SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#20815 - 06/10/06 11:37 PM matrix 1000-garbled noises instead of patches
sammymyMAN!!!! Offline

Loc: portland,oregon,usa
it started this after being left on overnight-it still responds to midi-all six voices are there,some patches play almost ok,yet they break up into distortion-mostly,i get a continuous badsound.
when i move sliders in ob6000,i can hear them trying to do things-i opened it up,nothing is loose-i am baffled-anyone have any ideas/suggestions?any help is appreciated!
thanks!
sammy

------------------
eat and sleep-TODAY!!!

#20816 - 06/21/06 05:26 AM Re: matrix 1000-garbled noises instead of patches
Justin Gazda Offline

Loc: Marietta GA, USA
I have a matrix 6r, and a common trait it shares with the 1000 are absolute crud chip sockets-but do not fear. Unplug unit and discharge yourself on a water pipe. with a jewelers scrwedriver, carefully re-seat the socketed chips. don't pull the chips out all the way- halfway will do, and push them back in. If this does not work, one of those chips may be bad, most likely the larger digital chips. the problem would not be with the CEM 3396's but they should be reseated anyway. If front panel works as usual, It may have something to do with the chip that creates the reference oscillations, or the chips that divide the reference down to 12 pulse waves that enter the CEM 3396 to be processed. But im talking too much. Re-seat those chips and test it. While you're under the hood, once it has been on, if it screws up, check the power supply. I think it has the garden variety 5,-5 and 12 supplies. If you still get garbles, check all the 5 volt regulators, the ones that say 7805 on them. Look straight at it, the right leg is the emitter. it should read very close to five(4.98, 5.01). Write down everthing you measure. If the power supply checks out, I'll tell you the next step. If one of the 7805's turns out to be bad, your local electronics store carries them, as they are common. Let me know what happens.

[This message has been edited by Justin Gazda (edited 06-21-2006).]

#20817 - 06/23/06 07:08 AM Re: matrix 1000-garbled noises instead of patches
sammymyMAN!!!! Offline

Loc: portland,oregon,usa
hey thanks,Justin!
I will try the reseating this weekend-
I dont know much about electronics,but I assume testing the powersupply with a multitester shouldnt be too difficult-
I will get back to you.....
thanks again!
D

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online