to my full version. I use it with a an MU-100 tone generator.

Cheers,

Grizzly

#208534 - 07/16/02 07:49 AM Re: XGWorks ?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Yamaha has discontinued XGWorks completely, and any remaining copies that are on shelves will be the last according to Yamaha Support. Yamaha is throwing it's support behind Cakewalk Sonar and has already released O.P.T. (free plug-in voice editing) panels for their Motifs and Sonar 2.0.

#208535 - 07/16/02 02:53 PM Re: XGWorks ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not to be argumentative but again, Yamaha may have discontinued all international sales of XGWorks English Version but they are still producing XGWorks Japanese version (Currently at Version 4) and have a huge market for it over here in Japan. The Japanese version comes in a big heavy box with (I assume) a fully bound manual so I was dissappointed to hear about the PDF manual in the English Version box. But then again XGWorks 4.0 Japanese retails for about $300.00 over here. Then again Cakewalk Sonar is almost 3 times as much.

I just got confirmation on the shipping of my copy of XG Works 3 from Zzounds so I'm satisfied. :-D

Cheers,

Grizzly

#208536 - 07/16/02 03:20 PM Re: XGWorks ?
Scottyee Offline

I am an owner of BOTH Cakewalk Sonar & XGWorks 3.0.The BIG advantage of using XGWorks 3.0 over Cakewalk Sonar, when editing midi files created on a Yamaha PSR keyboard, is that XGWorks recognizes all 'Yamaha specific' system exclusive FF type 'meta' events. This meta event data includes Yamaha XF events which are used to store 'lyric' data as well as the auto accomp 'chord' data. When a midi file containing this data is loaded into Cakewalk Sonar (or any 'other' sequencing software program for that matter), the auto accomp 'chord' data & lyric data is NOT recognized (by Sonar) and thus not loaded into the program. Therefore, when you attempt to save the midi file (in Sonar), all 'chord' and 'lyric' data is completely lost.

Scott

#208537 - 07/16/02 09:01 PM Re: XGWorks ?
JonPro Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I am an owner of XGWorks Vs.3. My information (from Yam. Support) was that version 4 would not be released outside of Japan, BUuuuuuuT, Vs.5 (a cleaned up version 4 for the english lang.)was being completed by Yam. UK.

Jon.

#208538 - 07/17/02 10:14 AM Re: XGWorks ?
DMC Offline

Yes, that is correct except from what Ive heard, they are no longer calling it XGworks 5. Also, they were going to release it outside of Japan first.
Keep an eye out for it at summer namm...... As someone else has pointed out, yamaha has released the new opt stand-alone editor(which is really nice) for the Motif. Yamaha is also working on XGEdit in the opt format. This will be great for Sonar users as it will work just like any other plugin (with out having to use third party software such as hubis or others).

DudeManCentral

Quote:
Originally posted by JonPro:
I am an owner of XGWorks Vs.3. My information (from Yam. Support) was that version 4 would not be released outside of Japan, BUuuuuuuT, Vs.5 (a cleaned up version 4 for the english lang.)was being completed by Yam. UK.

Jon.

[This message has been edited by DMC (edited 07-17-2002).]

#208539 - 07/17/02 10:30 AM Re: XGWorks ?
Scottyee Offline

As a recently 'new' XGWorks 3 owner myself, I hope Yamaha will offer some kind of 'price discount' for current XGWorks 3 owners to upgrade to their 'new' XGWorks 5 equivilent. Of course with the way Yamaha handled the whole PSR2000 flash ROM fiasco, I won't be holding my breath.

#208540 - 07/17/02 10:32 AM Re: XGWorks ?
DMC Offline

Here is a quote from yamahasynth site(address below):

"Yamaha's first product to support this new system (OPT) will be the SQ01 sequencer, which is bundled free with the Yamaha S08 synthesiser and will be included with future hardware from Yamaha."

So XGWorks 5.0 will be called SQ01.....
the link is http://www.yamahasynth.com/pro/opt/index.html

DudeManCentral

#208541 - 07/18/02 01:28 AM Re: XGWorks ?
JonPro Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
What a grizzzzzle !!!
From reading the site and the FAQs, it looks like Yamaha are trying to re-define the middleware for the world of midi sequencing etc. Whether they will succeed depends on the acceptance and support of third party developers. Remember IBM and OS2? Yuk! Here we go again folks.

As for a cross grade from XGWorks to what ever the Yamaha brave new world is - don't hold your breath. From reading all the waffle it sounds like our beloved XGWorks is dead - long live son of XGWorks! It's all very well trying to create one brave new grand standard but from experience, that takes years for acceptance and implementation, even if it succeeds. In the meantime Yamaha MUST take care of its installed base through support and necessary upgrades, and then provide a seemless migration path to the new product set (whenever that is ready). Does this sound like the Yamaha we have become to know and "love"? If they are serious about software development and their reputation in this area not to mention third party acceptance of their new standard, then they will.

I just hope that the management that was "in charge" of the PSR2000 flash ROM fiasco are nowhere near this project. Please, KEEP THEM AWAY!!!
Jon.

#208542 - 07/22/02 11:25 AM Re: XGWorks ?
Vquestor Offline

Does XG Works support custom scales
that will allow quarter tones(like in
the PSR-550, 1000, and 2000)?
Also will the Sonar plug-in (that you
say Yamaha is working on) be able to
do this?

#208543 - 07/22/02 03:30 PM Re: XGWorks ?
Bluezplayer Offline

I can't find nor have I ever seen a utility inside of XG Works that specifically allows you to pre-define custom scales. You can in the XG edit mode edit any existing track down to 1 /24th semitones. You can also insert a new semitone parameter at the beginning of any track and play from there with the exact pitches you like, but you would have to insert any semitone changes that you want at the specific interval that you want it to occur, much like doing a CC change or any other edit in a standard midi file. Also, you will need an XG synth or module because none of the XG functions work with non XG devices.

I don't use XG works very often any more as I now have Sonar and I don't have any XG boards at this time ( although I may at some point get the XG plug in for my Motif ). Still, the one reason I'll always keep XG works is that I can step record and insert chords with it using any of the Yamaha arranger patterns or others converted to Yamaha .sty files. The software recognizes all of the variations in a style and many chord types, including chords with bass inversions.

AJ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online